IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need some help i have couple lights on my dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 10:01 AM
08lexus350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help i have couple lights on my dash

i have a 2008 is350, and the power steering is not working i can't turn the steering wheel., than i got like every possible light on, check engine, P/S, triangle !, traction control, there couple more things that are not working properly. ill try to post some pics. if anyone can help me some i would appreciate it since the dealer is 80miles away from me i can't just go there anytime.
but my main this is to try to fix the power steering
Old 10-26-11, 12:06 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No one can really help without knowing more, it could be hundreds of things.

Go to your local Autozone or similar and get your codes scanned for free, or better you buy a $40 OBDII scanner so you can check them yourself and post them here.
Old 10-26-11, 12:10 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if you have a 08, it should still be under warranty

was the car involved in an accident or something?
Old 10-26-11, 12:47 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
if you have a 08, it should still be under warranty

was the car involved in an accident or something?
While I generally agree with get the dealer involved under warranty, the first batches of 2008 models have now passed their 4 year bumper to bumper warranty.... (the first 08s were delivered to dealers the last week of september 2007)

There was a steering recall, but I wanna say it was on 06-07 models, so that's likely not relevant.. overall yeah, dealer if under warranty...get the codes scanned otherwise.
Old 10-26-11, 01:17 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Do you have aftermarket HID lights? I recall some previous posters having steering issues (including the steering wheel swinging back and forth like it was possessed!) due to EMI between the ballast and the power steering ECU.
Old 10-26-11, 02:14 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What have you done to the car lately?
Old 10-26-11, 06:31 PM
08lexus350
Driver

i just bought the car from a guy like that for a 14k, it was a really good deal. but he said all problems were on me, no body damage or anything that i saw so i took the car. he worked at the hospital, so i take it he was a rich guys that didn't have enough time to do anything or keep up with the car. ill go tomorrow to auto zone and buy the OBDII scanner, the closest dealer is 100 miles away so its a hassle to go back and forth
Old 10-26-11, 06:50 PM
08lexus350
Driver

Default some pics of my service lights on

some pics of my service lights are on, also on the dash none of the heating/cooling control buttons are not working., thanks a lot guys I'm kinda new to this
Attached Thumbnails Need some help i have couple lights on my dash-image.jpg   Need some help i have couple lights on my dash-image-1.jpg   Need some help i have couple lights on my dash-image-2.jpg   Need some help i have couple lights on my dash-image-3.jpg  
Old 10-26-11, 06:53 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 08lexus350
i just bought the car from a guy like that for a 14k, it was a really good deal. but he said all problems were on me, no body damage or anything that i saw so i took the car. he worked at the hospital, so i take it he was a rich guys that didn't have enough time to do anything or keep up with the car. ill go tomorrow to auto zone and buy the OBDII scanner, the closest dealer is 100 miles away so its a hassle to go back and forth
You paid $14,000 for a 2008 IS350?

One or more of the following is true:

It's a salvage title
It has something very seriously wrong with it
It has a lot of miles on it (well north of 100k)
He was incredibly desperate for cash

I really hope for your sake it's number 4, but it's more likely to be one or more of the others

But to give you an idea, even if it was a completely base model, with average miles for 4 years old, in good condition, it'd be worth about $10,000 more than you paid for it.

Edit- just saw your post with the pics- less than 24,000 miles. It's a salvage title, isn't it?

(if not you really ought be making the trip to the dealer because there's clearly quite a few things wrong with it, and it's 95% likely to still be under full warranty, but that % gets smaller daily due to being an 08)
Old 10-26-11, 07:11 PM
08lexus350
Driver

If i remember correctly it might be a reconstruced (R) title, but theres no evidence to the engine or frame that is visible, I'm pretty good with working on cars and understand a bit just never thought a is350 would have so much electronics. but ill call dealership tomorrow and see what they tell me.
Old 10-26-11, 07:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 08lexus350
If i remember correctly it might be a reconstruced (R) title, but theres no evidence to the engine or frame that is visible, I'm pretty good with working on cars and understand a bit just never thought a is350 would have so much electronics. but ill call dealership tomorrow and see what they tell me.
Yup... if it's been totaled the warranty is gone, entirely...which means the dealer is going to bend you over with no lube... and in PA a reconstructed title means it was a salvaged vehicle that was fixed up (though apparently not enough).

To be quite honest if I were you I'd part the thing out. You'll get more than you paid for it as Lexus parts are insanely expensive.

If you're determined to try and fix it yourself I suggest you try a 2-day subscription to TIS. It's what dealerships use. Has complete diagnostic steps, instructions, all wiring diagrams, part numbers, etc.... it's 15 bucks for 2 days access.

That, with a code scanner, will probably be enough to get some idea how bad it is at least and decide something from there.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/
Old 10-26-11, 07:21 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like Kurtz said, at this point everything's out of pocket for you, even the diagnostics at the dealer to tell you what's wrong. If I were you my first step would be to go to Autozone to get the codes read for free, on the miniscule off-chance it's something clear and straightforward. Only then would I head to the dealer, since because you have no warranty you'll have to pay for diagnostics, at least $120. Then once you have the information on what's wrong and how much it is, you can decide what to do with the car.

And yes, any luxury car of that year or newer will have an unfathomable amount of electronics.
Old 10-26-11, 07:30 PM
08lexus350
Driver

ok, my main problem is the power steering, because the other light might be as simple as the gas cap not on all the way as everyone is saying, but for the P/S i searched some other threads and guys are having the steering wheel go left to right crazy but mines not doing that its just not working so i think it might be something more simple, any way i can do myself and find out what could be wrong
Old 10-26-11, 08:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Like I said, pay the $15 for TIS for 2 days.

It'll tell you how to diagnose pretty much any problem on the vehicle.

Something like:

If this condition exists follow these steps to diagnose:

List of steps to narrow it down to the cause

You might eventually hit a point where you can't go further because you don't have access to a techstream (a $1000+ device dealers use) but you might just find the cause. Either way it's $15 versus an 80 mile trip to dealer and a minimum $120 diagnostic fee.
Old 10-27-11, 09:27 AM
08lexus350
Driver

just got a OBD II autoscanner from a buddy, ran the test and it came up PO102 code.,
misfire-ok
fuel system mon- ok
comp component- ok
catalyst mon- inc
Htd catalyst - n/a
Evap system mon- inc
sec air system- n/a
a/c refri mon-n/a
oxygen sens mon- inc
oxygen sen htr- n/a
ECR system mon- n/a

Quick Reply: Need some help i have couple lights on my dash