Low Engine Oil Level Light...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-11, 09:24 PM
azncaboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Engine Oil Level Light...

Hi All,

Sorry I am a newbie. The "Low Engine Oil Level" indicator goes on for about a min and turns off while I am driving recently. I checked the Oil Level and there is enough oil in there. Anyone know what the problem might be? Maybe the sensors are faulty? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 10-09-11, 09:56 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U might have front cover leak due to TSB or maybe oil leak underneat... CHECK underneat or pop hood open and look at front cover
Old 10-09-11, 10:06 PM
cdtran2
Rookie

When was the last time you did an oil change? Mine started doing that too at around 6k after my oil change. Dealership changed my oil during my 60k service and the light hasn't come back since.
Old 10-09-11, 10:48 PM
brettno1
Rookie

If it comes on everytime you start the car and then goes off about a minute later, then it's telling you it's time for an oil change. This will happen every 5000 miles, and can easily be reset after the oil change. (this is assuming your oil level is full)
Old 10-10-11, 06:07 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brettno1
If it comes on everytime you start the car and then goes off about a minute later, then it's telling you it's time for an oil change. This will happen every 5000 miles, and can easily be reset after the oil change. (this is assuming your oil level is full)
No, no, no.... that's a completely different thing.

Every 5k it tells you service is required. And it stays on until you reset it.

The OP has a low oil level light, which isn't the same message at all and then it turns off.

to the OP- Are you checking your oil level correctly? (the manual explains the process- insuring you're on level ground, cold engine, etc...). If so, and it's correct every time, then it might be a flaky sensor I suppose... got any warranty left?
Old 10-10-11, 08:20 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the oil light comming on or flickering at all or are you only getting the message on the info screen on the cluster?
Old 10-10-11, 09:05 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same thing happen to me this summer... "Low oil level" came on briefly then turned off while I was driving. Checked engine oil level and it was fine but I changed it out anyways. That seemed to solve the problem its been 2k miles and it has not come back on. I checked for leacks and couldn't find any either so I just left because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 10-10-11, 09:23 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an oil change is in store for your Lexus. When is the last time you changed it?
Old 10-10-11, 10:23 AM
azncaboy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the response. It only had 3500 miles after the previous oil change. Took it to the dealer to get it service today. It sounds like they did not top off the oil last time and it was low on engine oil. Nervous about bringing it back to the dealer to get oil changes next time...
Old 10-10-11, 10:26 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

3 letters for you my friend, DIY... Reseting the Oil Maintenance Req'd light is simple.
Old 10-10-11, 10:56 AM
brettno1
Rookie

Originally Posted by azncaboy
Thanks everyone for the response. It only had 3500 miles after the previous oil change. Took it to the dealer to get it service today. It sounds like they did not top off the oil last time and it was low on engine oil. Nervous about bringing it back to the dealer to get oil changes next time...
Next time you bring it in for an oil change, remind them of this experience. Hopefully it will keep them on their toes. I dont know how mechanically inclined you are, but changing the oil and filter is a relatively easy job. There are a lot of threads on this board about how to do it.
Old 10-10-11, 08:43 PM
06pearlex
Rookie

its sound like the oil pump its going out ...
Old 10-10-11, 08:48 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

how many miles are on your car? my old honda accord's engine light comes on when my car hits 100k miles, not sure bout the Lexus if it's the same.
Old 10-10-11, 09:00 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 06pearlex
+1 it happen to my scion tC. Low level oil warning indicator light was flashing first and a month later it stay on. Bring it to dealer and they dropped in new engine ( under warranty) due to oil pump failure causing knocking engine.
Old 10-10-11, 09:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by 06pearlex
Really? How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Originally Posted by whitebeast
+1 it happen to my scion tC. Low level oil warning indicator light was flashing first and a month later it stay on. Bring it to dealer and they dropped in new engine ( under warranty) due to oil pump failure causing knocking engine.
You're serious? Do you really think the oil pump was the problem? If the LEVEL light comes on, you don't have enough oil in the sump. This isn't a huge deal unless you're an idiot and fail to address the problem by adding oil. This is why the light exists.

If the PRESSURE light comes on, you have an oil pump or crank bearing problem. You didn't burn up your engine because the LEVEL was low, you burned it up because the LOW PRESSURE light was on - unless you saw the light an continued to do nothing to solve the low oil level problem.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-10-11 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Low Engine Oil Level Light...