IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 11:01 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camboat
I just replaced the digitizer. I didn't look at the brand of the screen. The replacement digitizer is suposed to be a toshiba.Attachment 381697

Now it looks like this. Not good
I don't think that is a toshiba digitizer, the only way to tell is if you look at the ribbon cable and see if it is identical to the oem digitizer. The screens are not suppose to look like that. Yes, that is what people call the "rainbow effect". You need to buy the touchscreen digitizer with the clear black glass. The brightness will be slightly less bright than the OEM digitizer, but it's still better than the rainbow effect.
Old 03-18-16, 08:31 PM
Camboat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digitizer

Thanks for info Mr2kiEu!! Lots of work to install a new screen and have it look like this.

Where do you find the digitizer with the clear black glass?

Thanks
Old 03-24-16, 05:39 AM
jelkhour
Driver School Candidate

Default Digitizer resistance reading

I just got the digitzer from German Audio Tech, got fooled by their cheating add (they say it is new and it is toshiba, but after seeing this screen) i am sure it is not new nor toshiba.
I just measured the resistance for the pins, and did not match those listed:
"The resistance between pins 1 and 3, and 2 and 4 should be about 500 and 1700 ohms." mine are half those values.
Should i proceed and uninstall the dash, or should i return this digitizer and get a new one from somewhere else? will it work?
Old 03-28-16, 10:39 AM
Camboat
Driver School Candidate

Update!!
Over the weekend I pulled the navigation unit out of the car. I was told there could be a black screen protector on the digitizer that can cause the rainbow effect on your screen. After closely inspecting the digitizer, there was a screen protector on it. I used the tip of an exato knife and gently lifted it up in one corner and removed it. I reinstalled everything into the car.
Now the navigation looks like new. The touch screen works great again!!!
Old 04-09-16, 03:52 PM
StpdSavant
Rookie

Hey guys,

In my haste (and laziness), instead of getting pliers to properly unseat a connector from the screen to its electronics, I pulled too hard on the actual wires and pulled all the conductors out of the connector. Being my luck, this also happens to be a connector with 5 holes, but there are only four conductors. Can somebody please tell me which color conductors go in which holes? Thanks so much for your help.

(in the second image, it'd be the beige connector that is just to the right of the lefthand screw. Even examining the leads on the PCB doesn't give me enough information)

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY-img_20160409_181114.jpg

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY-img_20160409_181530.jpg
Old 04-13-16, 11:22 PM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by StpdSavant
Hey guys,

In my haste (and laziness), instead of getting pliers to properly unseat a connector from the screen to its electronics, I pulled too hard on the actual wires and pulled all the conductors out of the connector. Being my luck, this also happens to be a connector with 5 holes, but there are only four conductors. Can somebody please tell me which color conductors go in which holes? Thanks so much for your help.

(in the second image, it'd be the beige connector that is just to the right of the lefthand screw. Even examining the leads on the PCB doesn't give me enough information)

Attachment 383714

Attachment 383715
I performed a repair this past weekend. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Name:  23F9F523-339A-4974-9B48-81A5339BF2D5_zpsf3ryzv36.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  209.9 KB

Name:  48B6F90E-5E1F-46CB-9C8A-99C1DCF8E0BE_zpshwn4nsu2.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  205.0 KB
Old 04-22-16, 10:44 AM
thelastdon
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

Attachment 383714

Attachment 383715
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu

I just did exactly the same thing and was about to post some pics looking for help. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-24-16, 08:19 AM
StpdSavant
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu

Thanks so much! Sorry for the delayed acknowledgement; I didnt receive any notifications that there was a response to this thread. You're a life saver!
Old 04-27-16, 12:11 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

this just happened to me a few days ago, anyone in NY 5 boroughs area that would be able to help me with this?
Old 05-01-16, 12:30 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Thanks so much! Sorry for the delayed acknowledgement; I didnt receive any notifications that there was a response to this thread. You're a life saver!
No problem. Glad I could help.

Btw, if you want immediate notifications you have to change it in the settings or thread tools. I believe you can set to receive them immediately, daily, or weekly.
Old 05-01-16, 09:18 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't decide whether to do this repair myself or not. i only use the nav screen to watch movies but i'm pretty sure when i go to resell the car, the next person will want to operate the nav, bluetooth, etc....none of which i use. if i could pay someone to do this, i would consider driving a reasonable distance from KS.
Old 07-06-16, 10:47 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Where is the best place to buy a replacement digitizer without the rainbow effect?
Old 07-07-16, 01:25 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GarageB
Where is the best place to buy a replacement digitizer without the rainbow effect?
eBay. Search for Lexus touch screen digitizer.
Old 07-07-16, 08:36 AM
htle64
Driver School Candidate

Hello Clublexus members,
I have an excellent condition navigation unit for sale, please look if interested thanks! --> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...reen-unit.html
Old 07-07-16, 09:23 AM
skottydznt
Pole Position

Everyone should purchase their screen from this link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Touch-Screen...-/331555180866

Just installed it and everything works great, no rainbow effect and very helpful seller who is a clublexus member as well.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY