IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Repainting my car at....Maaco...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 09:38 AM
rmittim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainting my car at....Maaco...

I tried to search for this topic but it seems like not many people have done this.
I am having an IS250 2007 Smoky Granite (108xxx milage ). I have had it for about 2 years and I just realized that the front and rear bumper had been repainted before.

So I am thinking about repainting the whole car, turning it into white....I have been doing research about place and price for a full body coat. It seems to me that Maaco has a pretty good deal. They quoted me 1200 for a full body coat + 5 years warranty...

I have also heard alot that Maaco paint job is really ****ty....they said that I would destroy the value of my car if I repaint it. I don't know if Maaco paint job is that bad and if it is then how can they stay in the business for so long.

Does anyone here has had experience with Maaco paint job and their warranty? Should I repaint my whole car or should I wrap it...(saw a member on CL warp his car with Orange Matte and man I LOVE IT... )

So please tell me what do you guys think and if you have ever had any experience with paint job please let me know. I am willing to take any suggestions any recommendations.
Thank you for reading my post and hope you all have a great day!
Old 11-10-11, 09:51 AM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

I've had them paint 3 cars of mine when I was younger. They were just track cars so I didn't really care too much. In all honesty I would never let them do a full color change! They overspray really bad. There is a reason they are so cheap. If you're picky with your car at all... Don't let maaco do a full repaint.
Old 11-10-11, 09:52 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just wrap it. ive never used maaco but i think its the quality of the job that sucks. Things like overspray, orange peel, and runs would be a major concern. At the end of the day its unexperienced teenagers painting your car.
Old 11-10-11, 09:53 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

If you prep prime and mask off the car yourself you'll be fine.
Old 11-10-11, 10:05 AM
TheDream
Rookie

They don't to the greatest job. While they use the same paint and materials as the top dollar body shops, they barely do any prep work or wetsand when done to make sure there's no orange peel. If you don't properly disassemble the car (remove bumpers, lights, trim, mirrors, door handles, you'll have to deal with over spray residue and paint flaking from the edges in a couple of years.
Plus most maaco jobs are single stage, which means they'll fade after a couple of years. You'd want dual stage (basecoat+clear) to make it look like factory paint.
Old 11-10-11, 10:17 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
I would just wrap it. ive never used maaco but i think its the quality of the job that sucks. Things like overspray, orange peel, and runs would be a major concern. At the end of the day its unexperienced teenagers painting your car.
wrapping is definitely the way to go though you'll preserve the value of the car and vinyl is just as strong as clear bras. only thing with this is you won't be able to wax your car but cleaning it will be easy as far as getting bugs off etc. You can even wrap your whole car carbon fiber =) it costs about 1200-1400 for wrapping a whole car. Matte Black is pretty popular as far as wrapping. I would definitely look into that. I wrapped my roof carbon fiber and several interior and exterior panels.
Old 11-10-11, 10:22 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
dont expect a warranty then. maaco would be stupid to give out a paint warranty for something they didnt prep themselves.

1200 for a full paint job is way to cheap especially with the lexus colors.
Old 11-10-11, 10:29 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When your doing a full color change from black to white, its going to be very hard to get the door jams or inside the engine bay. I suggest you wrap it. Rarely would you want to do a complete color change unless your dealing with a very high end shop; they'll always miss a shop.

Second, at your budget, wrapping is probably the best choice. A good paint job for the whole car should run you at least $4k. $1.2k is just askng for trouble.
Old 11-10-11, 10:30 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792875
Old 11-10-11, 10:34 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

check out this thread too https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-on-is350.html
Old 11-10-11, 11:11 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This absolutely will destroy the value of your car. The fact that the car was repainted will be very apparent to any potential buyers, and will become even moreso if they look up the VIN and see it was originally a different color. To understand why, look up Lexus' paint process and compare it to Maaco's.

That said, it's already a high mileage car, and if you're planning to drive it until the wheels fall off, then this may not be as big a concern to you. But if you DO drive it until the wheels fall off, I don't imagine the paint job will look very pretty by then..
Old 11-10-11, 12:26 PM
BamaIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I wouldn't change the color.
2. I wouldn't let MAACO paint my car.
Old 11-10-11, 12:30 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Agreed! I was gonna do this with my drag car, but ended up selling before I could finish the body/paint portion of the build.
Old 11-10-11, 12:55 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Avoid painting the car a whole new color if you can, it will destroy the resale value, especially if you had it painted at a run-of-the-mill paint chain like Maaco. Anyone will be able to tell right away that the car has been repainted because most people don't opt to have all the door jams and underhood painted areas resprayed so while the outside of the car is a differnet color, the "hidden" painted parts aren't. This is what shops like Maaco usually do, they don't paint all the jams and such, just the outside. The actual paint shops like Maaco use is also not that great, and they often just do a thin coating that will chip VERY easily from regular road debris....usually because the surfaces are prepped very poorly underneath as well so the paint doesn't ahere as well to the car. The reason shops like Maaco even stay in business is because their prices are so low. A lot of people just want quick and cheap resprays...they don't really pay attention to the orange peel or poor durability. If Maaco wasn't around, who would paint all those ugly body kits for the ricers :P

A wrap is a good idea, but it is very expensive. Most of the cost is labor, so if you can get the materials on your own and know how to wrap a car properly, you'll save most of the cost. A good wrap is going to cost more then the $1200 Maaco paint job for sure because of Labor. For the cost of most quality wraps, your not looking at too much more to just have a reputable shop prep and paint the car instead. But keep in mind doing the door jams and eveything makes the cost jump significantly if you want it completely repainted.

Curious, why do you want to paint the car. Is there something wrong with the front and rear bumpers or you just realized they are slightly off in color and want a whole new paint job now? lol
Old 11-10-11, 01:05 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

they basically just PAINT the car....they wont do any prep

just wrap it if you want to change color.....

Quick Reply: Repainting my car at....Maaco...