IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need some help [Tint recommendations]

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 10:16 PM
cdtran2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my co-workers and I were actually talking about how different tints look depending on the car color. the same tint on a light colored car vs a darker colored car will always look darker. It's just an optical illusion...

as for my SGM IS, I did 30% ceramic all around and it wasn't dark enough, so a few months later I went back for another 30% of carbon film on all the windows(sides/rear) and did 50% on the windshield too. I can still see fine at night especially with the backup camera...
Old 07-26-11, 10:21 PM
MonsterIS
Rookie

5% on back and rear windows... lol 30% on front sides...! its perfect..! i drive in front of cops all day in Wisconsin, legal legit is 35% rear and back and 50% sides, and i haven't gotten pulled over... yet... haha btw, it also keeps it cool on the inside, i got the "high-performance" from ziebarttt

Last edited by MonsterIS; 07-26-11 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-27-11, 05:13 AM
Dstockton
Driver School Candidate

I have 5% all the way around. The only way to go. I'm in Oklahoma though and they really don't care about the window tint.
Old 05-03-12, 03:19 PM
Bowls4Days
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Cali Tint

Does no one here have 5% tint in California???
from what I've mostly read here is that Cali has strict tint laws? not true at all.

California you are allowed ANY darkness on all back windows and atleast 70% visible light on the front.

on my previous car (camry 2005) i got 5% on the backs and 20% on the front. the 20% was risky because i wasnt sure how dark it would look. in the daytime it was tolerable, but at night it looked just as dark as the ones in the back! never got cited for them though and drove past cops with windows rolled up plenty of times. mustve been lucky.

on my 09 is250 i plan on doing 5% again on the backs and this time going with either 30-35% on the front. i WOULD do 20% again but thought not to push my luck this time around.

also was thinking of doing the taillights as well. was thinking 20% for them but wasnt sure how dark that would turn out..i want it to look black, but not to the point where you can barely make out the lights..

any suggestions?
Old 05-03-12, 03:30 PM
03pcoupe
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 15% and 25%, I was told by the owner of the shop that if you have it significantly (20%) different in the front versus the back, then cops are less lightly to ticket you bc it looks a lot lighter in the front (objectively speaking). And remember if you have a black interior, the tint looks even darker... I think my tint is fine, havent gotten ticketed yet (SD) *knock on wood*
Old 05-03-12, 03:51 PM
mier
Rookie

Get 3m Color stable. I have 15% in the back and 20% in the front .
Old 05-03-12, 03:56 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

i got 20% all around with SFP.
Old 05-03-12, 03:58 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowls4Days
from what I've mostly read here is that Cali has strict tint laws? not true at all.

California you are allowed ANY darkness on all back windows and atleast 70% visible light on the front.
The tint law is similar to that of BC, Canada except you cannot tint front at all. The police there do enforce it more often and can pull drivers over for probable cause. They also setup drink and driving counter attack random checkpoints one can get caught there for tints as well.

The thing for BC, the police have the authorize to cut/slash an illegal tint with a razor blade at their discretion. Playing dumb with them don't work because they know the tricks. Oh, why is your windows down at night (and some of them was especially during the rain!!!)?!?! lol! Some try to avoid the question until the officer orders them to raise the windows up because they know they were hiding the tint.

If one gets their tints slash, it forces them to remove it because they have to show the car at the station or face a more serious fine of several hundred dollars on top of the tint ticket.

Even thou I have my tints all around including front windshield, I don't have problems with police myself.

Last edited by Sango; 05-03-12 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 08:50 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

20% all four doors and 5% rear...

Old 05-03-12, 09:20 PM
o7iS250
Pole Position

i would do 35 all the way around, it's what I have and is very clean.. at night it looks dark but during the day it's enough to keep the cops off my ***!
Old 05-03-12, 09:32 PM
kams229
Pole Position

Florida is very flexible with tint laws I run 5% all around and 50% down my whole front windshield and have never been looked at twice by a cop
Old 05-03-12, 09:50 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowls4Days

on my previous car (camry 2005) i got 5% on the backs and 20% on the front. the 20% was risky because i wasnt sure how dark it would look. in the daytime it was tolerable, but at night it looked just as dark as the ones in the back! never got cited for them though and drove past cops with windows rolled up plenty of times. mustve been lucky.

on my 09 is250 i plan on doing 5% again on the backs and this time going with either 30-35% on the front. i WOULD do 20% again but thought not to push my luck this time around.

also was thinking of doing the taillights as well. was thinking 20% for them but wasnt sure how dark that would turn out..i want it to look black, but not to the point where you can barely make out the lights..

any suggestions?
I wouldn't go that dark. Maybe 5% back, 20% rears, and 35% fronts. You're pushing your luck and you got Real lucky in the past.
Old 05-04-12, 02:31 AM
Vip.Status
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

35% all around for me and its a clean look
Old 05-04-12, 05:43 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

D
Originally Posted by 03pcoupe
...I was told by the owner of the shop that if you have it significantly (20%) different in the front versus the back, then cops are less lightly to ticket you bc it looks a lot lighter in the front (objectively speaking)
Yep that in true in a sense because 20% light difference is indistinguishable to the brain without a direct comparison beside it.

Also explains why no one notices I have a front windshield tint because I am using 80%.
------------------------

I had my front side windows redone which as covered under warranty. This time I had F1 Pinnacle 35 put in (uses to be Pinnacle 40 all around); it seems to blend in better with the back windows better since the back would appear darker as more light comes in from the front. I will see how it work out for a while...I f it does not work out, I will get the rears changed to 35% as well but won't do it anytime soon.

Last edited by Sango; 05-04-12 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-04-12, 09:10 AM
Lexus408
Pole Position

5% for the back windows and 13% for the front.

Need some help [Tint recommendations]-pic-1.jpg

Quick Reply: Need some help [Tint recommendations]