IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

i wish Lexus had put a high reving 4 cylinder engine in our 250s instead

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 05:30 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ But a high revving 4 cylinder motor isn't as luxury as a smooth V6. The IS250 is still a luxury car, and most buyers would appreciate the smoothness of the V6 over a high revving 4cyl. If you want more power, that's exactly what the IS350 is for. You can't really compare the IS250 to the Mercedes 190's at all.

I agree that the IS350 should be offered with 6 speed manual though. That is something I hope is offered in the future.
Old 03-19-12, 05:40 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Don't tell the Honda Formula 1 drivers that their V6 engines can't rev!

Are you referring to the 80's turbo era drivers as Honda is not currently an engine supplier in F1.
Old 03-19-12, 05:46 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 cylinders are much louder than the v6. it'd be werid to have a lexus make so much noise under the hood
Old 03-19-12, 08:50 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
^ But a high revving 4 cylinder motor isn't as luxury as a smooth V6. The IS250 is still a luxury car, and most buyers would appreciate the smoothness of the V6 over a high revving 4cyl. If you want more power, that's exactly what the IS350 is for. You can't really compare the IS250 to the Mercedes 190's at all.

I agree that the IS350 should be offered with 6 speed manual though. That is something I hope is offered in the future.
While I tend to agree with you regarding most buyers of the IS250 I recall that in Europe and Japan the IS200 had a 200hp four cylinder engine. The car was much more driver-focused then. I do feel that, class for class out of two different eras the IS250 and Mercedes 190 have a lot in common. Yes, the 190 is old today but back then it was more what the IS250 is now. A lot of them were offered with 2.6L inline sixes.

I look at these cars and see an excellent reputation, great build quality and engineering but not much going on in the drivetrain department. Lexus has all but killed my interest in the car. The 350 not having a manual-- good a car as it is for anyone who likes automatics-- is a total deal breaker for me.

Lexus clearly knows their core demographics and that is fine. It's just disappointing to walk into one of their showrooms and feel I'd be more at home at a BMW dealer because I am not forced into automatic transmissions in their sportier models and they are starting to use something I love: turbochargers on four-cylinders. BMW's are refined luxury cars, are they not?

I just cannot fathom why Lexus doesn't even allow someone the option except on their most basic entry level car.
Old 03-20-12, 06:23 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

the manual thing has been covered in depth in other threads.

it's an antique technology that nearly nobody in the US is interested in anymore. Even when they offer it (in the 250) the take rate is less than 5%. Natonwide across all brands the take rate on manuals is nearly as bad, and a good chunk of those are the bottom-of-the-barrel kias where they're trying to save a few bucks not paying to upgrade to an automatic.

the manual IS250 gets the worst mileage of any model- even worse than the AWD one.

F1 figured out years ago clutch pedals make cars slower around a race track too and switched to paddle shifters. Even folks like ferrari and porsche are coming around on this- want the fastest porsche that offers all drivetrains? it won't have a clutch pedal in it.

If you want to see the future of rowing your own gears go try out M mode in an IS-F... it's vastly quicker at shifting that anything with a clutch pedal, and that type of tech (along with the DCT stuff) offers excellent fuel efficiency too with the number of gears it handles.

Manuals anymore is doing more work for an inferior result.

I know some folks while telling you to get off their lawn will insist it's more "fun" but I'm sure there were folks in 1912 when electric engine starters came around who would opine how a good traditional hand-crank-start engine was the only way to really communicate with your vehicle too... and we see how that turned out
Old 03-20-12, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I know some folks while telling you to get off their lawn will insist it's more "fun" but I'm sure there were folks in 1912 when electric engine starters came around who would opine how a good traditional hand-crank-start engine was the only way to really communicate with your vehicle too... and we see how that turned out
haha wow I laughed so hard
Old 03-20-12, 11:48 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my V6... has enough torque for my daily driving purpose.

All my previous car were 4 bangers and they were noisy as hell during acceleration. In fact, this is the smoothest car I have ever driven... I got compliments from my bro-in-law in regards to how smooth and refined the engine is.

I don't see a point in dumping a 4 banger into a Luxury car... it will be like buying another Corolla.
Old 03-20-12, 12:44 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't put down honda as I still own my integra and rev it to 8,500 rmps, but I'll admit putting a 4 banger into the 2IS would have a wrong move by Toyota.
Old 03-20-12, 03:15 PM
showtymers
Driver

a is 250 with a inline4 turbo would be smooth and nice , it would work pretty well because you have to use premium anyways and a big 4 cylinder would have adequate exhaust gasses to spool up a decent size snail..

but thats not what toyota and lexus is about anymore the 1jz/2jz/sw20/7m motors are not what lexus want to use in there cars.. im speaking about there turbo motors
Old 03-20-12, 04:02 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Although I can think of how fun an IS250 with a 4 banger will be, I'd have to say it's neither befitting of Lexus nor is it a product people would be:

Consider this, Lexus is known for its smooth, quite ride. Quite honestly, a high revving 4 banger would have no low end torque making it miserable to drive around town. If you throw in a turbo, chances are it'll have turbo lag. Neither of which is ideal for the typical Lexus driver. And remember, even though many IS250 drivers are young(er) on this forum, the majority of IS250 owners in the US are typically older who 1) don't care too much about power and fun but rather how comfortable it is. Thus it's also not the most appealing product Lexus can offer to its majority customer base. Plus, dropping the IS with a 4 banger would most likely lower its value. One potential car buyer would rather spend $35k on an 2nd Gen IS250 V6 rather than a $35k 3rd Gen IS250 I4. It just doesn't sound appealing. If you sold it at say $30k or $29k, then sure it'd sell more but it'd be now 100% directly compete with the TSX who people will prefer for the "fun factor." This makes the IS250 I4 completely useless. The V6 honestly differentiates it just enough for it to have a more distinct customer base than the TSX.

I could go on but I'll leave it at that.

Now I will say this, Lexus should make a 2 door coupe to compete with the 370z, G37, A5, 3 series coupe or C class coupe. I'd put in the IS350's engine and making a slightly lighter, maybe shorter wheel base coupe to make it just that much better.
Old 03-20-12, 09:35 PM
M32H32IS
Rookie

You mean you wish you still had your civic? I suppose u want fwd too...

I personally am glad they did not. I wouldn't have bought mine.
Old 03-20-12, 10:04 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
the manual thing has been covered in depth in other threads.

it's an antique technology that nearly nobody in the US is interested in anymore. Even when they offer it (in the 250) the take rate is less than 5%. Natonwide across all brands the take rate on manuals is nearly as bad, and a good chunk of those are the bottom-of-the-barrel kias where they're trying to save a few bucks not paying to upgrade to an automatic.

the manual IS250 gets the worst mileage of any model- even worse than the AWD one.

F1 figured out years ago clutch pedals make cars slower around a race track too and switched to paddle shifters. Even folks like ferrari and porsche are coming around on this- want the fastest porsche that offers all drivetrains? it won't have a clutch pedal in it.

If you want to see the future of rowing your own gears go try out M mode in an IS-F... it's vastly quicker at shifting that anything with a clutch pedal, and that type of tech (along with the DCT stuff) offers excellent fuel efficiency too with the number of gears it handles.

Manuals anymore is doing more work for an inferior result.

See... I don't really care about getting the best fuel economy or having the fastest shifting transmission. I just prefer to use three pedals and a movable stick to change the gears in my car's transmission. Yeah, Ferrari has abandoned manuals save for the California and Porsche is considering making the GT3 available only with a PDK dual-clutch auto-manual.

That's great.

As a buyer those things mean nothing to me. I'm not trying to win races. An automatically shifting daily driver, even if it's a 911, is incredibly boring to me even if it has pretty little F1 style paddles. I'm old fashioned I guess but when I'm told there is no manual transmission option especially in a high performance luxury automobile I lose interest.

I'll go to whichever manufacturer offers me what I actually want rather than what I'm told I *should* want.

Now if I were going to build a track racing car and I could afford a truly modern design I'd probably go with the newer and faster technology because the object is to win with whatever resources are available.

A street car, however, isn't prepped for GT2 or GT3. It's just a conveyance and thus can afford the driver whatever options or eccentricities he or she so desires. I'll take the "antiquated" manual transmission technology every day of the week even if it's slower and ever so slightly less efficient than an automatic. Unless it matters to be the fastest shifting to every stoplight, what is the problem?
Old 03-21-12, 06:42 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
See... I don't really care about getting the best fuel economy or having the fastest shifting transmission. I just prefer to use three pedals and a movable stick to change the gears in my car's transmission. Yeah, Ferrari has abandoned manuals save for the California and Porsche is considering making the GT3 available only with a PDK dual-clutch auto-manual.

That's great.

As a buyer those things mean nothing to me. I'm not trying to win races. An automatically shifting daily driver, even if it's a 911, is incredibly boring to me even if it has pretty little F1 style paddles. I'm old fashioned I guess but when I'm told there is no manual transmission option especially in a high performance luxury automobile I lose interest.

I'll go to whichever manufacturer offers me what I actually want rather than what I'm told I *should* want.

Now if I were going to build a track racing car and I could afford a truly modern design I'd probably go with the newer and faster technology because the object is to win with whatever resources are available.

A street car, however, isn't prepped for GT2 or GT3. It's just a conveyance and thus can afford the driver whatever options or eccentricities he or she so desires. I'll take the "antiquated" manual transmission technology every day of the week even if it's slower and ever so slightly less efficient than an automatic. Unless it matters to be the fastest shifting to every stoplight, what is the problem?

well, hey, you like what you like, and if slower and less efficient is what you like then you'll base your buying on that.

But it's unreasonable to expect most companies, especially ones who are pushing luxury, efficiency, and performance, to cater to that desire.

Thus does it make little sense for Lexus to offer a manual... you're one of a very few, and fewer every year, who actually want one in the first place, and virtually every objective advantage to them no longer exists due to advances in automatic/DCT transmission technology.

They threw one, and kind of a crap one, in the 250 because they could cheaply adapt one from another vehicle and it made their offering more attactive in some overseas markets where manual uptake is a lot higher than the US... but developing an expensive high performance manual for the 350/F made no business sense at all... look at the cost of the supra 6-speed sometime and see how little sense that'd make cost-wise in the 2IS, especially with only a few % of buyers wanting a stick anyway.

So by all means keep buying what you like, but don't be surprised if that leaves you fewer and fewer choices over time, and don't be surprised when most brands cease offering the option at all.
Old 03-21-12, 09:54 AM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sango
^

That depends on the road and traffic conditions. I have yet to see a thread which saids 350 can go 400+ on a tank which the 250 can. The assumption is majority freeway (not 100%) and mixed city driving.
Pay for a full tank of gas and I'll try it in the dead of night. LOL. 50mph all highway and let's seeeeeeee!
Old 03-21-12, 11:09 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I've gone over 400 miles on a tank in my 350 lots of times... 70-80 mph with cruise control set, all highway... not difficult at all.

My car generally puts up 28-30 mpg highway at those speeds, which only requires 13.3-14.3 gallons of fuel. With 6 gears including 2 OD gears there's no reason to chug at 50 mph for good mileage.

Quick Reply: i wish Lexus had put a high reving 4 cylinder engine in our 250s instead