IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY - for an oops moment. Tried to replace cabin air filter without setting to circ.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 09:28 AM
nbrooks503
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for this

Apparently the local oil change place doesn't know about the correct setting for the recirculate prior to removing the cabin filter. As part of the oil change they generally pull the cabin and engine air filters to try to convince you to purchase their expensive one.

After the last oil change my wife complained of traffic exhaust smells in the cabin and low and behold I checked this site and saw the problem. Luckily, nothing was broken but the lever had popped off the armature, using this guide it was a quick job to remove everything and pop the armature back on.

Thanks
Old 08-09-14, 10:43 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm going to get a red marker and write STOP! RTFM! on my cover when it's down. Oh and my squeak has gone away by itself.
Old 08-20-14, 06:06 PM
waiman3
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changing cabin filter today, seem prior owner already broke the hinge.
Can hear the motor humming but the cover stay down.

Not sure try to fix or just leave as is...
Old 03-16-15, 02:41 PM
jamesli
Driver School Candidate

If the motor is no longer working you can order a new one from Sewell for $125 with the CL discount (8710630430). Please double check with a Lexus parts tech to ensure that is the correct part number.
For this certain part, is it 87106 30480 (SERVO SUB-ASSY, DAMP SERVO SUB-ASSY, DAMP)? It seems the 87106 30430 is for air mix, anyone care to verify?

I'm not sure because I haven't checked whether my servo is broken or not, it might just be the arm like you said....
Old 07-03-15, 03:20 PM
carvelo
Driver School Candidate

Can't thank you enough for posting this how-to. Having lived with this for years, I finally decided to do something about it. I'd been quoted several prices > $1K and the cheapest I heard was $800 to fix this.

This took me 30 minutes and $6 worth of Loctite. It always takes me a lot longer to do things on my car, so 30 minutes is nothing.

Simple procedure. Do it if you have this problem!

Old 07-25-15, 08:00 PM
cwajciec
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed fresh air door with new door part

Hi all, I've really enjoyed the forums and they have helped me tremendously. I too broke my fresh air damper assembly on my ISF and glued it back together. This broke also so I dove in to fix the door correctly without removing the whole blower assembly.
I ordered PART #8702030020 which came with the pivoting door and a new arm. Here is what I did.
1. Remove kick panel, knee airbag, and glovebox
2. Remove the 2 black screws that hold a duct and an electrical box. Move both to expose the broken arm on the end of the rotating door.
3. You will see 4 silver screws with the heads pointing down that hold the top half of the door housing to the bottom half. Remove.
4. You will see a 10mm bolt on the top-right half of the housing. Remove.
5. There is a Phillips screw with the head pointing to the drivers side on top of the housing. Very hard to get to, but remove this screw as well.
6. Pull apart the upper housing at the split in the middle. Be careful but the left half will move quite far. It helps to reach toward the firewall and undo a plastics clip holding the housing together.
7. Wiggle the old door out and the new door in. I pulled the left hinge out first and then the right. Take your time.
8. Install the new door arm with a click. Reassemble and test.

This took me about 45 minutes to do and cost around $35. I hope this helps someone that is handy and who doesn't want to glue their ISF back together.
The following 3 users liked this post by cwajciec:
Arrta (08-20-17), cfauvel (07-05-21), Skier76 (07-21-17)
Old 09-01-15, 01:49 PM
jamesli
Driver School Candidate

Same quoted price everywhere $800 the cheapest, and others quoted over a grand. Have this issue for an entire year now, finally getting my hands on it to fix it! Found the assembly on eBay for 30 bucks, hope that fixes it!
Old 09-03-15, 09:13 AM
erikm5150
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jamesli
Same quoted price everywhere $800 the cheapest, and others quoted over a grand. Have this issue for an entire year now, finally getting my hands on it to fix it! Found the assembly on eBay for 30 bucks, hope that fixes it!
Would you mind sharing the link to the assembly on ebay?
I may have to buy one of those too, thanks!
Old 09-04-15, 11:02 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by erikm5150
Would you mind sharing the link to the assembly on ebay?
I may have to buy one of those too, thanks!
Should be about $35 give or take.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...amper&_sacat=0
Old 09-07-15, 03:12 PM
V8drummer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently started having an issue with this. I was driving down the road and out of nowhere I heard a weird jamming noise from behind the glovebox.

I did some research and figure it had to do with the cabin filter mechanism.

However, the cabin filter door opens and closes just fine when I cycle between recirculate and fresh air. It just makes a jamming noise once I press fresh air and the door closes all the way.

The last time the cabin air filter had been touched was a month ago when I got an oil change at Toyota.

Is it likely I have a different issue as the door seems to operate properly?
Old 09-12-15, 10:20 AM
jamesli
Driver School Candidate

Default Dissected the glove box and cabin, but a different issue now?

However, after checking today, it seems that the two plastic arm that links the servo to the cabin filter door were out of sync; therefore, it caused the arms to hit each other creating the clicking sound. Here's what I did:
    1. Removed the arm on the cabin filter door and reset it so that the arms are in sync again.
    2. Put everything back together.

Here comes the question:
    I can now change from circulation to fresh air mode with no issues and no clicking sound, BUT!!!!! I am hearing a noise that sounded like "when Bumble Bee changes from a CHEVY to a TRANSFORMER" sort of like gears working noise.

The thing does its work but I'm annoyed by the sound coming up whenever I start and shuts down the engine. I'm guessing the servo might need to be replaced?
    Old 09-18-15, 12:27 AM
    Tapangb
    Driver

I learned the hard way. Luckily my car was still under factory warranty and Lexus fixed it free of charge!
    Old 10-31-15, 05:14 AM
    JoeySway
    Driver School Candidate

Took my car to Jiffy Lube last week to get an oil change (I know, went there because of time ). In their efforts to up-sell me a cabin filter, they did it improperly. Removed the cabin filter without putting the A/C in recirculation .

I'm going to the dealership this morning with the Jiffy Lube manager so that Lexus can confirm that JL is at fault. The A/C Heat works only for 5-10 minutes and then it stops. I'm thinking the motor went out as well.

Like some other people have suggested, either lock the glove box or put a sticker. I'm hoping Lexus can sort it all out and JL pay for it all.
    Old 10-31-15, 10:23 PM
    pauls927
    Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The is250 I bought last month already had the broken door pivot and made the clicking noise. I first tried to glue it back, but that only lasted a week. Yesterday I completely removed the door as outlined by cwajciec, drilled and inserted a screw along with more epoxy. The end of the screw was trimmed flush. Seems stronger than ever now. If this breaks in the future, I'll go ahead and buy a new door.

Old 11-06-15, 09:35 PM
    mier
    Rookie

Originally Posted by pauls927
    The is250 I bought last month already had the broken door pivot and made the clicking noise. I first tried to glue it back, but that only lasted a week. Yesterday I completely removed the door as outlined by cwajciec, drilled and inserted a screw along with more epoxy. The end of the screw was trimmed flush. Seems stronger than ever now. If this breaks in the future, I'll go ahead and buy a new door.

How did u take the door out? i tried to take out the door withuot removing the entire blower, i am stuck now. there is no way i can get it out.

Quick Reply: DIY - for an oops moment. Tried to replace cabin air filter without setting to circ.