IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Selling my IS 350, is the price too high?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 12:59 PM
tjschraf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling my IS 350, is the price too high?

This is my ad on craigslist, I posted 2 days ago... I have not heard anything yet and am wondering if it is priced too high or if it just because I am in michigan and not many people are seeking out IS 350's here. Should I try a site like cars or autotrader? My is 300 sold immediately, so I am not used to this.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/2653330197.html

Forget about the son part, I do not have a son I am only 21 but I needed something to say for why it was posted months ago when I didn't respond to people.
Old 10-18-11, 01:06 PM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the description is pretty bad and when someone shows up to buy it and sees you are 21 how are you going to explain the son going to college? It will just look like you are trying to hide something and not honest. I would put it on autotrader or cars.com and offer a carfax report which you can do via the website.
Old 10-18-11, 01:16 PM
tjschraf
Driver

I figured that since I do go away to college and the car is at my house, it all makes sense. But, thank you I will consider a different site if I don't get anything in the next couple days.
Old 10-18-11, 01:56 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lying is never good. How are similar cars in your area priced. People are naturally gravitate towards the cheaper item for sale
Old 10-18-11, 02:11 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iRock
Lying is never good. How are similar cars in your area priced. People are naturally gravitate towards the cheaper item for sale
x2 and if your car has the higher edge (i.e. lower miles, new tires, new brakes etc) you can put the price a little higher than that competitive one. Making a list instead of a long paragraph helps as well. When you post an ad, its kind of like writing a resume for an interview. People like to look at keywords like Clean title, NEW brake pads, NEW tires, history of maintenance if you have it, say you have receipts if you kept any. Like the other guys said, don't lie, if anything, just don't put a story up at all, if the buyer really wanted to know the reason why your selling the car, he/she'd ask.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-11, 02:37 PM
tjschraf
Driver

does the price seem fair? how much should i be willing to take a hit on?
Old 10-18-11, 02:45 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be the color - Breakwater isn't as popular as the trypical colors on the gray scale (SFP/GFM, SGM, or Obsidian). IMO the 2IS had a horrible color palette.
Old 10-18-11, 02:51 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ad is honestly not that great, i would probably glance over your ad and skip it if i saw this earlier this year when i bought my IS. Also, breakwater blue is a hard sell....not that many people will be attracted to that color as much as the popular colors like white, black, silver, red, etc.

Few bits of constructive criticism for you...

Pictures - Get better ones. Those pics suck. No offense, lol, but the car is cut off in one way or another in all those pictures and the quality sucks. Your also missing interior shots...buyers want to see those to. Give the car a good wash and take some good pics, don't cut any part of the car out and make sure its done in good lighting. I think Craigslist has a 4 picture limit, so post up your best 4 pictures...then upload the rest to a public album on a site like photobucket. Link to the public album in your ad so buyers can look at more pics if they want

Service Records - You mention the car was meticulously maintained. But do you have the proof? If you do, put that in your ad - that you have all receiepts for the services to see.

Carfax - Get one if you can, post a link to it in the ad or once you get it at least mention you can show it to any potential buyers

Phone number - I know it sucks to post your number up on a site like Craigslist, but some buyers will simply see an ad with no number as not being serious on the sale. Plenty of my buddies will not take the time to email a seller about an item if no number is posted, instead they will just move on to a comparable listing. If your worried about posting your number, look at Google Voice. You can set up a FREE number, and once your registered just set it to forward to your real number. Then post your Google Voice number on the ads. Once you've sold the car, disable the forwarding.

Description - You need a better description. What color is the leather on the inside? Are you the first/only owner? Why is the mileage low? Is it AWD or RWD? Change 300hp to 306hp.....It's not a big difference, but to a buyer who knows the exact hp and has done research, it seems like you don't know much detail about this car.

Issues - Post up any issues the car may have. Buyers value honesty, if your up front about any issues with the car, they know your not trying to hide things and waste their time

Price
- Looks like your car is price just below the KBB for a good condition car in your area. Check out the link below for the pricing i got. But let buyers know your willing to negotiate on the price (if you are) and that the car is priced under the KBB value already.

http://www.kbb.com/lexus/is/2006-lex...=private-party

Post it up on other sites too, as long as you fine tune the ad, more publicity is good.
Good luck
Old 10-18-11, 03:04 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1) Don't lie, the son thing is silly. No need.

2) I think one reason you're not getting a lot of hits is that Craigslist's bread and butter isn't $25k used luxury cars. I know people who have had success selling their car on Craigslist, but in general I feel a lot of people aren't comfortable in that price and luxury range buying off Craigslist.

Is this the only avenue you've tried? Craigslist is a nice fallback, but the two first go-to options are 1) a listing in the classifieds section of Club Lexus, and 2) an eBay classifieds post. Both of those will garner you much more results than a Craigslist posting. I know because back in January I was selling my E55 and got tons of hits from eBay, quite a few from the forums, and none from Craigslist. eBay and CL are free, by the way.

Another note is that I also got NO responses from my Cars.com ad for my E55, which I paid $40 for. I would recommend immediately posting your listing to eBay and CL, give it a week or two, then think about Autotrader or Cars.com.

3) Frankly, this is exactly the kind of posting I'd skip over as a potential buyer (and I was 6 months ago, when I bought my 2007 IS350 for $25k):

-Poor quality pictures - I know Craigslist compresses photos, but these are poor quality to begin with, poorly shot and set up, and were clearly haphazardly thrown together (they're not from a dedicated shoot to sell your car). No pictures of the interior? And the third pic of the garage gives me absolutely no information whatsoever, half the car's in a shadow and the visible part of the rear is so small I can't make anything out.

Retake your pictures, with a higher quality camera, with better lighting (like not in parking garages), one of the interior, closer-up, etc.

-Poor write-up - no one wants to read a block paragraph, people are skimming Craigslist to see if cars meet their criteria. List the options in bullets, for example. This listing is set up better in my opinion, and has better pictures: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...646929818.html

Also, add more detail, for example the brand and type of tire you just put on, has it been serviced at dealership...hell, this doesn't even tell me the interior color.

-Price - I don't think the price is too high, but please make it $24,950 or something similar. That's selling 101. In addition to the proven fact people read a number like 24,950 as far less than 25,000, when people search using cutoffs they might leave yours out being at or above 25k.

-Add a link to Carfax, or at least indicate you'll send upon request. Also add your phone number - I'd never buy a car from someone I could only email. Add a Google Voice number if you don't want to list your own.
Old 10-18-11, 04:34 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Soap
when someone shows up to buy it and sees you are 21 how are you going to explain the son going to college?
I lol. This is like one of those comedy show moments.
Old 10-18-11, 06:50 PM
LDNN
Driver

I'm not sure the people cruising Craigslist are your target audience for Lexus'. Try eBay or AutoTrader like you said.
Old 10-18-11, 06:58 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Use AutoTrader or Craigslist. eBay is okay, but remember people expect to go on eBay and get a deal. If you are selling for high value, be prepared to wait a while for it to sell. Update your post a little better man. When I sold my IS300, here was my posting:

RWD 2003 Lexus IS300, 3.0L 2JZ-GE Inline 6-Cylinder, 184,000 Miles, Used, VIN # JTHBD192830070064

Contact: Dack @ 404-XXX-XXXX ANYTIME! CALL OR TEXT! Title in hand!

Value: KBB Private Seller $8150.00 in Excellent Condition

Info: This Lexus is VERY CLEAN, runs BRAND NEW, has ZERO issues, has brand new tires on the front that were bought on August 22, 2011, from Butler Tire and the rear tires are two months old also from Butler Tire. Had the timing belt and Stage II Clutch installed at 172k miles by dealer. This Lexus has Black on Black Suede, 5-Speed Manual Transmission, 260HP, Dual Borla Exhaust, Stage II clutch, SRT Intake, Eibach Pro suspension, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Stainless Steel Brake lines, Figs Hood Prop, 18inch Lexus ISX50 wheels, Pioneer GPS, iPhone/iPod hook up, Lexus Premium Sound, fat tires, spoiler, leather, Heated Seats, ABS Brakes, Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Alloy Wheels, Armrest Storage, Center Armrest, Auto Climate Control, Cruise Control, Driver Side Air Bag, Dual Air Bags, Curtain Airbags, Keyless Entry, Leather Interior, Power Locks, Power Seats, Power Windows, Sunroof/Moonroof, Tinted Glass, Royal Purple Oil, K&N Oil filter.

ALL PAPERWORK IS AVAILABLE. Installed new timing belt and stage II Exedy Clutch at 172,000 miles. More photos upon request. CALL OR TEXT 404-259-6373 ANYTIME! Title in hand!

I have my motorcycle for sale on Craigslist/CycleTrader, here is it's posting. MORE PICTURES THE BETTER. I write HTML so it looks a little cleaner than typical Craigslist.
https://post.craigslist.org/manage/2652636478

Last edited by dackp143; 10-18-11 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 09:23 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dackp143

I have my motorcycle for sale on Craigslist/CycleTrader, here is it's posting. MORE PICTURES THE BETTER. I write HTML so it looks a little cleaner than typical Craigslist.
You posted the manage link dude
Old 10-18-11, 10:22 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol his question is "Selling my IS 350, is the price too high?"
with 25K miles and sport package, $25K isnt bad, I think its just the color. Depend how long you want to keep it, for a quick sale you might want to lower the price a little bit. Its hard to find a buyer with $25K cash. I do agree with some comments here, ur ad is not very good, try to fix it.
Old 10-18-11, 10:35 PM
cc16ue
Pit Crew

i just sold my 2006 breakwater blue IS350 with premium package, no nav and 40,000 miles. KBB was $22,000 - 25,000, but i did not get any hits or calls until my listing price was $22,500. I posted it on Craigslist for 2 weeks and did not get any serious calls, but people were more incline to call when I put the ad on autotrader.com because $20,000 cars dont sell well on Craigslist. Trade to test the market by bring your car to Carmax and maybe add $2-3,000 for private party. Good luck on the sale!!

Quick Reply: Selling my IS 350, is the price too high?