IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What was your experience like buying your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 02:37 PM
raywest
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What was your experience like buying your IS?

When I was negotiating for my IS, I had some hot moments with the manager of the salesman. I was there for about 6 hours looking at almost every car. When we did get to the negotiating part, the manager offered me $8,000 less than the KBB value for my trade. I said that was too low and wanted more....and I offered him $3000 less on the MRSP of the IS 250. At this point, he said that I had "insulted" him by lowering the price from $43k to $40k, so I said that he was insulting me by offering me $8k less than the KBB price. They gave me all this bull***** about how KBB wass not accounting for the current market and how long it will take for my convertible to be sold since summer is over.

In the end, I got what I wanted and my trade was close enough to the KBB value.

How about you guys?
Old 08-12-11, 02:53 PM
kannon
Pole Position

Huh my trade and purchased experience went smooth as butter. They were very fair on trade in value from the start.
Old 08-12-11, 03:03 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I never trade in. If the dealer gives you a lot for your old car, they will make money off your new car mrsp or finance rate. If they give you little your old ride, they give you a lower price on the new one. They always figure out how to make money somewhere. I kept my old car as a beater. Otherwise I'd sell it privately.
Old 08-12-11, 03:06 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

First time I went, nobody paid any attention to me even though it wasn't busy. Perhaps I looked too young? Anyways I looked around and left. Did some research and went back a week later.

Second time, a salesman talked to me, but didn't take me seriously and just seemed like he wanted to talk to other people since he was looking around the show room. By this time, I already knew what I wanted.

Third time I went in, spoke to a salesperson that spent the time to go over some car details with me, etc. Seemed like he was genuine and interested in my business. Papers signed and completed in 45 min. I never bothered to trade since the amount suggested wasn't worth the haggle. Wind up selling my GSR privately.
Old 08-12-11, 03:13 PM
brettno1
Rookie

I bought my IS used (2010 13K miles). The price for the car was very reasonable (based on KBB and Edmunds) but I got them to come down another $700. The low balled me on my trade though. They offered me about $2500 under KBB. They gave me the same story about market conditions and how they had another car already on their lot that was the same make as mine and no one had looked at it in the past month.

I got them to come up another $750 on the trade, and that combined with a trade in tax credit we get here in Nevada, brought it up to about the KBB value.

Overall the experience was pretty painless. I was at the dealership for a little over 2 hours in total.
Old 08-12-11, 03:21 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine wasn't as smooth. The first dealership I went to was nice but they just wanted to wait until the car arrives instead of ordering it for me.

The second dealership I went to seemed nice at first to get me in the door and do test drives but once we asked the salesman to give me a deal, he became insulted at the question. He refused to negotiate and said that "people here buy cars at MSRP!!". (Obviously, not true... a friend recommended me this salesman because she got a good deal from him before!) He even wanted me to pay shipping. I walked out of that one.

The third dealership I went to was friendly and the salesman I talked to said he'd get the car for me. The two months I thought I was waiting for the order to arrive, I didn't hear from him for because he quit his job at the dealership!! I talked to a different salesman there and he said the guy who quit did not leave any notes about my vehicle request. I ended up buying from this new guy I talked to. He was friendly but did not drop the price nearly as low as I wanted. Still, he did order the car I wanted and at least I didn't pay MSRP.

This all took about three months.
Old 08-12-11, 03:25 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Went in. Had a C-class with a slipping tranny, bald tired on all 4, curbed up rims, glitches all over the interior computer stuff. Traded it in for about 4k less than kbb EXCLUDING the $$ for repairs. I thought it was a good deal so I took it. I went there about twice with my friend looking for the car. I too looked young, so they didn't power helping me. 3rd time I went in and finally talked to someone about an hour before closing. Actually stayed there about an hour after they closed working on paperwork. I got about 4k off MSRP also on top of the trade in. I just felt bad for the people who had to do paperwork, seemed so repetitive.

Also during the negotiation, the sales guy didn't want to lower the price anymore, sat there talking about Japan and its low supply blah blah. Finally said we were going to leave and go elsewhere and the salesman probably didn't want his time wasted so he gave me the extra 1k off.
Old 08-12-11, 03:47 PM
msndal70
Driver School Candidate

I had a decent albeit less than ideal experience. I was trading in my 2010 Honda Ridgeline for a 2011 IS250. My truck was valued with KBB at $31k and they offered me $26k. I said 'nope cant do that, try again'. Their 'best offer' at that point was $27k. I realize they need to make money on the sale of my trade, but I wasn't going to let them take all the equity and run with it. As I got up to leave, that's when they finally agreed to made me a fair deal. In the end, I was happy, but I sure hate the squeeze it takes to get there.
Old 08-12-11, 04:00 PM
VPIS350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded a 4runner for my IS. The thing was worth 3k so we asked if we could get 6k hence lowering the price of the IS plus a down of 5k cash and we'll buy today. Not too much trouble and got my car.
Old 08-12-11, 04:36 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

wow some unfortuanate stores... my buying experience went smooth all 4 times....

Last edited by iRock; 08-12-11 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-12-11, 05:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I found negotiating online with the internet department saved me a lot of hassle and trouble. You can weed out those who are unwilling to work with you and also pinpoint the exact model you want. I emailed around for about 4 days to make my deal. When it was complete, I walked in, signed the papers, and it was done.
Old 08-12-11, 05:58 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

pulled up. guy immediately walks up to me to help me out. shows me one car thats exactly what i wanted, black on black with all of the good options. didnt even have to ask for a test drive he offered. i say i gotta come back with my parents. visit my parents and we email some other dealers to check out the pricing. called up the first guy and he matched the best price we got. overnighted us the papers and i signed them and sent them back since my parents live in northern california and this is newport lexus dealer.
Old 08-12-11, 07:41 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been pretty lucky, we've been dealing with the same dealership and sales consultant for years, and have purchased 6 cars from him. When we bought our 2007 350, they can down to 38,900 (list was just under 44) without any trouble - and the whole transaction was over the phone.

Now, the IS-F, being used, was a bit more interesting. But, at the end of the day, I was happy think I recieved a fair deal. The dealership experience was top-notch as always. Kudos to Lawrence Lexus.
Old 08-12-11, 08:02 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I honestly loved my dealership and wouldn't mind buying another car from them in the future. Sadly, I think they ran out of business recently.

Anyhow, I bought my '07 IS350 used. I saw an ad for it in September 2010 for $25,995. In October, it hasn't sold yet and price was $21,995. I called them up and they were willing to do $21,000. After longer talking, they said $20,500 was lowest. I then went there with my mom, dad, and sister. The car's oil was changed, so was cabin filter, air filter, all brake pads, and brake fluid. They washed it up and let me go for a test drive. I went driving it for 20 minutes. I've only been behind the wheel for 20 hours at the time (new driver) so I had no clue really as to how the car was suppose to be so I just decided to buy. When we got back, they bought donuts and coffee for us! We haggled more and agreed to $20,300.

They were cool people and very nice. They also gave us all t-shirts. Also, on the way back, we didn't have directions and they printed us some. It has tolls, and we didn't have change since the car we drove there had an "I-Pass" for automated toll payments. So they even gave us change that was in a cup holder of a 3-series coupe for us to get home lol. Nice people and I wished they were still in business. It wasn't a Lexus dealer, just a small dealer mainly selling Porsches and Mercedes.
Old 08-13-11, 07:23 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Once I test drive and decide what I want I don't go back until I am picking up a car. Do everything by e-mail or phone. In the delaership you are in their domain and they have the upper hand. From your home or office you are in total control. If I was at a dealer for 6 hours I would go postal. How much BS can you hear in one day?

Quick Reply: What was your experience like buying your IS?