IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smart Card Key

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 12:29 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Funny. Unfortunately, even if you have an extra car battery at your disposal, you still need the mechanical key to unlock the door and pop the hood in order to install it.
Old 02-09-12, 02:34 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 06 IS350 and use the smart card for 07 LS 460. Make sure that when programming it the battery is good otherwise it can't be program.
Old 02-14-12, 05:17 PM
Egeiger
Driver

Has anyone actually gotten the smart card and had the physical key insert cut for their IS??

i know you can program the card to any IS but what about the physical key?? do you have to order this separate? or is it not even possible?
Old 02-14-12, 07:06 PM
sigp239
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Egeiger
Has anyone actually gotten the smart card and had the physical key insert cut for their IS??

i know you can program the card to any IS but what about the physical key?? do you have to order this separate? or is it not even possible?
Sewell sells the physical key seperately from the key card. When purchasing online you have the option to have it cut by your VIN number. I have a 2011 and it works perfectly.
Old 02-14-12, 08:00 PM
Egeiger
Driver

perfect answer! thanks!
Old 02-15-12, 01:03 AM
kegleyb
Driver

I purchased the smart card from Sewell along with the key (uncut), and during programing the dealership tried cutting it and didn't have a machine that could (I guess it was too thin). They used my VIN and had a pre-cut key to me the next day without even asking them.

Lexus service at its best.
Old 02-15-12, 03:07 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

This card is Interesting to me. I would consider getting one if they were a tad bit cheaper. My friend has a ctsv 2011 coupe. They have the same smart key as us. He took his second key for the car apart and some how made his own smart card. It looked like he took the key fob housing off then put the inside circuit board out and used 2 credit cards of some sort and placed the circuit board and battery inside of it and put 4 tiny little magnets at each corner of the cards and it held everything in place . He said it works just like the 350 dollar card that's a option for the car and he could put the gets right back into the key fob in 5 minutes. I will admit it's not as nice as the Lexus smart key but it you aren't taking it out your wallet what does it matter anyway. I might have to hit him up to do this for me and take pics while he does it and make a DIY thread
Old 02-15-12, 05:33 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Just out of curiousity I took my key fob apart to see exactly how it's made. I actually see how he made his own smart card now. The whole chip and battery is connect and comes right out. Its a tad bit bigger then 2 credit cards but not much. I own a bowling bag and supply company and we work with a lot of plastics and carbon fiber. I bet I could get one of my factories to make a mold that's similar to the smart card with a Lexus logo or fsport logo and you could put your key fob chip in there and you got a smart card. I could even make a spot that holds the spare key. I could do it in plastic or carbon fiber look plastic or even real carbon fiber. If I had enough interest in this item I would become a supporting vendor to this site and make them.

If any mods see this post send me a link on how to become a supporting vendor
Old 02-15-12, 08:23 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stasis3131
Just out of curiousity I took my key fob apart to see exactly how it's made. I actually see how he made his own smart card now. The whole chip and battery is connect and comes right out. Its a tad bit bigger then 2 credit cards but not much. I own a bowling bag and supply company and we work with a lot of plastics and carbon fiber. I bet I could get one of my factories to make a mold that's similar to the smart card with a Lexus logo or fsport logo and you could put your key fob chip in there and you got a smart card. I could even make a spot that holds the spare key. I could do it in plastic or carbon fiber look plastic or even real carbon fiber. If I had enough interest in this item I would become a supporting vendor to this site and make them.

I would be interested in seeing it...
Old 02-19-12, 11:08 AM
Egeiger
Driver

lets see a prototype i may be in
Old 02-19-12, 07:02 PM
kevhitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stasis3131

What company do you own? I'm an avid bowler and have been looking for a new bag as my KR bag is getting a little older.
Old 03-09-12, 06:28 PM
Asakura58
Pole Position

Question: will a LX smart card work on a IS250? I tried asking the seller buy they have no clue :S (it is brand new card)
Old 03-09-12, 07:07 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

09+ LX570 has the same smart key part number as the 09+ ISx50.

Jeff
Old 03-09-12, 07:33 PM
Asakura58
Pole Position

sweet! thanks Jeff looks like it will work on my 09 then!
Old 04-13-12, 08:22 PM
enrikito
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i went through a few threads on this topic and i thought this would be the best place to post my question instead of creating a new thread...

i recently got my card key from our friends at sewell lexus, when i took it to get it programmed a few days ago the service advisor told me that they had issues with it:

- the procedure was described as re-seeding the keys and locks (i lost one keyfob and wanted it gone from my car's memory)
- their programming software recognizes the card key but it won't pair it with my car
- part number was correct for my model year but when they tried searching the part by vin# and couldn't find it in their catalog

so a couple of things come to mind...

darrel at sewell suggested program it with a new battery in the card... the service advisor simply told me that it won't work

the other thing that i found out is that my 2008 IS250 was one of the late production cars before the 2009 mid-cycle update, and some of its parts may actually be 2009 parts, and also from some searching and reading that i've done here it looks like some folks ran into the same issue before...

can someone chime in on this? i wanted some sort of confirmation before initiating any returns/refunds...

do i need a 2009 key? are the lexus techs doing it wrong?

thanks!

my car: 2008 IS250 AT (production date June 08)
2008 part number: 89904-50642 (doesn't work so far)
2009 part number: 89904-50480 (may work and has worked on some?)

Quick Reply: Smart Card Key