IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

eeeek.. I had a BIg bo bo last night.. looking for some CL knowledge!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-12, 02:32 PM
Parker12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry eeeek.. I had a BIg bo bo last night.. looking for some CL knowledge!!

Hey guys,

i last night did some bad driving/ bad decision making and scratched up my car pretty good, got the hood, roof and trunk..

While i was gonna let my x mas bonus buy wheels and tires, it is now going towards gettin her back to square 1.. But this time square 1 is going to be slightly modded...

First and for most i am looking for a reputable body shop in So Cal (LA area) that i could get a rear spoiler molded. Love the look and have always wanted to do it, but never had the reason to spend the extra dough.. So now is the time more than ever, and i would love to get my car back with an even better look...

Second, how hard would it be for me to replace the hood and trunk for that matter? Does not seem that hard with a second set of hands.. Right?? The trunk seems like a bit more just cause of electrical.. but I'm pretty sure i can mimic whats on their now to the new one... and then i can red out the tails also!

The roof tho, this might be the hard part for me... I don't plan on doing myself at ALL, but more wondering how labor intensive this is and if it is even worth it. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with messing with their roofs mainly, so i can see what a body shop might be trying to tell me in terms of labor costs etc.

Basically i need 3 things replaced and/or sanded and re sprayed:
  • Hood
  • Roof
  • Trunk

Scratches are pretty deep and would be hard to buff out... I am about to head out to my detailing guy Daniel at Burbank Auto Detail, to catch some more bad news.. or maybe grab news but i doubt it..

If you all have any book marked pages on your computer to a Smokey Granite Mica IS with a carbon fiber hood and/or black roof or something i would love to get a feel for what might be in store for me... I have found one that looks pretty good but its also has a few more mods on in that mine would...

Thanks for reading and wish me luck, ill need it..

Park
Old 01-16-12, 02:42 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Pics?

Hood and trunk can both be easily replaced with an extra set of hands (or two.. lol)

For fixing the roof... that might get expensive. Depending on price, you could make an insurance claim and get it fixed right and just pay your deductible...
Old 01-16-12, 02:53 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

We are going to need to see some pics here to better understand what level of damage you have.

What exactly happened? My guess is ex-GF found you with another girl and keyed your car.
Old 01-16-12, 03:21 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Let's see the damage. How did all this happen anyways
Old 01-16-12, 03:51 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

how bad's the damage? not everything can be detailed/buffed out..
Old 01-16-12, 04:06 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Btw if you're talkin about molding a Wald spoiler expect to spend at least a grand for the job. That's what most the guys here paid. I spent about $500 bc I bought a rep and did the job myself
Old 01-16-12, 05:04 PM
Parker12
Driver School Candidate

Well long and short... Car got driven under a chain that was saying "parking lots closed" i did not see until its on my windscreen and did not sift my foot from the gas to break and well you can guess what happens then... the coated chain drags goes up and over my car and damages the respective panels..

Detail guy says he's gonna take a stab at it wednesday and if it looks like its not worth it then he's gonna stop and advise other options... Good thing is he knows where i stand and that i am fully ready to replace the panels, and/or get it sanded and re sprayed. But the way we both see it its like no harm in 150 for a buff/blend job and if he isn't getting very far then we look at our other options.. agreed here CL members??

Pics coming right now... car got rained on yesterday, so its a little dirty but ill try to get some detailed pics for you all and upload... to be quite honest, its pretty shameful to post but i guess y'all gotta see the damage so now you can tell your homes what happenes when you drive through a coated chain link

thanks for this..
Attached Thumbnails eeeek.. I had a BIg bo bo last night.. looking for some CL knowledge!!-img_0056.jpg   eeeek.. I had a BIg bo bo last night.. looking for some CL knowledge!!-img_0057.jpg   eeeek.. I had a BIg bo bo last night.. looking for some CL knowledge!!-img_0061.jpg   eeeek.. I had a BIg bo bo last night.. looking for some CL knowledge!!-img_0060.jpg   eeeek.. I had a BIg bo bo last night.. looking for some CL knowledge!!-img_0062.jpg  

Old 01-16-12, 05:12 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think judging from thew pics that you need paint only. Not replace the trunk and hood. Good luck!
Old 01-16-12, 05:17 PM
Parker12
Driver School Candidate

so you think go ahead with the buff job and then maybe get a nice paint job done on the damaged panels??

i just wanted to get wheel and tires, not fix my paint...
Attached Thumbnails eeeek.. I had a BIg bo bo last night.. looking for some CL knowledge!!-img_0059.jpg  
Old 01-16-12, 05:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I think judging from thew pics that you need paint only. Not replace the trunk and hood. Good luck!
and a wash. GL
Old 01-16-12, 05:27 PM
Adik
Pole Position

from the looks of it... you just need a buff
Old 01-16-12, 06:19 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It'll buff out
Old 01-16-12, 06:21 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yah, like others said , don't think you need any major work IMO.
Old 01-16-12, 06:23 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Definitely keep us posted on the results!

Subscribed
Old 01-16-12, 06:50 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like most will buff out. Get some 3m rubbing compound. Thing works wonders. Try that first. Gl

Quick Reply: eeeek.. I had a BIg bo bo last night.. looking for some CL knowledge!!