IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Decisions (Black vs white vs Gray)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-11, 08:00 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I have black and it's a Bi*@H to keep clean..if you're a neat freak! If you are liking white, get that with the black. It looks really good. The tan interior gets the floor mats too dirty. Congrats on your soon to be IS350 and welcome to CL.
Tan interior comes with black carpets now, my car has it
Old 12-13-11, 08:06 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vipor
Hi guys (and gals),

New to the forum.... gosh, after looking at all these pics of sandwiches, I am stuck.

I am in discussions with a sandwich shop to purchase my very first sandwich (2012 quarter pound turkey on wheat) and am stuck on toppings. Hoping some here can help me out with their experience.

I have been leaning on green bell peppers with salt. But, after looking at some of these pics on here, a tomato also looks hot. Then looking at all the mods you guys and gals have done, makes me think perhaps do without the salt and make my own toppings.

Ideas? Thoughts?
Fixed since your original question is almost as worthless as the one I typed above.

I will say this, get the cheapest color they offer cause once you get bored of it you can always wrap the car in vinyl.
Old 12-13-11, 08:12 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a white f sport. Very nice and rare.
Old 12-13-11, 08:21 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by langjaykev
yeah new grey ftw if not SGM
I saw the new gray, Nebula Gray Pearl, in person and it looks cool. They didn't have it in 2011 but when I got my 2011 IS350 I went with SGM. I like the gray colors because they are metallic and are between black and white. SGM hides the dirtiness of the car from a distance too.

Still, a black F-Sport or white F-Sport still looks awesome and those would've been my second and third choices. In the end, it all comes down to your choice, of course.
Old 12-13-11, 09:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Obsidian and Starfire Pearl are my favorite, but the new Fire Agate Pearl is HAWT!!

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-13-11 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-13-11, 09:19 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

All comes down to personal preference my friend and what direction you want to take your car if you decide to mod it. Just know the benefits and disadvantages of each color. Black is hard to maintain but has a sleek and sexy feel when clean (think classic VIP theme), white can pull off the panda them really well for that tuner look, grey... I'm not too sure that grey does...neutral I guess, lol....
Old 12-13-11, 10:03 PM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rookieIS
^ what he said. on a side note, chose lighter color for easier maintenance..
Thanks guys for the responses.

RookieIS, you mentioned lighter colors for easier maintenance. Is there tough maintenance on a dark color? I've had black SUVs in the past and the things I saw with that is things like... the swirl marks you see on the paint when the sun hits the paint.. or, the water marks when the water sprinklers hit the car... Is that what you are referring to?

RDIS250AWD, yeah, that is one of the things that makes me think right now. I liked the seats, pedals, exhaust, and spoiler that comes with the F-sport. Just have to really think this over. These beauties are not cheap. :-)
Originally Posted by Sffd103
I have black and it's a Bi*@H to keep clean..if you're a neat freak! If you are liking white, get that with the black. It looks really good. The tan interior gets the floor mats too dirty. Congrats on your soon to be IS350 and welcome to CL.
That sums it up... I have an Obsidian IS and it is a PITA to keep it clean... Go for grey colors, white is nice too but too many of those in my opinion...
Old 12-13-11, 11:05 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GilIS250
That sums it up... I have an Obsidian IS and it is a PITA to keep it clean... Go for grey colors, white is nice too but too many of those in my opinion...
I'm with you, and the rest of the guys you quoted! I have obsidian black with ecru (black and cream) interior, so I have THE hardest color combo to keep clean even with the black floormats. That being said I've had nothing but white cars before (still do besides the lex) and they are extremely easy to keep clean and look great with either chrome or black accents. BUT I still think theres nothing like the look of a clean black car in the sun! Good luck I say black, but be prepared to wax on... And off a lot!!
Old 12-13-11, 11:28 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my suggestion, get the non-Fsport with the HID / LED lights and add your own upgrades...unless the F-sport upgrades are exactly what you want.
Old 12-14-11, 12:26 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Totally up to you, not what others like or dislike. Your the one who is going to be living with it.

Also, something that no one mentions or thinks about.... You know those lighter metalic colors that never look dirty? They also never look clean or freshly minted. What you gain with ease of maintenance, you lose as a dazzling, clean display (that reflective mirror look). So, you have to think: are you the type of guy who likes working for his shine or rather not bother and be content with less of a display?
Old 12-14-11, 04:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I got a great deal on a '10 leftover so I went with my close second choice color Tungsten Pearl.
My first choice would be Starfire Pearl.
Black interior is a must for me and both look great with black interior.
Black looks the best but it's a biatch to keep clean and show any little imperfection you may get..
Old 12-14-11, 06:13 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

I would never get black--looks AMAZING only after a wash, and shows every nick and scratch. And the swirl marks would drive me nuts!!!! Silver shows nothing and is beautiful!

But if I was going to buy another, Sonic Blue would be it!
Old 12-14-11, 06:57 AM
MorphiuGS
Driver School Candidate

I have owned all colors and prefer white (depending on the car in some cases). This is all from a cleaining/look pov.

White:
Pros= easy to clean, tint looks nice and dark, i feel mods look better, many rim color options work with it.
Cons= Shows a lot of dirt near the wheel wells, hard to match colors

Silver:
Pros= easiest to clean, always looks fairly clean, scratches don't show up that much.
Cons= super common color, i feel rim color choice is limited

Black:
Pros: most rewarding to clean, can murder it out, fastest color (jk)
Cons: Every speck of dirt shows, swirls are ugly in the sunlight (if you take good care of it this can be avoided), if it rains all your hard work cleaning it is gone.
Old 12-14-11, 09:21 AM
ssis300
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just saw a pic of a white IS right next to a black IS. Dang, that white looks sharp. Imagine how that white would look with F Sport mods on it. But, would black interior clash?
I have a black interior on mine, and wouldn't change anything about it. it looks very luxurious, compared to the others - IMHO. Keep in mind, my previous IS was a white with tan interior. I was sick and tired of cleaning the tan carpet, as it showed everything!

I would recommend getting the Levinson upgrade though - it's a night and day comparison. i guess, unless you plan on gutting out the system with an upgrade. Only thing I wish the ML had was a little harder/tighter hitting sub.

Regardless, you will not be disappointed whichever route you take. You will love your 350, so ENJOY IT!!
Old 12-14-11, 10:26 AM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Black is awesome right after you wash it, for about 10 minutes . It's a bear to keep clean, keep the swirl marks, scratches, etc down. So, if you like washing your car a lot, get the Black one! My 02 and 07 were Black, never again..

White is nice as well, hides the swirl marks and contrasts nicely with the trim.

Good luck with whatever you end up with..

Quick Reply: Decisions (Black vs white vs Gray)