IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front turn signal bulbs SOB to change!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 11:06 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front turn signal bulbs SOB to change!

Picked up some bluish white Polarg bulbs for the front turn signals from another CL member and just got done putting them in. What should have took less than 10min on other cars took about an hour to do on my IS350. Why take so long for 4 bulbs? Pretty much the front bumper has to be removed to access the area needed to change out the turn signal bulbs. Not just that, the reinforcement bar also has to be removed to access and change out the inner turn signal bulbs. I'm a pro at removing my front bumper so it's no big deal for me, but I can't imagine people who will faint seeing the bumper off the car to do this themselves. It must suck if the bulbs go out on a out of warranty car. Dealer will probably charge $$$ due to needing the bumper and reinforement bar to be removed to change out a bulb. Most people will probably just live with a burnt out bulb in this case.. Hmmmmm.. Lexus probably purposely engineered it this way... $$$
Attached Thumbnails Front turn signal bulbs SOB to change!-imag1017-picsay.jpg  

Last edited by MrBBQ; 08-16-11 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 11:12 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm, maybe why our cars have 4 signal bulbs? In case one goes out, there's another since it's such a pain to change.

But good to know, I'm wanting to get rid of the egg yolk look in mine but changing them out to LEDs. Are white turn signals even legal?
Old 08-12-11, 11:16 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what was the bulb # you used? i was thinking of using the chrome coated amber turn signal bulbs. but im not stateside to attack this project quite yet lol
Old 08-12-11, 11:22 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chi123
Hmm, maybe why our cars have 4 signal bulbs? In case one goes out, there's another since it's such a pain to change.

But good to know, I'm wanting to get rid of the egg yolk look in mine but changing them out to LEDs. Are white turn signals even legal?

i think each state is different.
Old 08-12-11, 11:38 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

should have removed the headlight instead of the bumper reinforment. Once the bumper is off the headlights is bolted to the car by three 10mm bolts.
Old 08-12-11, 11:42 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chi123

Good point but IMO, these bulbs are meant to flash, not serve as a backup in case one fails. Sure a person can get away with one burnt out but it won't be symmetrical anymore. The newer 2011 headlights only has one bulb as the turn signal on each headlight, I wonder if it requires just as much work to change that bulb. No backup bulb there...

But yea, I changed them out to get rid of the egg yolk color, now they are blue haha.. CA law says the front must white or amber in color, so it's perfectly legal. (FYI, rear turn signals must be red or amber)

Originally Posted by c-low
what was the bulb # you used? i was thinking of using the chrome coated amber turn signal bulbs. but im not stateside to attack this project quite yet lol
The front turn signal bulbs use 7440. Using chrome bulbs is a good way to get rid of the orange color showing through the lens.
Old 08-12-11, 11:57 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by B16da9
should have removed the headlight instead of the bumper reinforment. Once the bumper is off the headlights is bolted to the car by three 10mm bolts.
I remember I had to remove my reinforcement bar to replace my driveside headlight. I could be wrong, if it is possible it'll definately be a tight fit to remove/replace. I think removing the reinforcent bar (6 bolts) to access the bottom of the headlights is easier than removing the headlights and then putting it back. I wouldn't remove the headlight unless it's absolutely necessary, might throw alignment slightly off.
Old 08-12-11, 12:27 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
I remember I had to remove my reinforcement bar to replace my driveside headlight. I could be wrong, if it is possible it'll definately be a tight fit to remove/replace. I think removing the reinforcent bar (6 bolts) to access the bottom of the headlights is easier than removing the headlights and then putting it back. I wouldn't remove the headlight unless it's absolutely necessary, might throw alignment slightly off.
I've removed my headlights to so my projector retrofit and it's cake once the bumper is off. You don't even need to disconnect the harness even though this is cake also.
Old 08-12-11, 12:44 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

^^ That's good to know. I would like to upgrade to 2011 headlights one day when they figure out the bubbling problem. Sure save me a step, thanks.
Old 08-12-11, 02:12 PM
Linkseal
Driver

I already changed my turn signal bulbs twice already, stealth bulbs then LED bulbs, yes it is kinda stupid you have to remove the whole bumper to change the turn signal bulbs.

What really bother me is the driver-side headlight washer fluid tube is connection the washer pump and the front bumper. (Tried disconnect then washer fluid all around floor) I barely have room to twist the bulb under the headlight housing since th front bump is on the way.
Old 08-13-11, 12:30 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

i was just about to ask about the headlight alignment. lol

i think i will put some of the l.e.d on order\

anyone with pics or vids?
Old 08-13-11, 12:35 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

"Turn Signal LED bulbs will require the use of a "Load Equalizer" in order to prevent "rapid-flash". "

is this true?
Old 08-13-11, 12:47 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

"Turn Signal LED bulbs will require the use of a "Load Equalizer" in order to prevent "rapid-flash". "

is this true?
If you're installing LEDs as turn signals, you'll need to install load resistors. Otherwise, you signals will blink like crazy. I'm sure you've seen some cars on the road where their turn signals have a super rapid flash. It'll happen without resistors.

These will work, I'm ordering these for my turn signals. You'll need four of them (50W 6OHM). Just splice the resistors onto the positive and negative wires before the bulb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1X-50...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-13-11, 12:55 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

would you happen to know how hard it is to pull the orange reflector out of the headlight? i think that removed, plus led turn signals would be pretty dope. i was also thinkin of color matching headlight housing like honda did with some of the fit vehicles (if im not mistaken)
Old 08-13-11, 01:01 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

would you happen to know how hard it is to pull the orange reflector out of the headlight? i think that removed, plus led turn signals would be pretty dope. i was also thinkin of color matching headlight housing like honda did with some of the fit vehicles (if im not mistaken)
You need to bake the headlights and open them up to remove it or do something with it. I think it's just held on by tabs once you get it open. I've always wanted to put vinyls on my reflector, like carbon fiber, black, or chrome but just not worth it having to do all that work.

Quick Reply: Front turn signal bulbs SOB to change!