IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

O2 sensor warranty

Old 10-20-11, 06:15 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default O2 sensor warranty

Does anyone know how long these are covered? My CEL came on Wednesday with a P0420 code, and from doing some searching it appears that a bad oxygen sensor is a likely culprit. I'm at 5 years, 10 months, and 67,000 miles, and was curious to know whether they would be covered under either the powertrain or federal emissions warranty.
Old 10-20-11, 06:38 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

P0420 is for the bank 1 catalytic converter operating below threshold...has a 8 year/80,000 mile federal emissions warranty
Old 10-20-11, 07:14 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

I know that the catalytic converter is covered, but a P0420 can also be caused by an exhaust leak or bad O2 sensor, so my question was whether these were covered.
Old 10-20-11, 07:53 AM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd just call a local dealer and ask.

From Lexus' website, it looks like they're not covered by powertrain warranty:

Powertrain Warranty
The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Except for the situations listed on the Basic Warranty page, this warranty covers repairs needed to fix defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed below:

Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Transmission and Transaxle
Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Rear-Wheel Drive System
Differential carrier assembly, driveshaft, axle carrier, axle case, axle bearing, axle shaft, seals and gaskets

So if it's covered it would be under the Emissions warranty. Have you checked the warranty booklet in your car for the Emissions warranty info? I can't find it on their website.
Old 10-20-11, 07:57 AM
Maxximus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I know that the catalytic converter is covered, but a P0420 can also be caused by an exhaust leak or bad O2 sensor, so my question was whether these were covered.
don't think they're covered...mine was ripped off while driving in a snow storm 2 years ago. deal wanted 800 for it, car was brand new at the time. I knew the manager since he worked at another place so he carefully rewrote it as a warranty thing other I was screwed.
Old 10-20-11, 08:27 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by calvin2376
So if it's covered it would be under the Emissions warranty. Have you checked the warranty booklet in your car for the Emissions warranty info? I can't find it on their website.
Yeah, I finally threw in the towel and brought it in from the glove compartment.

Looks like a very limited number of items are marked as having 8/80 coverage like the ECM, the catalytic converters and the DLC connector. The rest appear to fall under the regular 4/50 coverage. So unless I'm missing something, it looks like I'm out of luck unless it's the cat.

Which leaves me in a quandary about how to proceed... Get an $80 O2 sensor from eBay and try that first, or bring it to the dealer and hope it's the cat...
Old 10-20-11, 09:22 AM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxximus
don't think they're covered...mine was ripped off while driving in a snow storm 2 years ago. deal wanted 800 for it, car was brand new at the time. I knew the manager since he worked at another place so he carefully rewrote it as a warranty thing other I was screwed.
Wanted $800 for what, just one 02 sensor?

Originally Posted by Bichon
Yeah, I finally threw in the towel and brought it in from the glove compartment.

Looks like a very limited number of items are marked as having 8/80 coverage like the ECM, the catalytic converters and the DLC connector. The rest appear to fall under the regular 4/50 coverage. So unless I'm missing something, it looks like I'm out of luck unless it's the cat.

Which leaves me in a quandary about how to proceed... Get an $80 O2 sensor from eBay and try that first, or bring it to the dealer and hope it's the cat...
Well if you take it to a dealer you're out $120 immediately just for diagnostics if it's not the cat. Can you take it to a local/independent shop to get it checked out for less? If they tell you it's the cat, you can take it to the dealer and know you'll pay nothing. If it's the O2 sensor, then you know you can DIY.

I was under the impression, perhaps false, that the emissions warranty covered issues that would cause you to fail an emissions test, and I would assume with your car throwing an O2 failure-related code, you wouldn't pass emissions. Maybe I'm completely wrong here, I just thought I read that in the manual.
Old 10-20-11, 09:36 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Might as well call your local Lexus dealer and ask if they will cover the O2 sesnor failuer under the Powertrain warranty.... It is part of the exhaust system & motor..

~ Joe Z
Old 10-20-11, 09:38 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Maxximus
Well yeah you were lucky...

If you break something in a snow storm or with road debris, that's really not considered a "part failure"..

~ Joe Z
Old 10-20-11, 09:49 AM
LDNN
Driver

Call the dealer and ask anyway, what have you got to lose, In fact call all dealers in your area, you my find one may agree to work with you.
Old 10-20-11, 10:18 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

I was under the impression, perhaps false, that the emissions warranty covered issues that would cause you to fail an emissions test, and I would assume with your car throwing an O2 failure-related code, you wouldn't pass emissions. Maybe I'm completely wrong here, I just thought I read that in the manual.
There are two parts to the federal emissions warranty, a performance warranty and a design and defects warranty. The former one is what you are recalling, but unfortunately that one is only mandated by the feds to run 2/24 ( http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt ), and in the case of Lexus it's extended to the same 4/50 duration as the bumper-to-bumper coverage.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Might as well call your local Lexus dealer and ask if they will cover the O2 sesnor failuer under the Powertrain warranty.... It is part of the exhaust system & motor..

~ Joe Z
Unfortunately the powertrain warranty, which Calvin posted earlier in the thread, only covers a limited set of components that doesn't include the exhaust system.

Originally Posted by LDNN
Call the dealer and ask anyway, what have you got to lose, In fact call all dealers in your area, you my find one may agree to work with you.
I may do this - perhaps I can get them to cover it as a good-will gesture.
Old 10-20-11, 10:23 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Call first...if they dont cover that...then get the O2 sensor for $80 would be your best bet
Old 10-20-11, 11:51 AM
Maxximus
Driver

Wanted $800 for what, just one 02 sensor?

I wanna say the sensor was 400ish and then the rest was labor. I basically did the WTF rant to the guy and told him I was leaving. Got the usual, we're not responsible for anything that happens after you leave story. When the service manager came in the next day I called him up and told him the situation. They fixed it a few days later. This is also a deal gave my car to someone else "by mistake" when I went in for a recall, so who knows wth is going on over there.

Joe, I was literally stuck in a snow storm. Being in NJ, the counties don't like to plow roads until after 6am when they don't have to pay for OT to their road crews. There was probably 3" or more of snow on the highway, was also the last time I ended up driving in the snow with that car.
Old 10-20-11, 12:41 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know this is not my thread and I really dont mean to hijack but now that were on the subject (and to spare a new thread)

My CEL/VSC/TRAC control all lit up like a christmas tree the other day..
ran the scanner... cant remember the EXACT code but I remember it reading

something regarding the MAF and...
rich bank1
rich bank4

I apologize for the vague information I can try and scan it again tomorrow.. I hate to think its my intake.. this is the 3rd intake I go through
Old 10-20-11, 01:59 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Time to clean your MAF sensor..

With:

~ Joe Z

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O2 sensor warranty