IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

got cheated..very upset

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-11, 06:15 PM
Cybereye04
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry got cheated..very upset

So the the paint on my 2008 IS was peeling off my rear bumper and I went to the dealer to see what they could do and if it was still under warranty. After some inspections, the dealer told me that my car had been painted already so it was not Lexus paint and was not covered under the warranty. The only problem is that I never painted my car and I have never been in an accident. According to the dealer my whole right side was repainted. I got my car used in 2008, but there was nothing on the carfax or the dealer inspection that said anything about a paint job or any accidents. Sooooo the only thing i can think about is that the person who sold me my car lied about an accident and a paint job. I don't know if i should go back to the original dealer that inspected my car when i bought it because im afraid that they might just deny everything especially after i've had the car for 3 years now. what do you guys think? i could be wrong
Old 07-15-11, 06:28 PM
somatic
Rookie

It's too late dude. I'm sure half that sales department is gone by now. Car business has a high turnover rate, especially at dealerships that use deceptive tactics
Old 07-15-11, 06:31 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

what's to be afraid about??
Old 07-15-11, 06:32 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry to hear but I think you're S.O.L.
Old 07-15-11, 06:34 PM
VPIS350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, some times accidents don't show up in carfax, from what i have heard. Even my 06 has some spots where it seems there is damage but my records show nothing that could have caused it.
Old 07-15-11, 06:34 PM
Cybereye04
Rookie

yeah its super lame just thought id share my story.. and the dude who sold it to me was a lawyer...
Old 07-15-11, 06:35 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah sorry to hear but dealer not at fault on this if it been repainted. Best thing you can do is get it painted yourself and save the headache. Paint warranty i think is only for rust not peels.
Old 07-15-11, 06:39 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's possible that the previous owner wanted to repaint the bumper possibly due to a slight fender bender or scratch. For instance, I scratched and gouged the corner of my rear bumper when reversing out of the garage, so I had a vendor repaint that area for me, and that would not go on carfax. Anyhow, these paint reconditions that you pay out of pocket don't go on carfax. I believe if it goes through insurance, then it goes through carfax. So it's possible that the dealer never knew.

Last edited by Individual; 07-15-11 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-15-11, 06:44 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybereye04
So the the paint on my 2008 IS was peeling off my rear bumper and I went to the dealer to see what they could do and if it was still under warranty. After some inspections, the dealer told me that my car had been painted already so it was not Lexus paint and was not covered under the warranty. The only problem is that I never painted my car and I have never been in an accident. According to the dealer my whole right side was repainted. I got my car used in 2008, but there was nothing on the carfax or the dealer inspection that said anything about a paint job or any accidents. Sooooo the only thing i can think about is that the person who sold me my car lied about an accident and a paint job. I don't know if i should go back to the original dealer that inspected my car when i bought it because im afraid that they might just deny everything especially after i've had the car for 3 years now. what do you guys think? i could be wrong
Maybe your car just got keyed and they repainted all of the panels. That would be on the bright side.
Old 07-15-11, 06:46 PM
Cybereye04
Rookie

It's possible that the previous owner wanted to repaint the bumper possibly due to a slight fender bender or scratch. For instance, I scratched and gouged the corner of my rear bumper when reversing out of the garage, so I had a vendor repaint that area for me, and that would not go on carfax. Anyhow, these paint reconditions that you pay out of pocket don't go on carfax. I believe if it goes through insurance, then it goes through carfax. So it's possible that the dealer never knew.
hmm thats interesting i didnt think of that. Maybe i should just get it repainted and not worry about all this.. I thought i got cheated at first
Old 07-15-11, 06:49 PM
krava
Lead Lap

I have the same problem, I ran over a stupid bucket and the paint came off and then the dealer said this bumper has been repainted before, and no one said anything about it, going to cost me $1400 for a new bumper, repaint and a new fog light
Old 07-15-11, 07:01 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a shame how carfax has become so trusted. If only people really knew how over rated it is. I recommend that you just get t repaired by a reputable paint shop and call it a day.
Old 07-15-11, 08:06 PM
jnaval
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear that, alot of people don't report incidents, some do it specifically for resale too.
Old 07-15-11, 09:32 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Carfax only tells part of a car's history. I find the lexus service history much more informative, but again it probably wouldn't show body damage. In this case, an inspection by an independent mechanic would have likely revealed the repair work to the buyer.
Old 07-15-11, 09:40 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dang thats unfortunate

Quick Reply: got cheated..very upset