IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Luxury package vs. f sport package

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-11, 07:09 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Yep true because when I've been there - the USB's I've seen is an IS-F. USB F-Sport is rare that they will have to special ordered to get it in as it is not brought into the region.

Actually I saw a certified USB IS Convertible yesterday too there - first time I've seen a convertible like that since I only heard of them like it.
My mistake... I actually meant I saw twice a USB 2011 IS250 F-Sport in LOB's indoor showroom back in October 2010 (That day, I actually only saw two black ISFs, no USB ISFs) which the salesman wanted me to buy but I wanted specifically a 2011 IS350 F-Sport in SGM. Then I saw a USB 2011 IS250 F-Sport a couple of months ago at Lexus of Seattle which sat there for at least a month but I wonder if it's gone by now.

So these USB F-Sports would be from special orders that customers cancelled on? Just wondering. I would've thought they were just sitting on the lot just because they got them in and not necessarily because someone special-ordered it and ended up backing out.

I've yet to see the ISC in USB though!
Old 11-06-11, 07:26 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wunko
So these USB F-Sports would be from special orders that customers cancelled on? Just wondering. I would've thought they were just sitting on the lot just because they got them in and not necessarily because someone special-ordered it and ended up backing out.

I've yet to see the ISC in USB though!
Since the USB's F-Sport are not carried in the Pacific Northwest region, they need to be special ordered therefore; customers would have to put a deposit money up front. The dealership could get it from a different region but it would imply transportation costs therefore you would get charged that on top - might as well go special ordered then.

The one I got from the selling dealership was out of the ordinary. The GM of the selling dealership, speculates there was a change in management at their sister dealership. A manager there special ordered a USB and had it reserved (hidden it from inventory). When the change of management occurred, the manager who special ordered it in probably no longer worked there - therefore the sister dealership essentially did not know what to do with the vehicle and ended up sitting on the lot when it arrived.

You have to go to LoB to see the convertible! It’s just sitting on the right side of the lot from the main entrance.

Last edited by Sango; 11-06-11 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-06-11, 07:47 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
As for the rain sensor, I find them not quite reliable as I tried them out on loaner cars. I rather be in control myself.
I love my rain sensing wipers.

To the point that it's nearly a requirement for any future car I look at.

4+ years and they work perfectly.

I rolled my eyes when I saw it as a feature too... thought it was the dumbest idea ever...but after using em for a while they're the single feature of any that I'd hate to be without....they made me realize just how annoyingly bad "intermittent" wipers are in comparison. Just leave it on auto and never touch your wipers again.

Just gotta remember to turn em off if I ever go through a car wash

That, and the lack of vented seats in the hot humid south here, are the two things that most make me glad I got in on the old sport package before they killed it off.... the auto dim/tilt side mirrors are nice too for seeing curbs and not getting blinding glare at night

Originally Posted by reset2k
Hm... I called and e-mailed 6 dealerships before purchasing my car and every single one of them said the F-Sport is special order only and will not be sold for much less than MSRP. Like I stated earlier, you're the exception. You bought an F-Sport sitting on a car lot that they had sitting, so of course when you're looking for one, you have the advantage. Most dealerships don't have one, or have the price jacked up.
Then call more dealers.

I contacted dealers all over the country when shopping for mine, which I knew up front would be a special order... and I was unwilling to pay significantly more than invoice (which is many thousands less than MSRP).

Quite a few gave me that MSRP for special orders crap.

Eventually I found one smart enough to realize that a guaranteed sale with a small profit, for them not actually having to do any "selling" of the car at all, was a good idea.

2.5 months later my car arrived from Japan exactly how I asked for it for an excellent price, and I was lucky enough that the dealer in question was nearby, but I'd have happily traveling if need be to get the car I wanted at the price I wanted. Why spend 30-40 grand and NOT get exactly what you want?

And why in the world pay much over invoice anymore for a car that's going into it's 7th year of production, with a new model next year? Heck, mine was only 3rd year of production and I didn't.
Old 11-06-11, 07:49 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by reset2k
Hm... I called and e-mailed 6 dealerships before purchasing my car and every single one of them said the F-Sport is special order only and will not be sold for much less than MSRP. Like I stated earlier, you're the exception. You bought an F-Sport sitting on a car lot that they had sitting, so of course when you're looking for one, you have the advantage. Most dealerships don't have one, or have the price jacked up.

I completely agree about truecar.com - it's a great source and was a key factor when I was negotiating for my vehicle.
It is has been tough 3-4 months for Lexus with inventory because of the earthquake. I work for Toyota and have felt the pain. I bought my F Sport in July and got them down to 1k under invoice and they were asking 5k over MSRP for a retail deal. A fair deal on that car is anything below 1k over invoice.
Old 11-06-11, 08:27 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I love my rain sensing wipers.

To the point that it's nearly a requirement for any future car I look at.

4+ years and they work perfectly.

I rolled my eyes when I saw it as a feature too... thought it was the dumbest idea ever...but after using em for a while they're the single feature of any that I'd hate to be without....they made me realize just how annoyingly bad "intermittent" wipers are in comparison. Just leave it on auto and never touch your wipers again.

Just gotta remember to turn em off if I ever go through a car wash

That, and the lack of vented seats in the hot humid south here, are the two things that most make me glad I got in on the old sport package before they killed it off.... the auto dim/tilt side mirrors are nice too for seeing curbs and not getting blinding glare at night
Oh yes, good point about the car wash. Flip off! Worse if someone put it through an automatic one! (eek!)

I forgot about hte auto/dimming even thou the Canada version has them on there. Definately useful for parking reverse in or parallel.
Old 11-06-11, 09:08 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol. interesting... luxury package all the way. ftw.
Old 11-06-11, 09:33 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the luxury pack. It is rare to find it on our cars. I'd get a lux pack one because, you can add F-Sport wheels, springs, sway bars, badges etc, but you can't add rain sensing wipers, memory seats, rear shade, etc, almost everything from the F-sport, except the seats.

Last edited by istarzan; 11-06-11 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-06-11, 10:58 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know some suggested getting the luxury package and then adding F-Sport accessory parts yourself to have your cake and eat it too. But that's not true at all. Doing that doesn't turn your car into the factory F-Sport package, because the factory F-Sport package doesn't come with F-Sport accessory parts to begin with.

What the factory F-Sport package comes with, some things you could easily add, like f-sport grille and front lip. Others like the f-sport steering wheel might be hard to justify the cost. As for the black headliner and IS-F seats that come with the F-sport package (which btw are very sweet), i'd say 99.99% of people wouldn't be doing this swap.

the only real way to have features from both packages is to get the IS-F (or to some extent the Canada spec F-Sport package).
Old 11-08-11, 07:55 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks everyone for the help. We decided and on the Luxury package and just came home with it. We went for the 2011 350 and were lucky we found the exact car we wanted. Traded in the G35 coupe and first thing the wife said on the drive home was we need to look into an after market exhaust! she got use to the sound of the G35 (sounded bad ***, not loud just right) so the search is on for something that might fit the bill.
Old 11-08-11, 09:47 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

congrats on your purchase. what color did u get
Old 11-08-11, 11:57 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good choice. You can search the forums about ppl *****ing that they can't add rear window shade or telescoping steering wheel....LOL

Always good to research, which is why it took me 6 months to find a good used one with lux pak.
Old 11-09-11, 12:41 AM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1herm4
Thanks everyone for the help. We decided and on the Luxury package and just came home with it. We went for the 2011 350 and were lucky we found the exact car we wanted. Traded in the G35 coupe and first thing the wife said on the drive home was we need to look into an after market exhaust! she got use to the sound of the G35 (sounded bad ***, not loud just right) so the search is on for something that might fit the bill.
fsport exhaust lol. clean and classy .
Old 11-09-11, 01:41 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
Good choice. You can search the forums about ppl *****ing that they can't add rear window shade or telescoping steering wheel....LOL

Always good to research, which is why it took me 6 months to find a good used one with lux pak.
is called limo window tint.. I still think the fsport package is a better package than the luxury package but thats just me

Last edited by mong; 11-09-11 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-09-11, 08:47 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
not true at all... it used to be a choice of Luxury or Sport package, and those were moderately close... both had a half dozen luxury features, the differences were sport pack had sport pedals, sport suspension, and aluminum trim... the lux package didn't have any of those but instead gave you woodgrain, rear sunshade, and illuminated door sil.

The sport package was dropped for 2011 and replaced with the F-sport package, which lacks most of the luxury features the old sport package came with... (memory seats, rain sensing wipers, auto tilt and dim side mirrors, power tilt/telescope steering, etc...) and instead gives you the same sport pedals and suspension, but not much else besides appearance items (badge and stitching stuff, a unique looking steering wheel, and the seats from the IS-F, which are more supportive, but lose the vented feature).
I said Basically. There is not much to the F Sport cars. I would know I have one. The seats are the only big thing that one would not get gettin the lux pkg instead of F sport. There are a few small things that are relatively cheap to put on the car afterwards. It's been a while since I've driven an F but from what I remember the seats were all leather. F-Sport pkg seats aren't.
Old 11-09-11, 10:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iRock
I said Basically. There is not much to the F Sport cars. I would know I have one. The seats are the only big thing that one would not get gettin the lux pkg instead of F sport. There are a few small things that are relatively cheap to put on the car afterwards. It's been a while since I've driven an F but from what I remember the seats were all leather. F-Sport pkg seats aren't.

The OP asked what he would miss or gain getting the Lux package over the F-sport.

You said "Basically just the seats"

Implying that's the only difference between the two packages.

That is what I was correcting (or perhaps clairfying if you meant something else by your post- but at one 1 line it's hard to tell)

There's at least half a dozen additional features he'd be gaining with the Lux package that are not in the F-sport package.

(and since you lose the vented feature with the F-sport package I still view the F-sport seats as a downgrade too, though you do gain nicer side bolsters, but I suppose this one depends on the climate you live in).

Quick Reply: Luxury package vs. f sport package