IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Black vinyl wrap for my IS roof

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 01:52 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have pic of a wrapped roof on tungsten pearl? PM me please!
Old 08-30-11, 02:07 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ As a matter of fact I do. Here are some pictures taken of my car the day the roof was wrapped in glossy black vinyl many, many moons ago (look at that rear wheel sunkeness!). The 3rd picture best shows the slight matte texture.

If you do go black roof, make sure you do the side "rain gutters" as well so that it all flows.

Old 08-30-11, 10:32 PM
abitta1
Rookie

Nice roof bro. Now my question is I heard painting the roof will lower the value of your car... Is that true?
Old 08-30-11, 10:41 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ Thanks. It's since been painted so it's even more glossy now, which is how I wanted it.

You almost certainly won't get your money back, and it's possible it would lower the nominal value of your car. However, I think it's a pretty classy mod that would appeal to a lot of buyers, and many new cars have the black roof look anyway so it could be a net positive.
Old 09-05-11, 06:44 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Very well done roof!
Old 09-05-11, 09:17 AM
HALLELUJAH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by abitta1
Nice roof bro. Now my question is I heard painting the roof will lower the value of your car... Is that true?

Yes. Even changing the color of your entire car the value drops that is if your selling to a dealer. A private buyer probably wont care as much but the dealers mentality is that the factory paint job was probably a much better and durable one than the one you had done which in most cases is true. Plus paint jobs hint that you probably had body work done due to w.e. but i say if you like it go for it. W. many cars on the market w. the black top, its probably a detail they will overlook.
Old 09-05-11, 09:41 AM
HALLELUJAH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by abitta1

Yes. Even changing the color of your entire car the value drops that is if your selling to a dealer. A private buyer probably wont care as much but the dealers mentality is that the factory paint job was probably a much better and durable one than the one you had done which in most cases is true. Plus paint jobs hint that you probably had body work done due to w.e. but i say if you like it go for it. W. many cars on the market w. the black top, its probably a detail they will overlook.
Old 09-05-11, 09:41 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brociouz, where and how much did that cost?
Old 09-06-11, 12:27 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by cybeclipse
brociouz, where and how much did that cost?
I got mine done for very cheap as part of a partial sponsorship: $80 OTD. The company that did it has since gone under though - they were located in Fremont, CA.
Old 09-06-11, 01:01 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
I got mine done for very cheap as part of a partial sponsorship: $80 OTD. The company that did it has since gone under though - they were located in Fremont, CA.
Do you have there address or phone #?
Old 09-06-11, 01:17 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^ they are out of business...lol
Old 09-06-11, 07:58 PM
kingster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brociouz
^ Yes, but my point is that it's still not as glossy as paint and it's a pain to have to use different products on different parts of your car.
If shine is what you want, I believe some other people suggested in another thread to apply two coats of clear on vinyl. It will not only protect from fading but it will give the shiny look. Not sure if that will work.
Old 09-06-11, 08:10 PM
kingster
Pole Position

I have had some minor parts of my car (bumbers, spoilers) painted at this body shop in Tijuana Mexico for a franction of a dollar compared to body shops in Los Angeles. Tijuana is not for everybody I understand that. I go there every few months but only drive my car into Mex. territory when I need something done to my car. I get in and get out. I don't drive around that's for sure!
I have no complains no bad experiences yet.
Old 09-06-11, 10:04 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by kingster
If shine is what you want, I believe some other people suggested in another thread to apply two coats of clear on vinyl. It will not only protect from fading but it will give the shiny look. Not sure if that will work.
The problem with a lot of vinyl is that there's a matte texture to it that no amount of clear coat will fix. Perhaps there are better vinyl wraps out there though.
Old 09-07-11, 10:05 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well does anyone know of anywhere we can get a glossy vinyl roof done for a decent price?

Quick Reply: Black vinyl wrap for my IS roof