IS350 stuck in 4th gear.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-11, 07:55 AM
qbanbuc5
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS350 stuck in 4th gear.

Hello everyone,
We just recently got the head gasket replaced on our 2006 IS350 and since we got it back I have noticed it drives at high RPMs now and DOES NOT go passed 4th gear. The check eng, vsc, and trac lights are all on (again). I assumed that switching to S mode it will allow me to shift to 5th and 6th gear but it stays in 4th that way as well. We just had it checked and they said it is a speed sensor that is out but they are unsure which one.

Would a speed sensor cause the transmission not to shift passed 4th gear?

It also is jerky when slowing down to a stop and even at a "tap" on the accelerator pedal.

Thanks in advance for your responses and assistance.
Old 12-26-11, 09:19 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Since this problem started immediately after your HG replacement, I would assume it was something the shop techs did (or didn't do). Take it back to them to fix their problem they created.

And what's the deal with the HG? Haven't heard too many of those going yet. Got background on that?
Old 12-26-11, 10:22 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm odd, does it still hold in 4th after its warmed up a little? As GVille said if I would take it back to the place that did the work and have them look at it since it started after that.
Old 12-26-11, 11:53 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

take it back to the shop
Old 12-26-11, 03:33 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Was it the dealership and did they fix it under the powertrain warranty? How many miles are you at? Which bank, driver or passenger side...or both?
Old 12-29-11, 06:02 AM
qbanbuc5
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the replies I apologize for the delay. It's a 2006 IS350 with 109k miles. Initially we took it to the dealer for the engine fans and heater not working. We got it back same day and they said they found NOTHING. Later that evening same thing happened but this time it did not run at all. So for a 1/4 mile driving back home the car was not getting any power, gauges were going haywire and the lights kept cutting in and out. The dealer was giving us the run around so took it to a local Lexus certified mechanic and he found the head gasket being blown and the ECU giving off random codes (including a speed sensor problem). Finally, the head gasket was replaced and the car is actually running. Only code the ECU is giving off now is solely the speed sensor. We got the part yesterday but I just do not know where it's located b/c if I did I would replace the darn thing myself lol. I'm just not sure if the sensor would cause the car to not shift past 4th...
Old 12-29-11, 07:38 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by qbanbuc5
Thanks everyone for the replies I apologize for the delay. It's a 2006 IS350 with 109k miles. Initially we took it to the dealer for the engine fans and heater not working. We got it back same day and they said they found NOTHING. Later that evening same thing happened but this time it did not run at all. So for a 1/4 mile driving back home the car was not getting any power, gauges were going haywire and the lights kept cutting in and out. The dealer was giving us the run around so took it to a local Lexus certified mechanic and he found the head gasket being blown and the ECU giving off random codes (including a speed sensor problem). Finally, the head gasket was replaced and the car is actually running. Only code the ECU is giving off now is solely the speed sensor. We got the part yesterday but I just do not know where it's located b/c if I did I would replace the darn thing myself lol. I'm just not sure if the sensor would cause the car to not shift past 4th...
You probably saved money with him vs the stealership. Glad you got half of your problems solved. The mechanic couldnt tell you where the speed sensor was?
Old 12-29-11, 07:47 AM
qbanbuc5
Driver School Candidate

No... All I was told was that it was in the wheel bay (one behind each wheel and two elsewhere for six total). It's called an ABS Wheel Speed Sensor and per what I saw in a diagram online for all wheel parts is that it's somewhere behind the rotor. Not sure how accurate that is however. So I guess i will just wait and see when I get it back today if that that in fact did fix my shifting problem.

And as far as saving money, for the head gasket I got a quote for $3,000 through the dealer and the current mechanic replaced it for $1,400, parts and labor. So "stealership" is always right on point for the dealers lol.
Old 12-29-11, 07:54 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

No... All I was told was that it was in the wheel bay (one behind each wheel and two elsewhere for six total). It's called an ABS Wheel Speed Sensor and per what I saw in a diagram online for all wheel parts is that it's somewhere behind the rotor. Not sure how accurate that is however. So I guess i will just wait and see when I get it back today if that that in fact did fix my shifting problem.

And as far as saving money, for the head gasket I got a quote for $3,000 through the dealer and the current mechanic replaced it for $1,400, parts and labor. So "stealership" is always right on point for the dealers lol.

Mind if I ask how many miles is your car at ? And have you had any other issues with it since you've owned it?
Old 12-29-11, 07:59 AM
qbanbuc5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Mind if I ask how many miles is your car at ? And have you had any other issues with it since you've owned it?
It has 109k miles and in September we needed to have the Driveshaft Carrier Bearing replaced, Transmission Mount replaced, and the Drivebelt Pulley replaced.
Old 12-29-11, 08:09 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

It has 109k miles and in September we needed to have the Driveshaft Carrier Bearing replaced, Transmission Mount replaced, and the Drivebelt Pulley replaced.
I'm at 46k. Still got my CPO warranty.Hopefully if anything does happen god willing it occur before my warranty is up lol
Old 12-29-11, 08:12 AM
qbanbuc5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
I'm at 56k. Still got my CPO warranty.Hopefully if anything does happen god willing it occur before my warranty is up lol
Yeah I don't wish this madness on anyone. As soon as it's fixed, it is up for sale. Actually it has been we just need to finish fixing it. I can't have my wife and daughter in that thing and it breaking down while they are in it. It's been in the shop 4 times within a year. Not cool.
Old 12-29-11, 09:36 AM
eboot
Driver

speed sensors are easy to get to and the code should tell you which wheel it is.. You can find where the speed sensor is by following the only wire that runs along your strut from the body of the car to the wheel hub. it's a one bolt deal.. very easy to remove.
Old 12-29-11, 09:40 AM
eboot
Driver

As far as tranny being stuck in the 4th gear, that's very questionable. I've had an issue with my AWD not connecting with the speed sensor (wire was severed), but it shifted fine all to way to 6th gear. This sensor problem caused VSC and AWD lights to be on constantly. As far is warming the car up, the car does not shift into 6th gear for a period of time immediately after start up, but once it's up to the temp, the 6th gear becomes available.
Old 12-29-11, 09:46 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Yeah I don't wish this madness on anyone. As soon as it's fixed, it is up for sale. Actually it has been we just need to finish fixing it. I can't have my wife and daughter in that thing and it breaking down while they are in it. It's been in the shop 4 times within a year. Not cool.
man sorry to hear. Are you the first owner of the car? Plan on getting another Lexus?

Quick Reply: IS350 stuck in 4th gear.