IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Drained transmission fluid accidentally

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-11, 11:17 PM
XxdbxX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drained transmission fluid accidentally

Hey everyone, noob here..im not an expert on cars(obviously) but ive always done the oil change on all of the cars i had, today while doing an oil change,i accidentally drained about 2.5 quarts of transmission fluid off my is250 thinking it was the engine oil pan(i know, im an idiot), put the plug back in, changed the oil filter, then poured the oil in the engine then drove about 4-6 miles, at stop i pressed the gas and the car revved from 0 to 3000rpm then would drop down to 2000rpm in a beat, did that about 4 times thinking it was normal, then boom check vsc, engine light, and the traction light came on. so basically i had 13 quartz combination of the new and the old engine oil and 2.5 less transmission fluid when i drove it..My question is, do you think i did any damage to my car(engine, transmission)?

Im gonna have the car towed to the dealership by monday so they can flush the transmission and put some fluid in it, but i just wanna know, if there's anyone out there that did the same mistake i did, or know about this stuff..thanks, id appreciate anyone that could help
Old 11-20-11, 12:16 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

It is entirely possible that you fried the transmission. You basically starved the trans of oil. If you tried to accelerate and the engine revved and the car didnt move, thats definitely not a good sign. Overfilling oil by that much can do damage as well. You wont know til you take it to the dealer... possible that it didnt do any damage, and possible that it did a lot of damage.
Old 11-20-11, 12:18 AM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn sorry to hear that, hope you didnt blow up the engine gasket for have too much oil, plus the crankshaft have to work harder to get through all that extra oil thats probably why the engine reacted that way.. Drain some oout and see what happen. I could be wrong..
Old 11-20-11, 12:23 AM
HSTexan
Driver

This has got to be a troll. Are you saying you didn't even drain the oil and just added more? And you're saying you always do oil changes on your cars?
Old 11-20-11, 12:41 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

WTF..............mess up on a honda or toyota not a LEXUS
Old 11-20-11, 12:51 AM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by btmar
This has got to be a troll. Are you saying you didn't even drain the oil and just added more? And you're saying you always do oil changes on your cars?
Originally Posted by WIZARD1325
WTF..............mess up on a honda or toyota not a LEXUS
I think he is already pretty mad and frustrated from what happened,(I would) give him some tips/advices if we can.
Old 11-20-11, 12:54 AM
XxdbxX
Driver School Candidate

When i was doing the change oil i thought the transmission fluid pan was the oil pan, it looks similar to the is350 oil pan thats why i thought i was the right one..i wasnt try to mess woth it, i just made a mistake..thanks tho
Old 11-20-11, 12:55 AM
HSTexan
Driver

Originally Posted by MyIS350G
I think he is already pretty mad and frustrated from what happened,(I would) give him some tips/advices if we can.
I'm not one to judge, and especially being relatively new here as well, but he stated he performs oil changes himself on all his cars, yet later he says when he drove it around it had 13 "quartz" of oil. Not to mention it's his first and only post as someone who has freshly registered. Perhaps other forums have jaded me, but it's hard to take the thread starter seriously or even consider this is a serious thread.
Old 11-20-11, 12:56 AM
HSTexan
Driver

Originally Posted by XxdbxX
When i was doing the change oil i thought the transmission fluid pan was the oil pan, it looks similar to the is350 oil pan thats why i thought i was the right one..i wasnt try to mess woth it, i just made a mistake..thanks tho
Simple question: did you or did you not drain any oil from the car before attempting to fill it up with new oil?
Old 11-20-11, 01:08 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

ok the situation already sucks as it is no need to make fun of the guy anymore. moving on.... at this point you should probably just have it towed to a mechanic or the stealership to have it checked. I wouldnt even drive it before you do anymore damage. good luck
Old 11-20-11, 01:09 AM
XxdbxX
Driver School Candidate

I drained the transmission fluid pan thinking it was the oil pan..i thought i was draining the motor oil but instead i drained the transmissionfluid, now thnking all of the old motor oil was out, i poured about 6.7 quartz of new oil, so if i didnt drain the old motor oil which i estimated is 6.7 quartz i so thats around 13 quartz, aint it?..i apologize im a newbie here..i just need a little help

Last edited by XxdbxX; 11-20-11 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-20-11, 01:10 AM
XxdbxX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks appreciate it
Old 11-20-11, 01:10 AM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by btmar
Simple question: did you or did you not drain any oil from the car before attempting to fill it up with new oil?
I think he drained the transmission oil a little, then without draining the engine oil he added another 6/7quarts. but ur right about the statement that he made " but ive always done the oil change on all of the cars i had..."
Old 11-20-11, 02:16 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure how much damage you did to the transmission considering you wont get much out opening up the drain bolt but the overfill of oil would worry me. I would expect the gaskets and seals to burst quickly with all that extra pressure from the excess oil.

I didn't even know it was possibly to overfill by that much without it being very apparent!
Old 11-20-11, 03:23 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't check the dipstick?

Quick Reply: Drained transmission fluid accidentally