IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ipod/pad ECU monitoring apps and their potential

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 10:36 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod/pad ECU monitoring apps and their potential

Iphone/ipad rather but i suppose that newer ipods can use them as well.

I've asked this in a thread some time ago but had no responses.

I have the 'PLX kiwi-wifi' that plugs into my OBII sensor and I use the 'Rev2' app with my iphone and ipad. (I bought 3 others before finding this one that works whereas the others didnt and there are no itunes store refunds) I find that it monitors nearly every diagnostic that I could possibly want (not that any are essential since I drive a 2.5 liter) and some that I would never need to. They all seem to work extremely accurately as well. But more than anything it's just darn cool!!!

However, I've seen apps for VW/AUDI/PORSCHE that have further user functions like: Valet mode, where you can preset throttle limitations for when someone else is using your car. (this ability could then serve the same purpose of a throttle boost controller for instance). Security mode, where even with the key you have to input a passcode into the iphone/ipad to start the vehicle. The possibilities are great with this kind of technology.

What kind of engineering (for lack of a better term) is required in making these applications? I cant think of TOO many people on here who would NOT be interested in having such cool functions available to them for a price of around $150 for the kiwi/wifi and $50 for the app.

In other words...who do I have to start writing letters to ? haha
Old 08-17-11, 05:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick323
Iphone/ipad rather but i suppose that newer ipods can use them as well.

I've asked this in a thread some time ago but had no responses.

I have the 'PLX kiwi-wifi' that plugs into my OBII sensor and I use the 'Rev2' app with my iphone and ipad. (I bought 3 others before finding this one that works whereas the others didnt and there are no itunes store refunds) I find that it monitors nearly every diagnostic that I could possibly want (not that any are essential since I drive a 2.5 liter) and some that I would never need to. They all seem to work extremely accurately as well. But more than anything it's just darn cool!!!

However, I've seen apps for VW/AUDI/PORSCHE that have further user functions like: Valet mode, where you can preset throttle limitations for when someone else is using your car. (this ability could then serve the same purpose of a throttle boost controller for instance). Security mode, where even with the key you have to input a passcode into the iphone/ipad to start the vehicle. The possibilities are great with this kind of technology.

What kind of engineering (for lack of a better term) is required in making these applications? I cant think of TOO many people on here who would NOT be interested in having such cool functions available to them for a price of around $150 for the kiwi/wifi and $50 for the app.

In other words...who do I have to start writing letters to ? haha

To make any changes (and even then, fairly limited ones) you'd need a Techstream II.

Good luck getting that for $150.
Old 08-17-11, 04:01 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
To make any changes (and even then, fairly limited ones) you'd need a Techstream II.

Good luck getting that for $150.

Yeah, see..I have no idea what that even is (which is a testament to how little I know of the topic). So....this youtube video for this particular app is false? They have additional hardware in their vehicle? Or are VW/AUDI/Porsche vehicles just able to do this "changing" but we would not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6glW...layer_embedded
Old 08-17-11, 06:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

There are cracks for VW/Audi ECMs. There are none for Lexus. You'd have to crack it first, then load the additional software on the appropriate ECU to get this kind of functionality. Toyota doesn't not believe owners should be able to make any changes other than what they deem appropriate at the factory, so we get very tightly locked down electronics from them.

Sure you can monitor, but change anything? Not likely to happen with Toyota.

BTW, VW and Audi ECUs will soon be uncrackable. They're putting hardware and software changes in place to make it impossible to mod future generations of Bosch OEM products.
Old 08-17-11, 06:49 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

A Techstream is the official toyota tool for ECU diagnostics and flashing-

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...rog&_nfpb=true

It costs $8000
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...dinfosheet.pdf

Cheaper is techstream lite- which requires you to supply your own laptop... doing it that way it's only $1345.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...flyertinfo.pdf

Note- it requires a professional subscription to TIS to work (1 year is included in the hardware purchase for 1345, or 2 years for the $8000 one)... after that it's another $1095 a year to maintain access/use of it.

You'll still be fairly limited in what "changes" you can make... (basically only toyota-provided calibration files, or simple changes to stuff like add new keys, add new TPMS sensors, or change the LPS settings (ie how long the courtesy lights stay on for and other fairly simple settings).
Old 08-17-11, 09:24 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info and shattered hopes
Old 08-18-11, 11:59 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have pics of this setup and the intregrated iPad? Sounds interesting.
Old 08-18-11, 01:15 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Here's a little video of it that i posted on youtube that i could show people who wanted to see the app running. Probably a lot of idle time where i'm just messing around with it but it's something for you to see the app running. By integrated ipad I dont mean i have it custom mounted in dash or anything. I bought a "ram mount" that fits in the cupholder with a flexible rod and backing plate to hold the ipad. It's integrated in that the wires are run through the center console back through the dash and into my dvd player/receiver which is mounted in my glove box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sYx7y38f9Y