IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 06:29 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

So I was not able to get my navigation back to life after redoing the process. I think some CircuitWriter may have bridged two of the connections since I did not take my time on the circuitry part of this project.

Anyway, I spoke with Lexus corporate and they have agreed to cover the cost of the part (some $2,200) and I covered labor $240).

My service advisor said that they accepted my claim because my car was once certified as a CPO. And even though I did not buy it as a CPO (car went to a different dealership) they still felt responsible for covering it.
Old 01-11-12, 01:35 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I'm still kinda bummed I didn't get this fixed properly. I am running out of options short of buying a new piece.

I'm thinking if we know it is a Toshiba touch screen 4 wire, how hard could it be to track one of these down? Are we overthinking this? Or is the issue the ribbon? Wouldn't the ribbon come with it though?

My issue is that I might have taken too much copper off the screen, and was hoping someone more skilled might be able to help me fix it. From reading the link provided, it looks like some other people have also done this...
Old 01-11-12, 02:35 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
Well I'm still kinda bummed I didn't get this fixed properly. I am running out of options short of buying a new piece.

I'm thinking if we know it is a Toshiba touch screen 4 wire, how hard could it be to track one of these down? Are we overthinking this? Or is the issue the ribbon? Wouldn't the ribbon come with it though?

My issue is that I might have taken too much copper off the screen, and was hoping someone more skilled might be able to help me fix it. From reading the link provided, it looks like some other people have also done this...
I was afraid I may have ended up doing the same thing when I went in for a second and third time. I just don't get why the fix worked at first then failed later. I haven't seen that happen to anyone else. Whatever, I had a good outcome so I digress.

Anyway in another thread someone posted a link to a replacement screen. There is no telling if it is legit and I am not aware of anybody who bought it. They're selling it for close to $400. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2009-To...item43aae78101
Old 01-11-12, 02:38 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

greg what did u fix it with the pen? maybe you didnt apply enough coating of it and once dried there wasnt enough of it to make the closed circuit on the screen. did u end up fixing it?
Old 01-11-12, 03:27 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

I applied it to pins 1 and 3 originally and it worked. When it stopped working again I took it apart and was thinking that I probably put too much on, particularly on pin 3 and that it may have somehow got in a small crack between the glass and the ribbon and bridged with another circuit, though that's just a guess. I cleaned it up a bit with a razor blade. It still didn't work so I took it out again and measured the resistance between the pins and got zeros between all possible pin combinations??

So at that point I decided to write Lexus corporate an email and they responded by paying for a new screen and I'd pay for the labor to put it in. I'm out $230 but that's a helluva lot better than the original $2,500 I would of had to pay originally.
Old 01-11-12, 03:47 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

oh wow, $230 to fix ? Jonny this might be the best solution for you, greg, were you out of warranty when this happened?

would you mind sharing exactly what you wrote to lexus corporate?
Old 01-11-12, 04:38 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I am out of warranty (54,000 miles). I wrote them an email politely explaining that this was a common problem and that for me to pay so much for a part that is likely to fail again in the future is ridiculous.

However, my service adviser explained to me why my claim was accepted by Lexus. Obviously I don't know if this is true, B.S., or a little bit of both, so take it for what it's worth:

I bought my car in September at a dealership outside Atlanta. The car had 49,### miles and it was not a CPO. Some time before, a dealership in South Carolina was trying to sell the car as a CPO but they ended up trading it to the dealership that I bought it from, who took the CPO label off (my guess is so they could lower the price and move it off the lot, as this car sat there for a good 6 months before I bought it). The adviser told me that because the car was originally inspected and certified as a CPO that Lexus felt that they had to honor my claim.

Additionally, the adviser told me that if you buy your car from a Lexus dealership and have an extensive service history at Lexus dealerships it makes it more likely that Lexus will process your claim. After he did some research he told me that another customer had bought an IS from a private party that had no service history had the same navigation issue as we have had, at the same mileage as me, but their claim was denied.
Old 01-11-12, 05:15 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very detailed writeup.....but not something I would ever try and I'm techinically inclined. NAV problems is probably the major reason I got the Lexus Extended warranty to 8 yrs/80,000 mi., I don't want to have to worry about this stuff.
Old 01-11-12, 05:18 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

I agree with the above post, however me that I have never touched a circuit board in my life was able to fix it in under an hour.
Old 01-11-12, 05:39 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Very detailed writeup.....but not something I would ever try and I'm techinically inclined. NAV problems is probably the major reason I got the Lexus Extended warranty to 8 yrs/80,000 mi., I don't want to have to worry about this stuff.
Had I bothered to read CL before I bought the car I would have done the same.
Old 01-11-12, 06:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

The sad thing is you don't need the whole TFT. Just the resistive overlay, and those are really cheap.
Old 01-11-12, 09:18 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Do those people ship over here?
Old 01-14-12, 12:49 PM
757IS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone help me with this frozen screen that lives in hampton roads va? Thanks!
Old 01-18-12, 05:56 PM
Magicks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The sad thing is you don't need the whole TFT. Just the resistive overlay, and those are really cheap.
will this work? the ribbon wire seems to be in a different location.

I took out my entire unit and tried doing the DIY with my friend but we were not able to get any resistance measurement on the touch panel no matter what. We tried to scrape some of the glass off but still were unable to get any resistance measurement. I'm thinking of buying the $400 screen from ebay but your url seems to be the cheapest alternative.
Old 01-19-12, 12:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I'll get more serious about the solution for this when I need one.

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY