IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY - for an oops moment. Tried to replace cabin air filter without setting to circ.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-15, 09:37 PM
mier
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cwajciec
Hi all, I've really enjoyed the forums and they have helped me tremendously. I too broke my fresh air damper assembly on my ISF and glued it back together. This broke also so I dove in to fix the door correctly without removing the whole blower assembly.
I ordered PART #8702030020 which came with the pivoting door and a new arm. Here is what I did.
1. Remove kick panel, knee airbag, and glovebox
2. Remove the 2 black screws that hold a duct and an electrical box. Move both to expose the broken arm on the end of the rotating door.
3. You will see 4 silver screws with the heads pointing down that hold the top half of the door housing to the bottom half. Remove.
4. You will see a 10mm bolt on the top-right half of the housing. Remove.
5. There is a Phillips screw with the head pointing to the drivers side on top of the housing. Very hard to get to, but remove this screw as well.
6. Pull apart the upper housing at the split in the middle. Be careful but the left half will move quite far. It helps to reach toward the firewall and undo a plastics clip holding the housing together.
7. Wiggle the old door out and the new door in. I pulled the left hinge out first and then the right. Take your time.
8. Install the new door arm with a click. Reassemble and test.

This took me about 45 minutes to do and cost around $35. I hope this helps someone that is handy and who doesn't want to glue their ISF back together.
Did you have to remove the top half completely? I couldnt remove it because the top part seem to be glued to metal. Im stuck now on your step 6 and 7. and I didn't want to break more stuff. Any helps? Im almost think to remove entire blower now.
Old 11-07-15, 05:13 AM
cwajciec
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mier
Did you have to remove the top half completely? I couldnt remove it because the top part seem to be glued to metal. Im stuck now on your step 6 and 7. and I didn't want to break more stuff. Any helps? Im almost think to remove entire blower now.
I wish I would have taken pictures. You must make sure you separate the top half of the housing from the bottom half by removing all screws and clips. (There is one near the firewall on the drivers side too) Then split the top half in 2 at the middle seam. (There is a hidden screw near the windshield that you need to remove). Make sure you remove all screws you can see, even the 10mm bolt that attaches the top half of the housing to the dash metal. Once you do that, the left half moves quite far and will clear the door arm stud. The right half doesn't move as far. You may need to squeeze the door together a little too.
Old 11-07-15, 05:33 AM
RussZTT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cabin filter doesn't do anything. I replaced mine last month and no matter what setting I have my AC on, I can smell everything outside with the windows up.
Old 11-07-15, 09:27 AM
pauls927
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much what Cwajciec says, but after removing the screws, you need to separate the upper 1/2s from the lower housing by prying it up, and then separate the upper 1/2s to get the door out . The 1/2s are not removed from the car, just split enough to get the door out. That top screw is also tricky to get out, but it can be done. I did not put that screw back in.
Old 12-06-15, 11:19 PM
V8drummer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI - if you have the annoying jamming noise, but the door still seems to operate somewhat functionally, the servo arm could be off track/ misaligned.

I fixed mine today and had it down within an hour. The instructions / pics in the OP were very helpful.
Old 01-09-16, 09:05 PM
Whisperss
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the DIY project for the recirculating door issue. When I got my 2006 IS350 back from the Lexus of Roseville dealership for the dash recall, it was noted the recirculating door was broke. It worked before they touched it. So I have this project to do. Also the dealership damaged the trim around the NAV system. I am not happy about that either.
Old 01-10-16, 04:34 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Why don't you take it back to the dealer to tell them to fix it ... assuming they admit to it.
Old 02-28-16, 01:00 AM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys I got a GS350 here and broke it too... does anyone know where i can buy the piece?
Old 05-28-16, 04:39 PM
shinbo
Rookie

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be attempting this DIY fairly soon, but I just have a couple of quick questions. Is it possible to just attach the broken plastic arm that comes from this part number? 87020-30020
Old 05-30-16, 08:20 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shinbo
Hey Guys,

I'm going to be attempting this DIY fairly soon, but I just have a couple of quick questions. Is it possible to just attach the broken plastic arm that comes from this part number? 87020-30020
Oh damn you might have found the part. I'm not too sure, Google pics showing pictures and stuff of varies things. I think my piece is missing please post a DIY, this problem is so annoying @.@
Old 06-09-16, 05:07 AM
balanced
Driver

thanks guys... driving in to work today... weird buzzing noise....this is it. I'll work on it this weekend. must have broken (or come off track, depending on what I find) while driving. I've always done the recirculate thing and I haven't changed it in months. oh well "stuff" happens.

great write up
Old 06-10-16, 05:07 AM
balanced
Driver

Originally Posted by balanced
thanks guys... driving in to work today... weird buzzing noise....this is it. I'll work on it this weekend. must have broken (or come off track, depending on what I find) while driving. I've always done the recirculate thing and I haven't changed it in months. oh well "stuff" happens.

great write up
and miraculously, this afternoon I get in the car and the buzzing is gone.... I did nothing (although MAYBE a piece of paper had slid into the opening and was hitting the fan????? - there was one stuck in the back of the glove compartment....)
Old 06-13-16, 01:57 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by balanced
and miraculously, this afternoon I get in the car and the buzzing is gone.... I did nothing (although MAYBE a piece of paper had slid into the opening and was hitting the fan????? - there was one stuck in the back of the glove compartment....)
yea the piece blocking to the entrance to door is quite slim... I'm not sure if the door opens when u put it in recirculation mode or fresh air mode... because my door is broken... actually It problem is suppose to be up when you're in recirculation mode because when you change it, it should be moveable or up haha... FML
Old 06-14-16, 08:03 AM
vicdog
Driver School Candidate

Old 06-20-16, 07:34 AM
RussZTT
Driver

Even after replacing my cabin filter, I can still smell everything from outside. Filter doesn't do ANYTHING!
Do any of you experience the same?

Quick Reply: DIY - for an oops moment. Tried to replace cabin air filter without setting to circ.