IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

!!!!Transmission Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 06:39 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie559
Has anyone attemp to change their tranny fluid yet? If so, give details? Thanks.
By themselves you mean?

Not possible unless you not only own a fluid exchange machine, but also the (relatively new) special attachment that replaces the heat exchanger on the transmission.

I'm not aware of anyone who has done the above yet, and again in the US anyway Lexus makes a point of mentioning several times in the owners manual that this is neither required, recommended, or necessary, with the fluid being a lifetime fluid, and the transmission being a sealed unit that never requires servicing.

If you are talking about paying a shop to do it make sure they're actually doing what I describe above, because a number of folks have been sucked into paying for a "transmission fluid change" that consisted of just replacing the 10% or so of the fluid that you can get out by removing the drain plug. (which up until recently was the only physically possible way to change any of it- again it was designed by Lexus not to be changed).
Old 01-02-12, 08:08 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's no need to worry about the transmission fluid. There's a member here (MoLexus) with 250,000 on his without a transmission fluid service ever being done.
Old 01-03-12, 06:15 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent point. I would still be curious to know if anyone has had it done by the method that Kurtz mentioned.

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
There's no need to worry about the transmission fluid. There's a member here (MoLexus) with 250,000 on his without a transmission fluid service ever being done.
Old 05-17-12, 12:27 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by jbjones85
Excellent point. I would still be curious to know if anyone has had it done by the method that Kurtz mentioned.
I just did my es330 that has the lifetime fluid and filter and the fluid was junk and filter was not much better. Debris all over @ just 65K miles. Put in a new toyo filter $33, gasket $9 and installed Amsoil atf...Shafts Way better and runs cooler (go figure). I did rad at 60K since the car is 6 years old.

Just drain tranny and install new fluid. Re-drain at 30K and then you are done for like 50K miles; if using Amsoil. This method works great in my 99 with over 200K miles. Fluid tests mint and fluid as clean and smells like new fluid.

Below is the old filter (left) and new filter (right)

Below is the pan after removal and metal shavings all over.

Below middle clear bottle is old black fluid.

Ps. I trust lexus and there dealers very little on fluids and things to change. There warrenty changed to nickel and dime the customer. They do not design fluids, the shop around for them and design the car around it.

Last edited by snowmaker; 05-17-12 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-17-12, 12:53 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ It's not that easy in the 2IS. You don't just drain drain the fluid and refill it up again lol
Old 05-17-12, 02:08 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
^ It's not that easy in the 2IS. You don't just drain drain the fluid and refill it up again lol

Neither is my other ford exploder or 91 ford mustang. It can be done if you try. Look around on the web, this is nothng new here..

Last edited by snowmaker; 05-17-12 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-18-12, 05:47 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by snowmaker
Neither is my other ford exploder or 91 ford mustang. It can be done if you try...
No, it can't.

Not at home anyway.

Drop the pan entirely and let it sit all day draining and you'll have removed about 10-15% of the total fluid. "just drain" gets even less out.

I suggest you look around (maybe even in this very thread) because the design really isn't like any of the cars you've mentioned.

Changing the fluid has only been possible at all for the last year or two, and only then with a very specific couple pieces of specialized and fairly expensive equipment.

Last edited by Kurtz; 05-18-12 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-18-12, 04:59 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Engine oil as others mentioned (5k-10k+ depending on oil type)

Brake Fluid every 30k miles

Radiator fluid at 120k miles
there is no problem with going 10k+ with a good synthetic oil, I can go 9K miles on my F450 towing 20K lbs all the time running Amsoil (confirmed by UOAs), also I do brake fluid every 2 years, time affects it more than miles
Old 05-19-12, 06:09 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
No, it can't.

Not at home anyway.

Drop the pan entirely and let it sit all day draining and you'll have removed about 10-15% of the total fluid. "just drain" gets even less out.

I suggest you look around (maybe even in this very thread) because the design really isn't like any of the cars you've mentioned.

Changing the fluid has only been possible at all for the last year or two, and only then with a very specific couple pieces of specialized and fairly expensive equipment.

Oh please. Drop the pan online removes that? Ths is a little BS. The users can remove the tranny cooler lines and do that to. This thread has crap for info and I got the same people saying it on my exploder tranny (you need special equ which is BS) and mustang (sealed). Both can be done for a DYI.

Again, if you try it can be done. I have worked on $1M army trucks and $40M airplanes and nothing is this hard. But ha, if you want pay the dealers to do it.

Last edited by snowmaker; 05-19-12 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 07:17 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

dropping the pan only drains 1.5qts
Old 05-19-12, 07:21 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

Old 05-19-12, 07:37 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Oh please. Drop the pan online removes that? Ths is a little BS.
No, it's not.

Someone above just proved it by posting the info direct from Lexus.

The users can remove the tranny cooler lines and do that to.
No, they can't do that either.

Seriously, please, stop talking until you have even a slight clue what you're talking about.

This thread has crap for info
I agree, but only primarily in your posts so far.

and I got the same people saying it on my exploder tranny (you need special equ which is BS) and mustang (sealed). Both can be done for a DYI.
That's great, but it can't be done for the 2IS.

it's a different car.

Again, if you try it can be done.

No, it can't, without very specific special hardware.

I have worked on $1M army trucks and $40M airplanes and nothing is this hard. .

I hope, unlike this case, you actually learned how they worked first. Otherwise, yikes.

Anyway, to sum up,

you won't get even 10% of the fluid just pulling the plug.

You'll get maybe 10-15% tops just dropping the pan.

You can't use the cooling lines at all (I'll let you figure out why, it'd be good for to actually learn something correct about this car)

You can't change any significant amount of the fluid without both a fluid exchange machine and a very specific adapter to make it work (hint- it doesn't use the coolant lines either)

Now, if you'd like to keep discussing this, without being unintentionally hilarious, I suggest you take 30 minutes and actually read up on why none of your ideas will work, and what actually will.
Old 05-19-12, 07:45 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

Oh please. Drop the pan online removes that? Ths is a little BS. The users can remove the tranny cooler lines and do that to. This thread has crap for info and I got the same people saying it on my exploder tranny (you need special equ which is BS) and mustang (sealed). Both can be done for a DYI.

Again, if you try it can be done. I have worked on $1M army trucks and $40M airplanes and nothing is this hard. But ha, if you want pay the dealers to do it.
There is no cooler lines in this car, transmission has a puck style ATF warmer. Here you go...

Old 05-19-12, 07:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Now you're making it too easy on him :P

But yeah, that's why you can't use the line- they don't contain transmission fluid- they contain engine coolant.

And it's why I said back in January-

By themselves you mean?

Not possible unless you not only own a fluid exchange machine, but also the (relatively new) special attachment that replaces the heat exchanger on the transmission.

Basically they make a special adapter the same size/shape as the ATF heat exchange puck.

You have to remove the coolant lines (which again don't contain tranny fluid)

then remove the ATF heat exchanger

Then install the special adapter

Then hook the adapter to a fluid exchange machine.

Only then can you actually get any real significant amount of the fluid changed...

Then you unhook the machine, remove the adapter, re install the ATF heat exchanger, then re install the coolant lines, insure the ATF is at the correct level via the refill procedure posted earlier (which is the only way to know since there's no dipstick), then top the engine coolant back off because you doubtless loss some of that too removing the cooling lines.

Hence why you can't really DIY unless you happen to own all that equipment, which you generally won't unless you're a shop (and even then you prob. won't have the adapter unless you specifically work on a lot of newer Lexus/Toyota vehicles).

Last edited by Kurtz; 05-19-12 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 08:13 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

Now you're making it too easy on him :P

I know but I hate when people make assumptions of things they have no clue about or when they drop things like "I work on 100 trillion dollar planes so I must know how everything works on every car...."

Quick Reply: !!!!Transmission Oil change