IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone know what to do to fix this

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-24, 01:04 AM
Nellie0303
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Anyone know what to do to fix this

Hello all I have a 2006 IS250 and recently it wouldn't go into gear at all I towed it home dropped the transmission pan changed the fluid and filter took out the solenoids cleaned them well put them back in a test drove it where it was shifting after high rpm then all the sudden it got stuck basically in drive reverse is drive and neutral is drive the only gear that is true is park so it sits again till I figure out what to do next ran the codes and it comes back with p0781 (1-2 shift malfunction) and p0761 (shift solenoid c stuck off) so I'm at a loss I keep researching and researching till my head is pounding so bad so any help with this would be more than amazing and appreciated the mileage on it is around 240k and it sat for a couple of years before I got it .
Old 03-30-24, 11:08 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Nellie0303
Hello all I have a 2006 IS250 and recently it wouldn't go into gear at all I towed it home dropped the transmission pan changed the fluid and filter took out the solenoids cleaned them well put them back in a test drove it where it was shifting after high rpm then all the sudden it got stuck basically in drive reverse is drive and neutral is drive the only gear that is true is park so it sits again till I figure out what to do next ran the codes and it comes back with p0781 (1-2 shift malfunction) and p0761 (shift solenoid c stuck off) so I'm at a loss I keep researching and researching till my head is pounding so bad so any help with this would be more than amazing and appreciated the mileage on it is around 240k and it sat for a couple of years before I got it .
There is more to a transmission than a code. The code is message only and not an absolute finger pointer that the solenoid didn't direct oil flow performing its job. The only way the TCU ECU knows the job was done is by looking at the input shaft speed and output shaft speed and comparing it to a lookup table so it knows its moving in say 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, etc. Indicating it shifted to the gear selected.

My point is, there are other valves in the valve body, check *****, clutch packs, pistons and bands that need to apply clamp force, to the clutch material to select a gear. If the gear selected doesn't produce the correct result, the TCU throws a code pointing to the last action requested which was solenoid X being commanded to do a job.

What needs done is pressure testing the transmission case (remove valvebody) and using an air gun to see if responsible fluid channels act on the specified band or drum making it clamp or does it just make a big air leak?

Question, was the fluid burned and stinky? Was there a pile of rubble in the pan? Did you see it, do the work yourself?

#2IS Transmission Repair

Last edited by 2013FSport; 03-30-24 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-30-24, 09:09 PM
Nellie0303
3rd Gear

Yes the fluid was horrible it was super black I didn't see anything in it however it was very dark and I honestly don't recall too horrible of a smell I mean yah it smelt bad and burnt you can say and yes I do most of the work myself as I'm a single mom of three and don't trust many people so google, youtube and of course, this forum is what tremendously helps me get through most of it but I'm far from a professional I just do my best. I am trying to understand fully now what you said I mean I understand but I'm not quite sure how to do that stuff yet I do greatly appreciate your feedback
Old 04-01-24, 09:49 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Yes the fluid was horrible it was super black I didn't see anything in it however it was very dark and I honestly don't recall too horrible of a smell I mean yah it smelt bad and burnt you can say and yes I do most of the work myself as I'm a single mom of three and don't trust many people so google, youtube and of course, this forum is what tremendously helps me get through most of it but I'm far from a professional I just do my best. I am trying to understand fully now what you said I mean I understand but I'm not quite sure how to do that stuff yet I do greatly appreciate your feedback
Based on what you just wrote about the fluid being black and smelling burnt, I'd suggest you cut your losses and plan on sourcing a used trans as this one likely has lost some clutches and no test will fix that. Apparently anything from 2006 to 2015 is a bolt in.

Did it have a leak and ran low on fluid?

Here is a diagram of the A760E RWD to give you some insight about what all is going on inside. Let me know if there is anything I can answer for you and best of luck.

https://at-manuals.com/wp-content/up...960-scheme.jpg

Old 04-01-24, 11:12 PM
Nellie0303
3rd Gear

No, it didn't have a leak at all and mine has the A960E transmission and thank you very much I truly appreciate your help and feedback
Old 04-02-24, 08:50 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

No, it didn't have a leak at all and mine has the A960E transmission and thank you very much I truly appreciate your help and feedback

That is correct. As stated, others here have used up to a 2015 A960E so that gives you options as there plenty of used low mileage units out there.

Yes, there are mom and pop shops out there that can successfully R&R a trans. Do search on here, a member did a writeup DIY replacement with quality pictures and text. It could help you ask better questions about what you are paying for or allow you to DIY.

If you had the car up and dropped the pan, you are in a good spot to do this yourself. It really is just nuts and bolts, being sensible and don't put yourself at risk with cinder blocks and crap like that.

I used to work at transmission shop doing R&R and rebuilds. Ask any questions you have, I'll try and help.

GL
The following users liked this post:
Protholl (04-03-24)