O2 sensor warranty - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

O2 sensor warranty

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-11, 06:15 AM   #1
Bichon
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Bichon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,639
Default O2 sensor warranty

Does anyone know how long these are covered? My CEL came on Wednesday with a P0420 code, and from doing some searching it appears that a bad oxygen sensor is a likely culprit. I'm at 5 years, 10 months, and 67,000 miles, and was curious to know whether they would be covered under either the powertrain or federal emissions warranty.
Bichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 06:38 AM   #2
quick123
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (2)
 
quick123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 1,361
Default

P0420 is for the bank 1 catalytic converter operating below threshold...has a 8 year/80,000 mile federal emissions warranty
quick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 07:14 AM   #3
Bichon
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Bichon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,639
Default

I know that the catalytic converter is covered, but a P0420 can also be caused by an exhaust leak or bad O2 sensor, so my question was whether these were covered.
Bichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 07:53 AM   #4
calvin2376
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
calvin2376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MD
Posts: 1,687
Default

I'd just call a local dealer and ask.

From Lexus' website, it looks like they're not covered by powertrain warranty:

Powertrain Warranty
The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Except for the situations listed on the Basic Warranty page, this warranty covers repairs needed to fix defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed below:

Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Transmission and Transaxle
Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Rear-Wheel Drive System
Differential carrier assembly, driveshaft, axle carrier, axle case, axle bearing, axle shaft, seals and gaskets


So if it's covered it would be under the Emissions warranty. Have you checked the warranty booklet in your car for the Emissions warranty info? I can't find it on their website.
calvin2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 07:57 AM   #5
Maxximus
Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichon View Post
I know that the catalytic converter is covered, but a P0420 can also be caused by an exhaust leak or bad O2 sensor, so my question was whether these were covered.
don't think they're covered...mine was ripped off while driving in a snow storm 2 years ago. deal wanted 800 for it, car was brand new at the time. I knew the manager since he worked at another place so he carefully rewrote it as a warranty thing other I was screwed.
Maxximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 08:27 AM   #6
Bichon
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Bichon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin2376 View Post
So if it's covered it would be under the Emissions warranty. Have you checked the warranty booklet in your car for the Emissions warranty info? I can't find it on their website.
Yeah, I finally threw in the towel and brought it in from the glove compartment.

Looks like a very limited number of items are marked as having 8/80 coverage like the ECM, the catalytic converters and the DLC connector. The rest appear to fall under the regular 4/50 coverage. So unless I'm missing something, it looks like I'm out of luck unless it's the cat.

Which leaves me in a quandary about how to proceed... Get an $80 O2 sensor from eBay and try that first, or bring it to the dealer and hope it's the cat...
Bichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 09:22 AM   #7
calvin2376
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
calvin2376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MD
Posts: 1,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximus View Post
don't think they're covered...mine was ripped off while driving in a snow storm 2 years ago. deal wanted 800 for it, car was brand new at the time. I knew the manager since he worked at another place so he carefully rewrote it as a warranty thing other I was screwed.
Wanted $800 for what, just one 02 sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichon View Post
Yeah, I finally threw in the towel and brought it in from the glove compartment.

Looks like a very limited number of items are marked as having 8/80 coverage like the ECM, the catalytic converters and the DLC connector. The rest appear to fall under the regular 4/50 coverage. So unless I'm missing something, it looks like I'm out of luck unless it's the cat.

Which leaves me in a quandary about how to proceed... Get an $80 O2 sensor from eBay and try that first, or bring it to the dealer and hope it's the cat...
Well if you take it to a dealer you're out $120 immediately just for diagnostics if it's not the cat. Can you take it to a local/independent shop to get it checked out for less? If they tell you it's the cat, you can take it to the dealer and know you'll pay nothing. If it's the O2 sensor, then you know you can DIY.

I was under the impression, perhaps false, that the emissions warranty covered issues that would cause you to fail an emissions test, and I would assume with your car throwing an O2 failure-related code, you wouldn't pass emissions. Maybe I'm completely wrong here, I just thought I read that in the manual.
calvin2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 09:36 AM   #8
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Under an IS F since 2008
Posts: 12,079
Default

Might as well call your local Lexus dealer and ask if they will cover the O2 sesnor failuer under the Powertrain warranty.... It is part of the exhaust system & motor..

~ Joe Z
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 09:38 AM   #9
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Under an IS F since 2008
Posts: 12,079
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximus View Post
don't think they're covered...mine was ripped off while driving in a snow storm 2 years ago. deal wanted 800 for it, car was brand new at the time. I knew the manager since he worked at another place so he carefully rewrote it as a warranty thing other I was screwed.
Well yeah you were lucky...

If you break something in a snow storm or with road debris, that's really not considered a "part failure"..

~ Joe Z
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 09:49 AM   #10
LDNN
Driver
 
LDNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 186
Default

Call the dealer and ask anyway, what have you got to lose, In fact call all dealers in your area, you my find one may agree to work with you.
LDNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 10:18 AM   #11
Bichon
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Bichon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin2376 View Post
I was under the impression, perhaps false, that the emissions warranty covered issues that would cause you to fail an emissions test, and I would assume with your car throwing an O2 failure-related code, you wouldn't pass emissions. Maybe I'm completely wrong here, I just thought I read that in the manual.
There are two parts to the federal emissions warranty, a performance warranty and a design and defects warranty. The former one is what you are recalling, but unfortunately that one is only mandated by the feds to run 2/24 ( http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt ), and in the case of Lexus it's extended to the same 4/50 duration as the bumper-to-bumper coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Might as well call your local Lexus dealer and ask if they will cover the O2 sesnor failuer under the Powertrain warranty.... It is part of the exhaust system & motor..

~ Joe Z
Unfortunately the powertrain warranty, which Calvin posted earlier in the thread, only covers a limited set of components that doesn't include the exhaust system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDNN View Post
Call the dealer and ask anyway, what have you got to lose, In fact call all dealers in your area, you my find one may agree to work with you.
I may do this - perhaps I can get them to cover it as a good-will gesture.
Bichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 10:23 AM   #12
kickin8
2IS/2RX
iTrader: (1)
 
kickin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,733
Default

Call first...if they dont cover that...then get the O2 sensor for $80 would be your best bet
kickin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 11:51 AM   #13
Maxximus
Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin2376 View Post
Wanted $800 for what, just one 02 sensor?

I wanna say the sensor was 400ish and then the rest was labor. I basically did the WTF rant to the guy and told him I was leaving. Got the usual, we're not responsible for anything that happens after you leave story. When the service manager came in the next day I called him up and told him the situation. They fixed it a few days later. This is also a deal gave my car to someone else "by mistake" when I went in for a recall, so who knows wth is going on over there.


Joe, I was literally stuck in a snow storm. Being in NJ, the counties don't like to plow roads until after 6am when they don't have to pay for OT to their road crews. There was probably 3" or more of snow on the highway, was also the last time I ended up driving in the snow with that car.
Maxximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 12:41 PM   #14
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoFla
Posts: 4,265
Default

i know this is not my thread and I really dont mean to hijack but now that were on the subject (and to spare a new thread)

My CEL/VSC/TRAC control all lit up like a christmas tree the other day..
ran the scanner... cant remember the EXACT code but I remember it reading

something regarding the MAF and...
rich bank1
rich bank4

I apologize for the vague information I can try and scan it again tomorrow.. I hate to think its my intake.. this is the 3rd intake I go through
Vroomin350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 01:59 PM   #15
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Under an IS F since 2008
Posts: 12,079
Default

^^ Time to clean your MAF sensor..

With:




~ Joe Z
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaking shocks covered under cpo warranty? slclumberj RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) 6 03-08-15 06:51 AM
HeadLight Leveling Sensors needed.Where do I buy besides Dealership? rclab1 SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010) 9 01-24-10 06:13 PM
Warranty Question (TPMS) maying856 GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) 4 01-07-09 09:27 PM
tire warranty?? kidluvsole IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 6 01-19-08 09:22 AM
mass airflow sensor covered in emissions or powertrain warranty? drsaab1 ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) 3 02-11-06 09:37 PM


Tags
2007, 2008, 22federalemissionswarranty22andhybridandparts, 350, catalytic, converters, coverage, covered, emission, emissions, federal, isf, lexus, oxygen, rx, sensor, warranty

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved