IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

(File a Complaint) IS350 Navigation Broken / Touchscreen not responding Safety Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 12:08 PM
NathanH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down (File a Complaint) IS350 Navigation Broken / Touchscreen not responding Safety Issue

Yes, many have already posted the same topic as this is a very common and frustating problem that Lexus should fix it for free. I am new here and thanks this site and below member to post the link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-nav-fix.html

After wasting many days communicating with lexus, they only offered to covered half of the cost, which is not fair for myself and many others having the same problem.

I just want to share this topic that I will be esclating this issue to the management level as this became a possible safety issue, distracting while driving...etc.

Please file your complaint at:
www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems
www.bbb.org
www.complaintboard.com
www.consumeraffairs.com

Attorney General
www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/complaint.htm

Please share with me if there's any others are proceeding the same direction.
Old 09-29-11, 12:14 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Let's see.
You're out of basic warranty and don't have an extended warranty.
Yet Lexus says they'll pay half the repair.
I think that's fair.Lexus doesn't have to pay anything.
Old 09-29-11, 12:18 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

You're lucky enough that lexus paid half repair cost for you. Many of them have to paid full price for repair or fix it themselves.
Old 09-29-11, 12:34 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

You're being unreasonable
Old 09-29-11, 12:41 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can guarantee you that even if any complaint you file is investigated and acted upon by any of the above agencies, by the time they make Lexus act or send you a penny, you will have sold your car.

I'm speaking from experience. My last car was a 2003 E55 AMG which required about $15,000 in repairs in 6 months, the most serious of which being leaking of gasoline into the cabin through the top of the fuel sending units. There was a recall for this matter, but it didn't fix the issue and owners had it recur. It was truly a safety issue, as pooling gasoline in the bottom of your car creates a bit of a fire hazard. I filed a complaint with everyone I possibly could, including those you listed above. It wasn't until a year later (and after I sold the car), that I heard from someone at NHTSA, and even then it was just to ask for some more information. I've emailed him several times over the past year and he's never gotten back to me.

I respect that you're upset about an issue with your car that happens to more than a handful (but importantly, nowhere near the majority) of owners. However, you have to realize that:

1) Every model of car will have issues that are common to it. Some will be more serious than others, some will be more expensive than others, and some will happen to a larger percentage of owners than others. Do your research before buying any car, used or new. If you'd done a quick search on CL or checked the Buyer's Guide thread, you'd have seen the nav issue called out clear as day. If you do your research and find a particular model of car you like has known issues, you have lots of options. Buy the car and hope it doesn't happen. Buy the car and buy a warranty. Or simply don't buy the car.

2) Nothing you're doing here will garner you anything positive in any measurable period of time, particularly because your complaint (despite what you're trying to claim) is in no way, shape or form a safety issue as the above agencies would define it. Safety issues are things like leaking gasoline, or engines catching fire. Not "I can't find my way to the grocery store". These safety issues are given priority over any other complaint, and sometimes non-safety complaints are ignored entirely. I can absolutely promise you the NHTSA will NOT open an investigation into failed nav screens on the Lexus IS. There are simply too many more pressing, truly safety-related issues they must investigate. Keep in mind my E55 was rapidly turning itself into a gasoline bomb and it still took NHTSA a YEAR to even look into it.

Your only hope for getting this resolved satisfactorily will be through working with your dealer and Lexus corporate. You'll have to be persistent and you'll have to argue your case to them. You can even use the threat of filing complaints with the above agencies and threads showing similar issues as ammunition.

However even then, I forecast no better outcome than the one you have already. Lexus paying half the cost is already far more than many other 2IS owners have received for this repair.

I truly wish you get this issue resolved and do not have to pay anything for this result of poor choice of electronics on Lexus' part. But do understand that regardless of what outcome you achieve, you're not entitled to anything from Lexus. You bought a used car without a warranty. A non-essential electronics components failed, in no way affecting the operational safety of the vehicle. This is unfortunate, but not the start of WWIII. In fact it happens to people every day.

I hope this is the last in your series of endless "My nav failed, Lexus sucks" posts on every thread you can find.

Last edited by calvin2376; 09-29-11 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 12:46 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I can guarantee you that even if any complaint you file is investigated and acted upon by any of the above agencies, by the time they make Lexus act or send you a penny, you will have sold your car.

I'm speaking from experience. My last car was a 2003 E55 AMG which required about $15,000 in repairs in 6 months, the most serious of which being leaking of gasoline into the cabin through the top of the fuel sending units. There was a recall for this matter, but it didn't fix the issue and owners had it recur. It was truly a safety issue, as pooling gasoline in the bottom of your car creates a bit of a fire hazard. I filed a complaint with everyone I possibly could, including those you listed above. It wasn't until a year later (and after I sold the car), that I heard from someone at NHTSA, and even then it was just to ask for some more information. I've emailed him several times over the past year and he's never gotten back to me.

I respect that you're upset about an issue with your car that happens to more than a handful (but importantly, nowhere near the majority) of owners. However, you have to realize that:

1) Every model of car will have issues that are common to it. Some will be more serious than others, some will be more expensive than others, and some will happen to a larger percentage of owners than others. Do your research before buying any car, used or new. If you'd done a quick search on CL or checked the Buyer's Guide thread, you'd have seen the nav issue called out clear as day. If you do your research and find a particular model of car you like has known issues, you have lots of options. Buy the car and hope it doesn't happen. Buy the car and buy a warranty. Or simply don't buy the car.

2) Nothing you're doing here will garner you anything positive in any measurable period of time, particularly because your complaint (despite what you're trying to claim) is in no way, shape or form a safety issue as the above agencies would define it. Safety issues are things like leaking gasoline, or engines catching fire. Not "I can't find my way to the grocery store". These safety issues are given priority over any other complaint, and sometimes non-safety complaints are ignored entirely. I can absolutely promise you the NHTSA will NOT open an investigation into failed nav screens on the Lexus IS. There are simply too many more pressing, truly safety-related issues they must investigate. Keep in mind my E55 was rapidly turning itself into a gasoline bomb and it still took NHTSA a YEAR to even look into it.

Your only hope for getting this resolved satisfactorily will be through working with your dealer and Lexus corporate. You'll have to be persistent and you'll have to argue your case to them. You can even use the threat of filing complaints with the above agencies and threads showing similar issues as ammunition.

However even then, I forecast no better outcome than the one you have already. Lexus paying half the cost is already far more than many other 2IS owners have received for this repair.

I truly wish you get this issue resolved and do not have to pay anything for this result of poor choice of electronics on Lexus' part. But do understand that you're not entitled to anything from Lexus. You bought a used car without a warranty. A non-essential electronics components failed, in no way affecting the driveability of the car. This is unfortunate, but not the start of WWIII.

I hope this is the last in your series of endless "My nav failed, Lexus sucks" posts on every thread you can find.
Only 6 or 7 posts.

Great post.
Old 09-29-11, 12:55 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

How is this a safety issue--you know it is busted, don't use it while driving? Things on cars break, you are being unreasonable.

This is a luxury item, Navigation is by no means a safety issue.
Old 09-29-11, 01:15 PM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I see where your coming from.... I DO...
but out of warrenty means that Lexus is not responsible for your troubles.

NOW.... I dont see how a "Lexus" should have SO MANY of these units that fail... look at Microsoft they spent MILLIONS of dollars to repair everyones XBOX multiple times in some cases to save their name.
IMO - Your only option is to no longer spend your money on Lexus products.

NEXT Safety recall? Not a chance......
We would be better off reporting the common problem of the Airbag Light staying on and rendering your airbag system useless. That can kill people.

THAT is a problem that should be fixed wither IN OR OUT of warrenty.
Old 09-29-11, 01:19 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is bull s h i t tho, mine just stopped working
Old 09-29-11, 01:51 PM
NathanH
Driver School Candidate

let me see how many owners of broken navigation agree and Lexus did an outstanding job on standing behide their products. Especially to those whose warranty just expired or little over like mine........I bet the one who said I am not reasonable because 1) never happened to them 2) lexus covered it 3) they don't even own one.
Old 09-29-11, 01:53 PM
NathanH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RAMAIR
Honestly, I see where your coming from.... I DO...
but out of warrenty means that Lexus is not responsible for your troubles.

NOW.... I dont see how a "Lexus" should have SO MANY of these units that fail... look at Microsoft they spent MILLIONS of dollars to repair everyones XBOX multiple times in some cases to save their name.
IMO - Your only option is to no longer spend your money on Lexus products.

NEXT Safety recall? Not a chance......
We would be better off reporting the common problem of the Airbag Light staying on and rendering your airbag system useless. That can kill people.

THAT is a problem that should be fixed wither IN OR OUT of warrenty.

HAHAHAH Sure, when is the next recall? lol lexus
Old 09-29-11, 02:04 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NathanH
let me see how many owners of broken navigation agree and Lexus did an outstanding job on standing behide their products. Especially to those whose warranty just expired or little over like mine........I bet the one who said I am not reasonable because 1) never happened to them 2) lexus covered it 3) they don't even own one.
I wouldn't have your problem.
If I keep my IS longer than the 4/50,I would definitely buy an discounted Lexus extended warranty from Troy Dietrich or some other source.
Too many things can go wrong.Especially with a high optioned expensive vehicle.
Another thing I wouldn't do is whine about it on thread after thread.
Old 09-29-11, 02:25 PM
NathanH
Driver School Candidate

and that's the reason why you're not frustrated. Wonder what else you're being benefit from lexus hahahah
Old 09-29-11, 02:46 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NathanH
and that's the reason why you're not frustrated. Wonder what else you're being benefit from lexus hahahah
and I wouldn't be frustrated in your case because it would be covered under warranty.
Lexus is offering to pay half the cost which they don't have to do.
Get it fixed and move on.Might be the best thing to do at this point.
Old 09-29-11, 03:16 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your snarky retorts throughout this thread make it clear you're not interested in a discussion or what's right/wrong, you're bitter about a problem you're having and that's the end of it. I tried to give perspective on your approach as someone who's been down this road before, yet you refuse to provide a reasoned response not only to me but anyone on this thread.

Good luck with your plight.

Quick Reply: (File a Complaint) IS350 Navigation Broken / Touchscreen not responding Safety Issue