IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

"Improved" V-LED flank bulbs don't fit puddle lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 12:12 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Update: V-LED's got back to me. The old version is off the market. They only have this new version.

Guess i have to find Flank bulbs elsewhere for the mirror!
Old 12-02-11, 06:57 AM
leek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Update: V-LED's got back to me. The old version is off the market. They only have this new version.

Just dremel those tabs off! These bulbs are crazy bright In fact, you don't have to dremel them off 100% - the real goal is just to make them thinner. You can always buy the housing again from Sewell. Just a thought...
Old 12-02-11, 07:08 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by leek
Just dremel those tabs off! These bulbs are crazy bright In fact, you don't have to dremel them off 100% - the real goal is just to make them thinner. You can always buy the housing again from Sewell. Just a thought...
Thanks for the info guys. I've updated the first post in my LED Replacement guide to reflect this. These flanks (http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED-B...31635-1-2.html) should still be perfectly plug and play, but they're only half as bright.
Old 12-02-11, 07:31 AM
AUTO Design
Former Sponsor

We have the Flank LED bulbs for sale Let me know if you need it!
Old 12-02-11, 07:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

K,you have the LEDs already.
Why not do the Dremel thing like others have?Can't hurt.
Old 12-02-11, 09:59 AM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

The new versions worked in mine! I didn't rotate the socket all the way in though so they would actually fit. They are maybe 2mm too long.
Old 12-02-11, 12:46 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

^ So you just left it in there loose? lol

i guess i'll just dremel off the tabs and call it a day! haha These are crazy bright, and i definitely want to put them in the mirrors.
Old 12-02-11, 01:28 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

No they aren't loose, they're still turned to the point the aren't going anywhere but instead of rotating the full amount I just did enough for it to hold still. I just kept hitting g the unlock button, watching if it lit up, then twisted it a little more until it would shut off, then backed it up enough to light up again. Fits and works great with no issues.
Old 12-02-11, 01:36 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1sicklexus
No they aren't loose, they're still turned to the point the aren't going anywhere but instead of rotating the full amount I just did enough for it to hold still. I just kept hitting g the unlock button, watching if it lit up, then twisted it a little more until it would shut off, then backed it up enough to light up again. Fits and works great with no issues.
And they are facing downward in the housing and not upward? Because when i try mine and the lights are facing down as they should be, it only turns very slightly, if at all. Interesting though, i'll try mine again tonight i guess. If it doesn't work out, i'll just dremel the tabs and be done lol.
Old 12-02-11, 02:14 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Good call, and nope they light up my whole garage haha
Old 12-11-11, 05:12 PM
Egeiger
Driver

When installing the new V-LEDS bulb for the puddle lights, I found that the bulb fit but that I couldn't twist the socket closed because it was just slightly too long.

To make it fit, I dremeled off the little tabs (circled in red below) and everything seemed to fit nice and snug. I've had it like this for awhile now with no issues.

when u say you dremeled off the tabs a bit did you dremmel all the tabs off and which way did dremmel them? did u demmel off the tabs in such a manner that it wouldn't sit as deep into the housing. ( the side of the tab that closest to the plug and away from the end of the led strip?)
Attached Thumbnails "Improved" V-LED flank bulbs don't fit puddle lights?-olt9c.jpg  
Old 12-11-11, 06:48 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

You could probably just use a razor blade and cut the tabs like the second pic
Old 12-11-11, 09:57 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Some have mentioned a few page back that their door / courtesy light not fitting anymore due to redesign. I'm unclear if it was just the "blue" door / courtesy light or both the blue and white.

Will this still fit the door / courtesy light?? http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED-B...25900-1-2.html
Old 12-12-11, 12:35 AM
Egeiger
Driver

Looks like I ran into the same issue with the inside door reflector lights. I think maybe VLED's have updated the LED and they are a bit longer. I had to Dremel the clear plastic piece that goes behind the reflector to get the LED to fit.

can you explain this dremmel fix in more detail i just ordered my lights and am expecting to have to do the same
Old 12-12-11, 08:28 AM
leek
Driver

Originally Posted by Egeiger
can you explain this dremmel fix in more detail i just ordered my lights and am expecting to have to do the same
Once you get the LED's and pull out the courtesy lamp, it will be become more apparent. In my photo, you can see the LED coming through the hole I Dremeled in the clear plastic backing.

Quick Reply: "Improved" V-LED flank bulbs don't fit puddle lights?