IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Modded 335 vs IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 02:38 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't lost to a 335 from 0. I raced a couple different 335 on the track with mods such as JB, DP, intake, catback. They were making about 360WHP and I would take them every time. They usually have trouble hooking since they aren't running DR.

On a roll, it is a different story. I probably got beat 1 car length from 30-100 by my friends 335 with all bolts on.
Old 09-30-11, 03:24 PM
mwernerps2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JCL2986
You bought a 2009 335i with 147k! People thought I was crazy when I bought a 2006 TL with 142k and sold it with 149k trouble free miles. Let us know any issues that arise.
Nooooo I sold mine :-) Bought it with 31 miles on it and drove the sheet out of it.
Old 09-30-11, 03:32 PM
mwernerps2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I haven't lost to a 335 from 0. I raced a couple different 335 on the track with mods such as JB, DP, intake, catback. They were making about 360WHP and I would take them every time. They usually have trouble hooking since they aren't running DR.

On a roll, it is a different story. I probably got beat 1 car length from 30-100 by my friends 335 with all bolts on.
Did you install a ISF engine or do they really suck that bad at starts. 335 JB does 0-60 in about 4.2 sec...
Old 09-30-11, 03:41 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mwernerps2
Did you install a ISF engine or do they really suck that bad at starts. 335 JB does 0-60 in about 4.2 sec...
And a IS350 does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41UMP335BY
Old 09-30-11, 04:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

10 char
Old 09-30-11, 05:29 PM
JCL2986
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice, what mods do you have to run a 13.1?
Old 10-01-11, 12:01 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JCL2986
Nice, what mods do you have to run a 13.1?
http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus-IS350...lip-21998.html

I am running 19s. Not very suitable for the track. 18 or 17 inch will easily bring me to the upper 12s.
Old 10-01-11, 01:46 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41UMP335BY
he was going down hill..
Old 10-01-11, 06:34 AM
getfunky
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those 335i drivers must have sucked *** at driving...
Old 10-01-11, 09:31 AM
JACKPAC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by calvin2376
What does this mean, out of curiosity?
I think they can tell if a car has been modded even if you wipe the computer/ put it into trick the dealer mode because they can count how many key turns the car has gone through since the computer was wiped. So if you come in with a blown engine and their readout says the car has only been started 5 times in 3 years. They will void your warranty.
Old 10-01-11, 09:33 AM
JACKPAC
Driver School Candidate

It was nice of them to warranty the HPFP for 10 years, but if you mod the car (which is why I would buy one) then they will void you anyway.
Old 10-01-11, 10:28 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JACKPAC
I think they can tell if a car has been modded even if you wipe the computer/ put it into trick the dealer mode because they can count how many key turns the car has gone through since the computer was wiped. So if you come in with a blown engine and their readout says the car has only been started 5 times in 3 years. They will void your warranty.
What I'd like to know more about though is this "voiding the warranty" business. BMW can't just "void" your entire factory warranty if you mod your car; the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents that:

"No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused."

What the above says in simple terms is what many people on CL already know; basically, a car manufacturer can't refuse to warranty your car just because you've modded it or used aftermarket parts. They'd have to show that the damage was caused by these aftermarket parts in full or in part.

So if you chipped a 335i, your factory BMW warranty wouldn't just disappear. It would still apply in full except to any failures or damage that could be tied to your chipping of the car. So something engine-related might be denied coverage if you chipped your car, but a tie rod or seat adjustment motor failure couldn't be tied to chipping a car.

That's why I asked the original question of itruns, who mentioned BMW had many "tricks/black boxes" to void the warranty on modded 335is. As stated above, they can't just blanket void a warranty because you've modded your car, so I'd be interested in hearing how they actually treat customers who've chipped or highly modified their cars.
Old 10-01-11, 10:55 AM
JACKPAC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by calvin2376
What I'd like to know more about though is this "voiding the warranty" business. BMW can't just "void" your entire factory warranty if you mod your car; the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents that:

"No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused."

What the above says in simple terms is what many people on CL already know; basically, a car manufacturer can't refuse to warranty your car just because you've modded it or used aftermarket parts. They'd have to show that the damage was caused by these aftermarket parts in full or in part.

So if you chipped a 335i, your factory BMW warranty wouldn't just disappear. It would still apply in full except to any failures or damage that could be tied to your chipping of the car. So something engine-related might be denied coverage if you chipped your car, but a tie rod or seat adjustment motor failure couldn't be tied to chipping a car.

That's why I asked the original question of itruns, who mentioned BMW had many "tricks/black boxes" to void the warranty on modded 335is. As stated above, they can't just blanket void a warranty because you've modded your car, so I'd be interested in hearing how they actually treat customers who've chipped or highly modified their cars.
The MM act is all well and true, but after your HPFP dies or your turbos need rebuilding the first thing BMW is going to do is to void your warranty and blame the mods. Then you will have to spend the time and money to litigate. A year later you'll either have your car fixed under warranty but with attorney bills, or you'll lose and still have attorney bills.

In the end it's only worth fighting on principle.
Old 10-01-11, 11:24 AM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by syzygy
Yeah, this is what a slightly modded IS350 vs a slightly modded E39 M5 looks like -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65HZxyZ0xs

Be sure you have traction control disabled if you want optimal performance from 0, of course.

Here's an IS350 vs an E39 M5 from a 25 MPH roll -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlLClhWC3cM

Notice the IS350 still wins, but not by as much. The huge lead in the first video is almost entirely due to the early lead the IS350 gains through 1st gear (0 to 40).
hahah huh i got bald tires.
hahahahah
Old 10-01-11, 04:30 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by starknight
i have three friends who lemoned their 335i with the same lawyer! lol
3 of my friends lemoned theirs with out lawers! 2/3 got another 335

My buddy has an intake and exhaust, as did I. First race his RT sucked, second race I got a perfect reaction at .50x and he faulted at .4xx. I purposely did not look at the tree(red yellow green light that starts the race). Instead, once I staged, I looked over at him and waited for him to start so no matter what his RT was, it could not be an excuse. EVERYONE on his forum and mine blamed the murder in the first race on his RT, and that was the ONLY reason I won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWBihKTTEe4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU96mXmQXMw

Last edited by MiiK350; 10-01-11 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Modded 335 vs IS350