Recc's slim hid kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 08:19 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Recc's slim hid kits

Hey guys,

Looking to upgrade the factory halogens. I did a CL forum search, but im looking for a proven slim hid kit that will not require drilling. Looking for something reasonably priced for the last two years of the lease. Maybe around $100-150.

I'd like to weed through the garbage hid kits im finding online...like this, for example http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

Thanks again, guys.

Also, i heard that you cannot use the relays in a slim hid kit in order to it to fit in the housing. if this is true, what type of risk is there in not having a relay kit? Do i need to wire this back to the battery, or is it a simply plug and play with the factory plug for the bulb?
Old 11-14-11, 12:34 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

anyone????
Old 11-14-11, 12:50 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DDM tuning kits aren't crap. Had them on my old car, they were actually pretty good. The light output and color was nice. Lasted me a couple years, traded the car in with them and they where still working when i did.

Also not sure what you mean by doesn't require drilling. No HID kit i've ever used required drilling. As long as you get the correct bulb, all you have to do is replace the bulb in the housing and then sort out the wiring. With the wiring just 3M double sided tape the ballast down somewhere and ziptie and tuck the wiring. You should be able to use a wiring harness with the slim kit too....it doesn't really have anything to do with the housing, your just running wire from your battery straight to the HID wiring instead of relying on just the OEM harness.
Old 11-14-11, 01:15 PM
IS250TW
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the slim kit into the headlight companion...
didn't hook it to the battery and it runs well
I didn't like the idea of drilling a hole on the headlight cover and did some search

I am sure that you can put the whole kit into the headlight assembly without doing any modifications
Old 11-14-11, 01:37 PM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well sometimes you have to drill a hold in the cap of the bulb cover in the back of the headlight housing. you have to do that in order to be able to run the hid bulb wires back to the ballast. some people can be slick and run them without cutting the wires.

as for a relay, it doesnt take up that much space. it just simply bypasses the stock power harness and connects them to a battery. this is done for safety and getting rid of misfiring. i currently run ddm slim kit 55w 6k with a relay harness on my motorcycle. i took my time to run a relay because i was afraid of the initial voltage of the hid start up would burn my harness. in a car it is much simpler and easier to run a harness.
Old 11-14-11, 01:54 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

thanks! so this DDM kit for ~50 is actually decent? wow.

just to be clear, relay or no relay, i do not need to run anything back to the car battery, right?
Old 11-14-11, 01:56 PM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

well i dont know the current prices of ddm. i think i payed something like $50 for my ddm slim 55w kit.
i have people who use those ebay kits and they still work. and thats 5 years old! just letting you know...

with a relay harness you have to run it to the battery, thats the whole point of having it. but if you are going to be running 35w kits then most likely you will not need the relay harness
Old 11-14-11, 02:04 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThermonMer
thanks! so this DDM kit for ~50 is actually decent? wow.

just to be clear, relay or no relay, i do not need to run anything back to the car battery, right?
If you have a relay - Yes you do.The relay hooks up from the battery to the HID wiring.

If you don't have a relay - plug and play into the factory harness. No battery wiring.
Old 11-14-11, 02:08 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

great.

thanks.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

going to try and order these:

55k - 5000k - H11 for $50. Going to pass on the relay, since i do not want to mess with the car battery. not sure if this is a problem with 55k bulbs. Do you think I need to order the additional dual in/out harness too?
Old 11-14-11, 02:11 PM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

well you dont always need the harness.... but look at it like this: without the relay the kit can possibly burn your cars harness or you will have to deal with the misfiring/not turning on issue. the harness is there to prevent that. i would do it. but im just cautious like that
Old 11-14-11, 02:18 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThermonMer
great.

thanks.

going to try and order these:

55k - 5000k - H11 for $50. Going to pass on the relay, since i do not want to mess with the car battery. not sure if this is a problem with 55k bulbs. Do you think I need to order the additional dual in/out harness too?
Don't get 55w. Too bright. 35w FTW.
Old 11-14-11, 02:22 PM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

the heat part is not fully true. if you do a real heat test with an infrared thermometer then you will see they run very close to each other on the heat scale.
Old 11-14-11, 02:23 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kingnba6
the heat part is not fully true. if you do a real heat test with an infrared thermometer then you will see they run very close to each other on the heat scale.
Maybe true the heat may not be too different, but non-HID housing already isn't designed to concentrate and project HID bulb lighting. Putting in a 55w makes it worse.
Old 11-14-11, 02:26 PM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

that is true. in that case i would get 35w just because you dont want to blind people. get some projectors!

check out this kid kit. made for reflector housings

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/hb4-9006-55w...s&siteid=73669
Old 11-21-11, 02:24 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

bumping this thread.

would like to palce an order on this:

1: End of the world if i dont use a relay?
2: Should this slim kit fit in the stock housing?
3: 35W 6000k okay?
4:What the hell is this dual harness for $15? Do I need this?

Thanks!

Last edited by ThermonMer; 11-21-11 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Recc's slim hid kits