IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS350, doesnt seem to be any problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 03:09 PM
thecos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 IS350, doesnt seem to be any problems.

Hello All,

I have been searching for a new car for the last month. I have checked out all types of cars (I am not really picky). G35's and 350's which seem to have issues with OC on their VQ engines. GTI's, Mini Cooper S, and Mazda Speed 3. All seem to have issues.

I was wandering around my local dealer yesterday and saw a nice silver Lexus IS350. It was a 2006 and they were asking $27,000. It has 68,000km on the thing. I thought it looked pretty nice so we took it for a spin. I fell in love with the luxury of it (no key required, steering wheel that moves to you, dual climate control, air con seats) and so I started to read on the forums.

Typically in the first 5 minutes on a forum you can see the re-occuring issues and I know that no car is perfect. However after spending a few hours picking around on my.is and club lexus I cant seem to find ANYTHING really wrong with these cars. The odd squeak here or there but that is all.

Now what I want to ask, and the reason for the thread, is there really no major issues associated with this car? Also do you think my price point is good for the price? I read another thread where someone was getting an 07 transfered and they were asking 28,000.

thank you in advanced.

Cosworth
Old 07-24-11, 03:39 PM
ISlow350
Driver School Candidate

hello there.
i have an is350 06 and let me tell you its an awesome car..smooth and fast. i got this car a little bit over half a year and it has been really good so far. the small little issue i have for this car is the speedometer needles. the LED needles seemed to went out but only half though. other than that, everything is perfect. and i got this car for 22,200 at 60,100km. i live in CA by the way.
Old 07-24-11, 03:50 PM
thecos
Driver School Candidate

^^ CA as in Cali or CA as in Canada. Where did you get a deal like that?!? I was going to offer 24,500.

Lexus of Calgary has an 07 with 60,000km and they are asking 35,000. I found one in Edmonton that has 50,000km but less options and they are asking 24,995. I figure settling on 25,000 ALL IN is going to be realistic and seems like a decent deal, but if you got yours for 22,200 that is insane.

Thank you for the post
Old 07-24-11, 03:54 PM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISlow350
hello there.
i have an is350 06 and let me tell you its an awesome car..smooth and fast. i got this car a little bit over half a year and it has been really good so far. the small little issue i have for this car is the speedometer needles.
I too have an 06 IS350 and it runs like a champ. I also had a speedometer / cluster issue, but it was all fixed under warranty.

Nothing wrong with in 06 350 imo.
Old 07-24-11, 04:02 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This should answer your questions: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

Scroll down to "Common Issues to Watch for on the 2IS". That lists pretty much the only issues that 2IS owners commonly encounter. Outside of that handful of items, people rarely have issues with their cars. You'll want to be sure that the right TSIBs have been performed on the car by checking the dealer service history.
Old 07-24-11, 05:15 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

i owned is350 and haven't any problem at all. For the price i don't know much on used car but price is different due to option of the car. The one you're looking at is fully loaded which is ML system, HID auto leveling headlight, user memory (seat, steering wheel, mirrors)
good luck with your offer!!!
Old 07-24-11, 05:47 PM
thecos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by calvin2376
This should answer your questions: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

Scroll down to "Common Issues to Watch for on the 2IS". That lists pretty much the only issues that 2IS owners commonly encounter. Outside of that handful of items, people rarely have issues with their cars. You'll want to be sure that the right TSIBs have been performed on the car by checking the dealer service history.
Thanks for the input. I read that thread and was amazed at what came up. Practically nothing that would cause failure. Everything was labeled as a nuisance.... haha

Originally Posted by whitebeast
i owned is350 and haven't any problem at all. For the price i don't know much on used car but price is different due to option of the car. The one you're looking at is fully loaded which is ML system, HID auto leveling headlight, user memory (seat, steering wheel, mirrors)
good luck with your offer!!!
Thanks for the positive words. I do love the car. I dont think it has the ML stereo but I didnt check that hard.

Overall it is amazing how lightly these cars see major failures. I am pretty sure I want to pull the plug on this deal. The only ones I really have to worry about are the spoiler, cam gear, LED light, and trim pieces.

Just a question for you guys what is the typical warranty on these? I saw mention of both 4 year 50,000miles (which would be expires) and a 6 year 60,000 mile (which would still be active). If anyone in Canada knows let me know. I will let you all know how it goes

Last edited by thecos; 07-24-11 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-24-11, 06:40 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thecos
Thanks for the input. I read that thread and was amazed at what came up. Practically nothing that would cause failure. Everything was labeled as a nuisance.... haha
You're right. There are definitely issues that afflict the 2IS, but they tend not to be issues that cause vehicle breakdowns or even affect drivability. They're more likely to be squeaks, rattles, or nuisance issues. That said, when these non-catastrophic issues do occur, they are expensive. If it's an option, I would consider an extended warranty for that reason.

Overall it is amazing how lightly these cars see major failures. I am pretty sure I want to pull the plug on this deal. The only ones I really have to worry about are the spoiler, cam gear, LED light, and trim pieces.
Hopefully you mean pull the trigger, not the plug.

Just a question for you guys what is the typical warranty on these? I saw mention of both 4 year 50,000miles (which would be expires) and a 6 year 60,000 mile (which would still be active). If anyone in Canada knows let me know. I will let you all know how it goes
This explains all the factory warranties that come with every Lexus sold in Canada:

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience...ge=lexus_owner
Old 07-24-11, 06:43 PM
thecos
Driver School Candidate

You're right. There are definitely issues that afflict the 2IS, but they tend not to be issues that cause vehicle breakdowns or even affect drivability. They're more likely to be squeaks, rattles, or nuisance issues. That said, when these non-catastrophic issues do occur, they are expensive. If it's an option, I would consider an extended warranty for that reason.
[/url]
True, I am going to check to see what was done as part of the recalls and such. I have someone running the VIN for me tomorrow. As long as I dont buy a 25k car and then need a new engine in a few months I am pretty happy.

Hopefully you mean pull the trigger, not the plug.
Sorry had the wedding rehearsal last night and my brain is still foggy.

This explains all the factory warranties that come with every Lexus sold in Canada:

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience...ge=lexus_owner
Thanks I will give it a read.
Old 07-24-11, 06:51 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

27k is a bit steep for an 06 with that many miles. Should be around 25 or just a bit under

Also, 2006 seems to have the most recalls for the IS

But then again, I have an 06 and I have no problems yet
Old 07-24-11, 06:57 PM
thecos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ApokC
27k is a bit steep for an 06 with that many miles. Should be around 25 or just a bit under

Also, 2006 seems to have the most recalls for the IS

But then again, I have an 06 and I have no problems yet
It works out to about 42,000 miles. The car (and the OP) are Canadian. I would tend to agree with you but they are within $200.00 of the next closest one and, as I mentioned about the Lexus Calgary one, there are many in the mid 30's and they are 2006/2007 as well.
Old 07-24-11, 08:25 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

thats the main reason i bought my is350 in march. i been through a few good cars but they have issues that need to be fixed no matter what at certain intervals, and i was tired of dealing with that. searching on here i found isolated issues and with my car i have a few isolated issues but nothing thats going to make me sell my car or not love it as much...
the lack of mods is really the only downfall. if modding is really your type of thing in the first place.
Old 07-24-11, 08:32 PM
thecos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rayac88
thats the main reason i bought my is350 in march. i been through a few good cars but they have issues that need to be fixed no matter what at certain intervals, and i was tired of dealing with that. searching on here i found isolated issues and with my car i have a few isolated issues but nothing thats going to make me sell my car or not love it as much...
the lack of mods is really the only downfall. if modding is really your type of thing in the first place.
I will mod it however I am mainly into visual improvements. Such as cleaning up markers, badges, etc. I only really did performance when I was bored of the car or if it improved the visual anyways.
Old 07-24-11, 09:29 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only real flaw I have found that annoys me is the inability to turn off the traction control like the '07s and newer... the '06 is the one year they did this to owners.
Unlike other names, the only mods for the IS is bling, which is overall dissapointing.
Buy your IS for the performance it has, not for what you hope it might do.... All other brands win hands down there.

My favorite part of the IS? Ya hit the start button and go.... every time....

BOL
V
Old 07-24-11, 11:35 PM
thecos
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input guys.

Last edited by Bichon; 07-25-11 at 03:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 2006 IS350, doesnt seem to be any problems.