IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tires recommendation?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 08:10 AM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neomedic
^^^ WHere does the Continental Extreme Contact DW or DWS compare? It wasn't included in the C&D test =(

But has awesome tread wear 300+
DW is a great summer tire, will destroy the Hankooks.
The DWS are a good all season, my brother runs them and they are not to bad in snow.
Old 01-18-12, 08:10 AM
abitta1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Let us know what you end up buying and post pics!
what brand do you suggest? and what size should i chose this time?

I had 225/30/20 front
275/30/20 rear
Old 01-18-12, 08:14 AM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

I actually think if you want a summer tire the Nitto NT555 is a good choice. I ran both Invo and NT555 and preferred the NT555 better.

The Conti DW is great if you don't mind spending the money.
The Hankooks are a good tire if your not looking for max performance, a pretty good all around tire( quiet, good wear).

Don't go totally by the treadwear ratings as from brand to brand this is different.
Old 01-18-12, 08:18 AM
abitta1
Rookie

Originally Posted by CarbonDtls
I actually think if you want a summer tire the Nitto NT555 is a good choice. I ran both Invo and NT555 and preferred the NT555 better.

The Conti DW is great if you don't mind spending the money.
The Hankooks are a good tire if your not looking for max performance, a pretty good all around tire( quiet, good wear).

Don't go totally by the treadwear ratings as from brand to brand this is different.
why do you like the NT555 better than the invo??
Old 01-18-12, 08:20 AM
abitta1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Don't waste your money on tires that cost WAY too much for what you'll probably use them for. I got the Hancook Ventus V12. REAL close in comparison and way cheaper.
what size tires are you running? and how does your car ride?
Old 01-18-12, 08:29 AM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by abitta1
why do you like the NT555 better than the invo??
I just felt they performed better in dry, but the Invo better in wet and quieter.

Last edited by CarbonDtls; 01-18-12 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-18-12, 08:38 AM
abitta1
Rookie

I just felt they performed better in dry, but the Invo better in wet and quieter.
that's why I got the Invos for less noise.
how about the falken tires?
Old 01-18-12, 09:35 AM
HighImStan
Pole Position

I have gone through Michelin PS2s, Yokohama S-drive and ride with a few IS's with V12 and can honestly say V12s are the best given the price. Yokohama's ride was not as smooth. PS2s had a nice ride but was expensive. They also wear down pretty quickly as well. Get the V12s.
Old 01-18-12, 10:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Actual experience with both the EVO and PS2.

The Evo was sloppy, way to soft. Not a max performance tire, maybe a good touring tire.
Is it ok for the average person sure but there are better options.
Continental DW ia way better.

Car and Driver is bias, just look at the way they drool at BMW and VW.
I agree there's bias, but doesn't seem like it's on C&Ds part.

They posted objective track numbers by professional drivers. The V12 Evo beat the PS2 overall.

If you can explain how their "bias" takes a tire you claim isn't in the same class and somehow lets it put up superior braking or autocross numbers I'd be interested to hear it though.

In the subjective portion of the reviews they mentioned the V12 doesn't "feel" like it's as good a tire as its actual performance indicates, and perhaps you saw that too, but you provide no objective evidence the actual performance was inferior.

Especially when others, even in this very thread, who've also driven on both pick the V12s.
Old 01-18-12, 06:26 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I agree there's bias, but doesn't seem like it's on C&Ds part.

They posted objective track numbers by professional drivers. The V12 Evo beat the PS2 overall.

If you can explain how their "bias" takes a tire you claim isn't in the same class and somehow lets it put up superior braking or autocross numbers I'd be interested to hear it though.

In the subjective portion of the reviews they mentioned the V12 doesn't "feel" like it's as good a tire as its actual performance indicates, and perhaps you saw that too, but you provide no objective evidence the actual performance was inferior.

Especially when others, even in this very thread, who've also driven on both pick the V12s.
Well in the last tire test the Hankook got destroyed in every category.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=149

I'm sure the tire is not to bad but its mislabeled as a max performance tire because it is not.
Old 01-18-12, 06:52 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Falken F452 have great traction, both dry and wet on my Isp modes(18x8 &18x8.5). They are louder the crap compared to my bridgestones(last set). Not sure on tread life. I've had them for less than 10,000, but heard alot about fast wear thou. Probly true. I would get the V12s since its great all around tire and great reviews. Im pretty sure your not gonna track the car with 20's lol. Goodluck and let see some pics after.
Old 01-18-12, 06:59 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Well in the last tire test the Hankook got destroyed in every category.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=149

I'm sure the tire is not to bad but its mislabeled as a max performance tire because it is not.
Uh... did you read your own link?

For one, they didn't test the PS2 at all, which was the tire I compared it to... further-

Here's their conclusion about the Hankook-

Originally Posted by tire rack
Conclusion: A value-priced Max Performance Summer tire
(bold added)

and later in the review-

All four of the value-priced tires in our test deliver sporty handling appropriate for the Max Performance Summer category.
As to the test results-
In the charts- all the 'real world' graphs the Hankooks aren't last in any of em...they're generally within 5% of the score of #1 in fact.

Track data is slightly worse, but still generally within 10% of the top score.

In braking distance it actually beats one of the tires by several feet (and none beat it even 2)

Overall scores were basically a dead tie with one of the other 3 tires (6.83 vs 6.9 overall)... and less than 7% score difference between the Hankooks and first place... it was quite close between all 4 overall. Nobody destroyed anything in this test.

Not sure how you consider them "destroyed" in every category either...read the text descriptions and their handling was described as
delivered similar overall handling and steering response, but displayed a small amount of lag in the initial response to driver inputs.
In other words, handling and steering were similar to all the other tires tested, but had a slight input lag in comparison.

For ride quality the Hankook was described as
a little less refined than the Sumitomo and Dunlop tires.
Noise?

Overall noise levels for all four tires were similar

You keep using the word destroyed.... I do not think it means what you think it means

Even your own source seems to think they're plenty qualified to be in the max performance category.

When even the folks you're trying to quote to support you think you're wrong it might be time to reconsider your opinion.

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-18-12 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 07:03 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Thought I would add this link as well:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148

I've been looking for tires as well... and my 2 cents:

If your looking for best bang for the buck, it will be the Hankook v12. And if you are willing to spend a tad bit more, the Continental Extreme contact DW is good for everyday comfort and has better tread wear, thus hopefully able to stretch your dollar more.

And if you are looking for pure performance, than its either Michelin PS2 or Bridgestone s-04 Pole position.

My personal vote will be the Continental Extreme Contact DW because I don't drive that hard, my IS is daily driver and want to stretch my dollar on the tread life.

Last edited by neomedic; 01-18-12 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 07:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by neomedic
Thought I would add this link as well:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148

I've been looking for tires as well... and my 2 cents:

If your looking for best bang for the buck, it will be the Hankook v12. And if you are willing to spend a tad be more, the Continental Extreme contact DW is good for everyday comfort and has better tread wear, thus hopefully able to stretch your dollar more.

And if you are looking from pure performance, than its either Michelin PS2 or Bridgestone s-04 Pole position.

My personal vote will be the Continental Extreme Contact DW because I don't drive that hard, it's a daily driver and want to stretch my dollar on the tread life.

Clarification- the "pure performance" would be the Michelin PSS.... the PS2 is the old model that lost to the Hankook V12s in the C&D testing.

It's worth nothing though the tire rack score for the Hankooks, bumped by 10%, is identical to that of those Bridgestone S-04s...for a lot more than 10% less money... The PSS you'd need to bump the Hankook score by about 12%... and again they're a fair bit more than 12% cheaper... Hence why the V12 shows up so well in bang/buck compared to these guys.

Now, the DW... that's looking pretty good for bang/buck since the Hankook rebate seems to have ended in 2011... it's only about 5% more now for the Continentals, for a 9% performance bump... so buying today I might well suggest those... (in 2011 it was more like a 20% difference for that 9% performance bump thanks to the Hankook rebate)

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-18-12 at 07:18 PM.