IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Opinions please... My Check Engine & VSC Light is on.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 09:06 AM
ben9
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions please... My Check Engine & VSC Light is on.

Hello!

First of all Happy Holidays!

I just wanted to ask the pros for their opinion. Last week I took my car to the dealer after the CHECK ENGINE & VSC light came on. This morning I received a call saying that my car is ready and that the problem was that the computer needed to be reprogrammed. The service advisor said that the technician had spent an hour trying to track down the problem which he could not find which forced him to reset and reprogram the computer. He also said that the add-ons may have caused this issue but all I had added on were LED exterior bulbs. He also said that this is a maintenance issue which my Platinum Warranty doesn't cover so I'll have to pay $140 for an hour of the technician's time.

Opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
-Ben
Old 12-21-11, 09:13 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Not knowIng what code was on there. I'm have to say you coulda rest the it yourself in two min and saved & $140 if you searched the forum.
Old 12-21-11, 09:23 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

well that sucks

shouldve hit up auto zone to get the codes read....and then completed a search on CL
Old 12-21-11, 09:28 AM
ben9
Rookie

Originally Posted by laobo979
Not knowIng what code was on there. I'm have to say you coulda rest the it yourself in two min and saved & $140 if you searched the forum.
Yeah, I should have if I only had time. I hardly use my car as I have been travelling for work. It's just a bummer because this is the 3rd straight week I had to take it for service. The first week was for the sunroof which they had to "recalibrate" and attempted a supposedly 50% off ($75) charge which they ended up waiving off because I declined to have it worked on because I told them a buddy of mine who is the sales manager at another Lexus dealer, 25 miles further, would do it for free. They also ended up changing my rear shocks as there was a leak for free. Total was $13++.00 (under warranty)

A week later, my AFS light came on which I was told needed the rear sensors replaced. Thank God it was free under warranty! Total was $5++.00

It just seems like everytime I drive off their service lot a light goes off within a mile or a day after driving it.
Old 12-21-11, 09:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ben9
Yeah, I should have if I only had time. I hardly use my car as I have been travelling for work. It's just a bummer because this is the 3rd straight week I had to take it for service. The first week was for the sunroof which they had to "recalibrate" and attempted a supposedly 50% off ($75) charge which they ended up waiving off because I declined to have it worked on because I told them a buddy of mine who is the sales manager at another Lexus dealer, 25 miles further, would do it for free. They also ended up changing my rear shocks as there was a leak for free. Total was $13++.00 (under warranty)

A week later, my AFS light came on which I was told needed the rear sensors replaced. Thank God it was free under warranty! Total was $5++.00

It just seems like everytime I drive off their service lot a light goes off within a mile or a day after driving it.

FYI- The sunroof reset is in your manual, it takes like 2 minutes to do yourself

Personally as regards your current issue, I don't believe I'd pay anyone a diagnostic fee if they failed to diagnose anything. From your description he just gave up trying to do his job and made the light go away. If the root problem still exists it'll just return in short order, having done nothing of benefit to you.

But yeah, you'd need to know the code it threw to cause the light in the first place... I suppose you can always ask when you go to pick it up, assuming they bothered to write it down before clearing it (which, as noted, you could do yourself in 2 minutes by pulling a fuse)
Old 12-21-11, 09:49 AM
ben9
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
FYI- The sunroof reset is in your manual, it takes like 2 minutes to do yourself

Personally as regards your current issue, I don't believe I'd pay anyone a diagnostic fee if they failed to diagnose anything. From your description he just gave up trying to do his job and made the light go away. If the root problem still exists it'll just return in short order, having done nothing of benefit to you.

But yeah, you'd need to know the code it threw to cause the light in the first place... I suppose you can always ask when you go to pick it up, assuming they bothered to write it down before clearing it (which, as noted, you could do yourself in 2 minutes by pulling a fuse)
Thank you so much Kurtz for the idea!

I just called my buddy whose a sales manager and he pretty much gave me the same advice you did and to also call 1 800 25 LEXUS and bring up this issue.
Old 12-21-11, 10:26 AM
ben9
Rookie

I just got off the phone with 1800 25 LEXUS and I was advised to pick up the car and see what the advisor says and then to call back then they'll check if they can issue a reimbursement for the resultless Diagnostic.
Old 12-21-11, 11:35 AM
ben9
Rookie

Thank you all for chiming in!

Happy Holidays to you & yours!
-Ben