IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My new 2011 IS 250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 09:56 AM
Daisy81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new 2011 IS 250 AWD

I bought this vehicle last Wednesday evening. With the options it has I got it for a really good deal because of the end of model year sales. I'm really happy with the clear bra being so transparent and difficult to see. I hope it stays that way. I traded up from my 2010 Honda FIt Sport. That car had the worst paint job. It flaked and chipped off all over the hood. It to the point where I think I had more touch up opaint on the hood then orginal paint.

Coming from my previous cars a 2002 Honda Civic Coupe and a 2010 Honda Fit Sport this IS 250 AWD is fast. I had thought about getting the IS 350 AWD but when I factored in the increaded insurance, taxes,and just the extra cost between the models I opted for the fully loaded 250 rather then the big engine with just the base options.

It's got the fancy head lights with the LED and the main ones that turn. I aplogize I don't know the technical name for them off the bat but they make night driving much easier in terms of being able to see.

One of my favorite features is the way it streams my music from my Epic 4g over bluetooth to the stereo. It's much nicer then the Fit Sport's sound system which wouldn't even recongnize my android phone to play the music over USB which was a major disapointment. Honda, not everyone buys into the iOS devices.

I'll get some more pictures including the interrior a little later but for now here are some photos of it that I do have.
Attached Thumbnails My new 2011 IS 250 AWD-carfront.jpg   My new 2011 IS 250 AWD-carfrontangled.jpg   My new 2011 IS 250 AWD-carbackangled.jpg  
Old 10-19-11, 10:03 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it me or does it look like the car has a lot of positive camber?

BTW congrats on the car, you'll love the color it will look clean even when is dirty .
Old 10-19-11, 10:06 AM
PetesSweet
Pole Position

+1 good choice, I find my 08 IS250 AWD to be peppier than my '00 Lincoln LS V8
Old 10-19-11, 10:28 AM
Daisy81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by B16da9
Is it me or does it look like the car has a lot of [b]positive camber[b]?

BTW congrats on the car, you'll love the color it will look clean even when is dirty .
I sure hope it doesn't. It might just be the angle of the shot and the fact that the photo is not the highest of quality.

PetesSweet, Is the peppyness a illusion or the vehicle actually that peppy? Because it doesn't seem like the IS is that slow. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm used to using the paddle shifters on the Fit and do the same thing with the IS but the car launches wicked fast especially when I'm stuck behind someone and get the RPMS up in advance so I can shoot off once I can shift lanes with room to pull in front.

I think a lot of the complaints about speed should be directed against the automatic transmission in general rather then the smaller engine.
Old 10-19-11, 10:51 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The camber looks alright. Notice the wheel at the top is in the wheel well while the bottom is out. Just in case, you would probably want to have a dedicated alignment done because the factory alignment is probably off. Could of gotten out of whack during transport. I had mine done when I got my car new and it was out from the factory.

You must be referring bout HID lights which help you see better at night. It doesn't have AFS (as of 2011+ cars) so they do not turn.
Old 10-19-11, 11:10 AM
Daisy81
Driver School Candidate

That is a good point. I'll make a point of calling and asking them to do a alignment of the wheels. You know what might make it look like the car has posative camber in the wheels is the fact that the body in the wheel well comes further out at the top of the wheel well and tapers in as it goes down to the bottom of the car.

Hmm maybe I misunderstood the sales person but I could have sworn she said that the head lights of the HID with LED DRL adjusted to go around the corners as you go through turns. Maybe it acomplishes it some other way or not but the lighting is noticeably better with the option.
Old 10-19-11, 11:22 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

definitely an upgrade from a Honda. congrats on the new ride!
Old 10-19-11, 11:23 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sango
The camber looks alright. Notice the wheel at the top is in the wheel well while the bottom is out. Just in case, you would probably want to have a dedicated alignment done because the factory alignment is probably off. Could of gotten out of whack during transport. I had mine done when I got my car new and it was out from the factory.

You must be referring bout HID lights which help you see better at night. It doesn't have AFS (as of 2011+ cars) so they do not turn.

you mean they took the AFS function off in the 2011+ models? in another words all the LED headlights has no AFS?
Old 10-19-11, 11:32 AM
Daisy81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rookieIS
[/B]
definitely an upgrade from a Honda. congrats on the new ride!

you mean they took the AFS function off in the 2011+ models? in another words all the LED headlights has no AFS?
Oh yes it's majorly nicer then the Honda FIt in every way except storage and fuel economy but I knew that going in.

According to the Lexus web site the HID lights have a auto leveling system. I see no reason why they would have that in the 2010 and the 2012 but remove it for 2011. I'm fairly certain my car has it.
Old 10-19-11, 11:51 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on purchase, welcome to CL...
Old 10-19-11, 12:14 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rookieIS
[/B]

2011's don't have AFS at all. Not even an option. I'd give up AFS for those sweet LED's tho
Old 10-19-11, 12:24 PM
Daisy81
Driver School Candidate

What is the difference between what Lexus is calling the Auto Leveling System and AFS?
Old 10-19-11, 12:58 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

AFS and Auto Leveing are two different things. The Auto Leveling System is built in to the HID. Bascially sets it to the correct position everytime you start the car. You will notice this when you start the car as the HID's move down and up.

AFS is the feature which made the lights turn as your car turned, which is no longer present in the 2011+ cars. It's not really a big deal, it's more like an extra feature, considering I drove a 95 Corolla and 99 Solara Camry which did not have these! You can't add AFS in because the components and electronics for it isn't there unlike the 2010 cars and earlier which have them did (Auto Level + AFS).

Last edited by Sango; 10-19-11 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-19-11, 02:27 PM
omgitsjoe
Pole Position

Congratulations and Welcome to CL
Old 10-19-11, 07:22 PM
Daisy81
Driver School Candidate

Here is a side shot. God I love the profile. This car is so sexy. I still can't believe my insurance only went up by $42 for 6 months between the Fit and the IS 250.

It's been raining here .... again. I have noticed that the IS handles a lot better than my Honda Fit did in the rain. I used to have to deal with a lot of tire spin in the Fit but there is absolutly none of it in the IS. I don't know if it's the new tires or the AWD but it's nice.
Attached Thumbnails My new 2011 IS 250 AWD-2011-10-19-19.55.22.jpg  

Quick Reply: My new 2011 IS 250 AWD