IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS-F / Sport Steering ECU

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-14, 07:34 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Would you mind explaining the process and your installation?

Did you lose power steering with the new ECU installed? Did the PS light illuminate after the installation?

Which version techstream did you use?

After the installation, I turned the car 'on' but the engine off. Connected techstream, went into EPMS and went into 'utility'. Tried following the instructions but kept having errors or communication issues.
Remove battery, remove under tray, unscrew 3 screws holding the ECU down and remove 3 harnesses and reverse the process installing the new one.

I lost power steering, the PS light did luminate after install.

V.9.10.037 installed on a 6 year old net book running XP.

Went into EPMS, went to utility with Ignition on (car off) then it prompts you to turn off ignition then turn back on and followed the rest of the steps.
Old 07-25-14, 07:51 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
Remove battery, remove under tray, unscrew 3 screws holding the ECU down and remove 3 harnesses and reverse the process installing the new one.

I lost power steering, the PS light did luminate after install.

V.9.10.037 installed on a 6 year old net book running XP.

Went into EPMS, went to utility with Ignition on (car off) then it prompts you to turn off ignition then turn back on and followed the rest of the steps.
Pretty much everything I did, except no PS light.

I just got the newest version of techstream and got the mini-vci drivers working on 64 bit win 7. I will give it another try. Previously I was using techstream within VMWare running windows XP.

So when you have to turn the wheel for calibration, did you just strong arm it and rotate it? Whenever I got to that stage, I got an error.

It's frustrating that I spent 15 minutes installing the unit, and almost 2 hours troubleshooting. Unplugging and reinstalling multiple times...
Old 07-25-14, 08:04 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Pretty much everything I did, except no PS light.

I just got the newest version of techstream and got the mini-vci drivers working on 64 bit win 7. I will give it another try. Previously I was using techstream within VMWare running windows XP.

So when you have to turn the wheel for calibration, did you just strong arm it and rotate it? Whenever I got to that stage, I got an error.

It's frustrating that I spent 15 minutes installing the unit, and almost 2 hours troubleshooting. Unplugging and reinstalling multiple times...
Yes, I just strong armed the wheel. I wish the car was on a hoist.
Old 07-26-14, 11:49 AM
MadDane
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, be careful, the other threads that have mentioned anything to do with illegal copies of techstream have been deleted or banned!

The moderators are VERY strict regarding this as it violates Lexus legal software.

My suggestion, take techstream software conversations offline or elsewhere.

Just my 2cents....
Old 07-27-14, 11:46 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I got it working. Not sure what changed, but I was able to calibrate without communication errors.
Old 06-30-15, 10:16 AM
4grDrvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recalibrated my PS ECU. My setup is an 07 IS350 with an 08 ISF ECU. Once you go into the procedure of recalibrating/zeroing, you turn the car off/on, and it prompts you whether the PS light illuminated or not. Mine never came on. I redid it twice and still nothing. So I opted to skip that part.

Made it to the 6 step procedure (strong arm, rotating back and forth). I kept getting a time out/connection error when starting that as well. So the first step is to "make sure the steering wheel was center." I ended up skipping that step because every time I went to make minor adjustments before moving onto step 2 (strong arm in one direction, rotating 90 deg) it would give me the error. Once I skipped that and followed through the rest of it, I was finally able to complete that part with no error.

You actually have a chance to center the steering wheel later on in the procedure, before the vibrate test (I think it was second to last part). It will prompt you to make sure the steering wheel is center again right before the vibrate test.

I ended up draining my battery last night trying to figure all this out. Spent like two hours on it, with no luck. I had to wait until the morning before work to finally complete it. So hopefully this helps others with theirs and you don't end up killing your battery like I did.
Old 06-30-15, 09:10 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 4grDrvr
I just recalibrated my PS ECU. My setup is an 07 IS350 with an 08 ISF ECU. Once you go into the procedure of recalibrating/zeroing, you turn the car off/on, and it prompts you whether the PS light illuminated or not. Mine never came on. I redid it twice and still nothing. So I opted to skip that part.

Made it to the 6 step procedure (strong arm, rotating back and forth). I kept getting a time out/connection error when starting that as well. So the first step is to "make sure the steering wheel was center." I ended up skipping that step because every time I went to make minor adjustments before moving onto step 2 (strong arm in one direction, rotating 90 deg) it would give me the error. Once I skipped that and followed through the rest of it, I was finally able to complete that part with no error.

You actually have a chance to center the steering wheel later on in the procedure, before the vibrate test (I think it was second to last part). It will prompt you to make sure the steering wheel is center again right before the vibrate test.

I ended up draining my battery last night trying to figure all this out. Spent like two hours on it, with no luck. I had to wait until the morning before work to finally complete it. So hopefully this helps others with theirs and you don't end up killing your battery like I did.
Good luck bro, I really want to upgrade my ecu, but I don't have the tool to program, and the local Lexus don't want to do it for me
Old 07-01-15, 01:06 AM
mitsuboost
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4grDrvr

After all those errors and skipped steps did you successfully calibrate the steering? Is it working 100% trouble-free the way it's supposed to be?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-15, 08:29 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how well it will work if you skip a number of steps. When I did mine I had a lot of communication problems. It failed on the center the steering wheel part as well. I finally got it done after I used a trickle charger first to make sure I had a good charge, but I think what really got me thru was plugging the power supply into my laptop. I suspect the problem people have is that the techstream cable is powered by usb and I don't think most of the newer motherboard chipsets can supply enough voltage, especially when not plugged in. In order to really test that theory, I'd have to reprogram it a few times, and I'm not willing to do that now that it works fine. Just something to try when you have difficulty.
Old 07-01-15, 08:35 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "tool" to program is a techstream cable and they can be had for $20 to $30 on ebay or elsewhere. The software is freely downloadable and you can run the software without paying the registration fee. Not all functionality works if you don't register, but this part does. Toyota has had an opportunity to change the software to cut off this avenue on multiple releases if they wanted to, but they haven't ... well not since I checked last year anyway.
Old 07-01-15, 01:02 PM
mitsuboost
Rookie

Great information! Thanks for sharing your experience and reply
Old 07-16-15, 09:12 AM
Sceptre
Pole Position

This may sound stupid, but is there a trick to removing these plugs? I got one of the ones near the engine off (old traditional one) , but the other 2 seems like there is a bar or something to loosen before it will come off.

thanks
Old 12-15-15, 11:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

For those still having the communication errors when trying to calibrate - clear the DTCs first. The factory service manual is very clear about needing to do this first. I had the same issues, then read the content on TIS and it went like butter.
Old 01-29-16, 08:39 AM
aj289
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Good luck bro, I really want to upgrade my ecu, but I don't have the tool to program, and the local Lexus don't want to do it for me
So there's a possibility the service department will refuse? Sounds like a pain. Maybe I'll ask first before I find the ECU. Sounds like an awesome upgrade.
Old 01-29-16, 09:12 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Any Toyota dealer can perform the calibration as well.

Jeff

Quick Reply: IS-F / Sport Steering ECU