IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

"Improved" V-LED flank bulbs don't fit puddle lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 10:25 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "Improved" V-LED flank bulbs don't fit puddle lights?

Ordered some LED's during V-LED's black Friday sale and just got them today. Noticed the flank bulbs for the mirror had a sticker that said "improved" on the packaging. Tried them in the mirror housing, and they don't fit! Seems like they are just too long...the bulbs go in but when you turn to lock them in it won't turn. Looked on the inside of the housing and its all scratched up in there too now! Gah....

Still fits in the interior vanity mirrors though. So i ended up putting them in there!

This is what the bulb looks like...

There are the ones i ordered and as you can see, its different from the bulb pictured on their website..
http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...68086-1-3.html
^ I'm assuming this is what it looked like before the "improved" version? Someone who has them please confirm
Old 11-30-11, 10:40 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah their new design for that bulb is too long to fit the puddle lights and door courtesy lights.

here are a couple posts in brociouz's LED Lighting Replacement Guide where someone brought up the problem.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6754305-post399.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6768539-post402.html
Old 11-30-11, 10:45 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
I actually brought it up too. The schematic which they have on their website is incorrect now with new design which is longer.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6769069-post412.html

These are the bulbs I used for my car.
http://www.jlclightings.com/T10-168-...-p/sku_011.htm - The correct dimensions.
Old 11-30-11, 11:17 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Good to know it's not just me going insane then....lol
Old 11-30-11, 11:23 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Return and get JLC!! Made in Japan LED's.
Old 11-30-11, 11:24 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Those JLC bulbs you posted are 360 firing though. Isn't that unnecessary in the puddle lights?
Old 11-30-11, 11:31 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Well the same could be said for the stock bulb which is omnidirectional.

Works great with puddle light. I chose those for a solid even distribution of light.

Originally Posted by Sango
Here is mine.

Interior pics of my USB, with JLC Lighting LED's used in the interior which I used to change out the stock bulbs a few days ago.

LED reverse! Wtih 5-SMD from JLC. Looks good the way it is but I'll have a 9-SMD in there soon.

Old 12-01-11, 12:37 AM
leek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When installing the new V-LEDS bulb for the puddle lights, I found that the bulb fit but that I couldn't twist the socket closed because it was just slightly too long.

To make it fit, I dremeled off the little tabs (circled in red below) and everything seemed to fit nice and snug. I've had it like this for awhile now with no issues.

"Improved" V-LED flank bulbs don't fit puddle lights?-olt9c.png
Old 12-01-11, 05:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Ordered some LED's during V-LED's black Friday sale and just got them today. Noticed the flank bulbs for the mirror had a sticker that said "improved" on the packaging. Tried them in the mirror housing, and they don't fit! Seems like they are just too long...the bulbs go in but when you turn to lock them in it won't turn. Looked on the inside of the housing and its all scratched up in there too now! Gah....

Still fits in the interior vanity mirrors though. So i ended up putting them in there!

T)
Those vanity lights must be super bright now.

I guess I was lucky and received the older 4 LED flanks from VLEDs when I did the puddles in Sept.
No install issues.
Old 12-01-11, 09:20 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the vanity lights are crazy bright. I turned the light off in the garage and turned one on and the whole car lit up. I could see very well into my car through my window tint even lol.

Anyways, i really don't want to dremel those tab parts off. I'm sure it would fix the fitment issue, but since i put these new ones in my vanity mirrors, i'm going to see if V-Led's would be nice enough to send me a set that actually fits my mirrors and was as listed at the same price i paid for these instead of dealing with return shipping and all that.
Old 12-01-11, 09:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the vanity lights are crazy bright. I turned the light off in the garage and turned one on and the whole car lit up. I could see very well into my car through my window tint even lol.

Anyways, i really don't want to dremel those tab parts off. I'm sure it would fix the fitment issue, but since i put these new ones in my vanity mirrors, i'm going to see if V-Led's would be nice enough to send me a set that actually fits my mirrors and was as listed at the same price i paid for these instead of dealing with return shipping and all that.
Bill at VLEDS,I think it's Bill,is a nice guy.Tell him what happened and he may help you out.He did good by me when I has one issue.I only go VLEDS for my LEDs on my vehicles and have for the last 5 years or so.
The profit margin on LEDs must be ridiculous.
Old 12-01-11, 10:00 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Just sent them an inquiry about the issue. Hopefully they have a couple of the older versions on hand to ship me! I really do like the bulbs, they are bright as f***! But at the same time they are different than what I ordered and don't fit their intended usage for me anymore lol
Old 12-01-11, 10:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Just sent them an inquiry about the issue. Hopefully they have a couple of the older versions on hand to ship me! I really do like the bulbs, they are bright as f***! But at the same time they are different than what I ordered and don't fit their intended usage for me anymore lol

I've used the 4 LED flanks on 3 Lexus vehicles and never had a problem with fit or non working LED but i guess they are the older LEDs..
Better off calling than emailing.
Old 12-01-11, 10:25 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep us posted on the results! I find it odd that V-LEDs changed the design to include a giant heatsink, since I don't recall ever seeing any problems related to heat dissipation.
Old 12-01-11, 10:40 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

^ Will do. And i think these bulbs are even brighter then before? Because i've seen V-LED bulbs in person at the meets and stuff, but these just look INSANELY bright lol. and the heat sink did get a little warm after i left them on for a bit.

Quick Reply: "Improved" V-LED flank bulbs don't fit puddle lights?