IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 11:31 AM
zachk86
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the great write-up. I actually had mine replaced under warranty about a year ago but my buddies has been out for about a year so this will be very helpful to him. Mine stopped working suddenly when i disconnected and then reconnected my battery one time when cleaning my MAF.
Old 11-30-16, 12:33 AM
brazilero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up, thanks
Old 12-27-16, 09:39 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

This actually happened to me today. Not sure when I'll have time to tackle this project. Thanks for the write up.
Old 01-01-17, 05:19 PM
RPMGraphic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems as if there are 2 seperate issues people are having. The first is the"Frozen" issue that is resolved by the DIY digitizer fix, new digitizer, or replace the whole screen.

The second issue is the one no one can seem to answer & that is the Black/blank screen & none of the buttons on side or below work, while the clock, radio(without display), hasards & security work.

In my research if seems as the blank/black screen issue is caused by the fan on the main PCB going out & the board frys. This is the board for $299. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...313001011.html this one is out of the country.

This one is in the country but out of stock. http://opuradio.com/products-detail.php?ProId=771

I see several people posting about the blank/black screen but no one ever talks about how to fix it. Has anyone changed this board? if not how is everyone fixing the blank screen issue?
Old 01-07-17, 11:50 PM
peterAP2
Rookie

This thread and been INVALUABLE. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to a solution!

I did attempt the conductive pen method with the held of my friend, who also did this for his 07 IS350 before shortly trading in his vehicle. Unfortunately this did not work out with the same success for myself so I went ahead and swapped out the digitizer.

SHOUTOUT to Mr2KiEu for helping a fellow forum member out! I think we were done in an hour since I had previously removed the ML Navigation Unit, which made this process go a lot more smoothly.
Old 01-08-17, 11:30 PM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peterAP2
This thread and been INVALUABLE. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to a solution!

I did attempt the conductive pen method with the held of my friend, who also did this for his 07 IS350 before shortly trading in his vehicle. Unfortunately this did not work out with the same success for myself so I went ahead and swapped out the digitizer.

SHOUTOUT to Mr2KiEu for helping a fellow forum member out! I think we were done in an hour since I had previously removed the ML Navigation Unit, which made this process go a lot more smoothly.
Thanks for the kind words Peter. It was good meeting you. Always happy to help out a ClubLexus member!
Old 01-21-17, 03:49 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
This actually happened to me today. Not sure when I'll have time to tackle this project. Thanks for the write up.
I tried the circuit writer pen fix but it also did not work correctly for me. So I ordered a replacement digitizer from a forum member here and I installed it last night. Everything works perfectly as it should. My only issue is that I should've read all the pages here first and see that the glass is held on with double sided tape. I found a video on YouTube where the person fixing it used a heat lamp on it to soften it to remove. I used a blow dryer and credit card lol.
Old 01-22-17, 11:03 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another unsuccessful attempt with the circuit writer pen here. New digitizer on the way. I have been with an inoperable touch screen for sometime now and learned to live with out it but I want it fixed. Thank to everyone who contributed to this thread.
Old 01-22-17, 11:37 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Circuit pen writer is not easy to do.
Old 01-26-17, 09:11 PM
DoubleB
Driver School Candidate

Default Heat Gun?

Question around using the heat gun. How long did it take to loosen up? Did you just go in a circular motion around the edges of the screen? Any suggestions would be appreciated, I just don't want to damage the LCD with the to much heat. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Enginerd
Thanks to all the info available I replaced the digitizer on my LCD yesterday. I tried the silver pen fix but still had 1/4 of the screen unresponsive. I ordered the digitizer linked below and it worked great, also so far have not noticed any rainbow affect some mention with low end digitizers. Used a heat gun around the edges of the old digitizer, then separated from LCD using a razor blade. There was plenty of glue left over on all but one edge, I used double sided scotch tape (thin clear stuff) on that edge and everything went back together easily! Highly recommend this over the silver pen, for only an additional $25 over the pen fix get a new digitizer. I received the item within 4 days of ordering...not bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321267077853
Old 01-28-17, 10:13 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Why don't you just take the LCD out of the frame while playing with heat gun? It's really easy,
1. Straight up 4 metal tabs around the screen.
2. Using something small to pushing up the clip and getting the screen off.
You will see those thing on the back on the screen
Old 01-28-17, 10:30 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Here is step by step how to superate the LCD and touch panel
Throw the screen look on the back. Notice the metal tabs on 4 conners
Thepointing out the tab I'm talking about
Straightening them up
My fingers pointed out the plastic tabs on the lcd
Using small flat head screw driver insert to the slot and pray it up. The tab will be real ease itsfelt
Doing same thing for the other 3 slots
Make sure start from the touchscreen connector first
Just just pray it just a little to release the tab only
The LCD now could be off the frame and superate from the touch panel. Just remember, lift the LCD from the side of touchscreen connector
They are apart

When you putting them back on, putting the LCD connector side in first. Pay attention on the small guide pin of the LCD
Hope it helps you guy
Old 01-28-17, 12:46 PM
DoubleB
Driver School Candidate

I guess that is my lack of knowledge on this subject. I thought the digitizer was glued to the LCD screen?
Old 01-30-17, 02:04 PM
thelastdon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DoubleB
Question around using the heat gun. How long did it take to loosen up? Did you just go in a circular motion around the edges of the screen? Any suggestions would be appreciated, I just don't want to damage the LCD with the to much heat. Thanks again.
A hair dryer gets hot enough, the heat gun might be a bit overkill. Just keep it moving so as to not melt anything or let anything get too hot.
Old 01-30-17, 02:09 PM
thelastdon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DoubleB
I guess that is my lack of knowledge on this subject. I thought the digitizer was glued to the LCD screen?
Not really a glue or tape, these usually use an adhesive transfer tape of some sort. Its basically like that gunky glue used for packaging that can peel off in a single strip.

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY