IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

6000 miles and my foot rest snapped off

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 08:13 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 6000 miles and my foot rest snapped off

Thank god it didnt happen while driving...it could have gotten wedged behind the brake VERY easily.

Is this a common problem?

Could I complain to lexus about the severity of the problem and the risks involved? Any chance that they would compensate for this - besides replacing the dead pedal, of course? How do I go about doing this formally?

(cars a lease)
Old 07-14-11, 08:17 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of anything like this ever happening. I've had 3 2nd gen IS's and never had this issue. Sure they will fix it free of charge as the car is under warranty. As far as compensation. What are you exactly looking for? The piece broke, nothing bad happened. Why would they compensate you? Seem likes you're just trying to get a free buck.
Old 07-14-11, 08:21 AM
FutureITR
Driver

You can definitely complain to them and i'm sure they will fix it easily since it's under warranty.
Compensation, they can argue that you're trying to pull a fast one as it's not an issue that you can prove you didn't do it.
Old 07-14-11, 08:23 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

I'm sure it'll get fixed under warranty.
Old 07-14-11, 08:42 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

well, if the thing broke off while i was driving, there is a good chance that it would have gotten stuck behind the pedal, most likely causing a crash. is this a free buck? maybe/maybe not.

its really not that far off from the brake pedal falling off. at least you would be able to brake the car by pushing on the brake lever, as opposed to having a freaking foot rest wedged behind it.
Old 07-14-11, 09:09 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kinda compensation you looking for? Of course they are gonna fix it for you unless you messed it up some how... honestly I think you would be doing to much asking for compensation. Afterall nothing happened.
Old 07-14-11, 09:13 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThermonMer
well, if the thing broke off while i was driving, there is a good chance that it would have gotten stuck behind the pedal, most likely causing a crash. is this a free buck? maybe/maybe not.

its really not that far off from the brake pedal falling off. at least you would be able to brake the car by pushing on the brake lever, as opposed to having a freaking foot rest wedged behind it.
I think you are unneccessarily overreacting. This is much different than the brake pedal falling off. Just because this came loose does not mean the brake pedal will do the same. Get it fixed for free and call it a day.
Old 07-14-11, 09:50 AM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThermonMer

That's equivilant to saying Tom's lettuce costs more than Bob's tomatoes, and you need compensation because it costs you more.
Old 07-14-11, 10:31 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Just saying that its unacceptable for a new luxury car to have things falling off in the drivers side footwell...these things should be more well secured
Old 07-14-11, 10:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had mine fixed twice now under warranty.

In neither case did it "break off" as in a huge chunk came loose though... just one or more clips securing the dead pedal area broke or came loose such that if you'd put your foot on it it "felt" loose and would make kind of a clicking noise.

The first time it came that way from the factory and was fixed at my 1k service. The second time happened with about 22k on the odometer and was fixed at my next dealer visit for the spring recall.

(these are the sport pedals if it makes any difference to folks)
Old 07-14-11, 10:44 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
In neither case did it "break off" as in a huge chunk came loose though... just one or more clips securing the dead pedal area broke or came loose such that if you'd put your foot on it it "felt" loose and would make kind of a clicking noise.
Interesting, mine does the same thing (clicks when you press it down) but I thought it was wear and tear - wouldn't this be a hard one to convince your dealer to replace under warranty? Its never really bugged me since its been doing this since I got my IS (thought it was normal if anything else), but if my CPO warranty will cover it then might as well.

As for OP, you didn't hit anything and suffer from trauma, so there will be no compensation - IF you did actually get involved into an accident due to the footrest then its debatable, emphasis on IF.
Old 07-14-11, 11:32 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
Interesting, mine does the same thing (clicks when you press it down) but I thought it was wear and tear - wouldn't this be a hard one to convince your dealer to replace under warranty? Its never really bugged me since its been doing this since I got my IS (thought it was normal if anything else), but if my CPO warranty will cover it then might as well.

As for OP, you didn't hit anything and suffer from trauma, so there will be no compensation - IF you did actually get involved into an accident due to the footrest then its debatable, emphasis on IF.
was never a problem either time to get them to fix it for me... at least under the factory warranty.

Wear and tear is stuff you expect to wear out. Brake pads, wiper blades, tires...

a piece bolted/snapped in place with no moving parts on the car isn't a wear part to my mind.

At least that's how I'd argue it if I'd needed to do anymore than say "this is broke, please fix under warranty"
Old 07-14-11, 11:51 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

if it makes a clicking noise then 1 of the 2 plastic clips is most likely snapped. .

mine was like that from the factory. eventually the other clip snapped as well.
Old 07-14-11, 12:00 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Ah hah! So others do have that awkward clicking/moving feeling on their dead pedal. I thought mine was special...LOL! Since I have the Sports Pkg, I can just remove the "dead pedal cover" and be able to access what needs to be replaced I assume?
Old 07-14-11, 12:08 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

the dead pedal is basically a plastic shell with two stems attached underneath. It is one consistent piece of plastic. each stem is about 6" long to reach down into a plug on the body frame. since the pedal and stems are one piece of plastic, any amount of weight on the dead pedal may cause the stems to bend, and eventually snap in half....so if you are hearing a clicking noise, then most likely one stem is snapped. the clicking you hear are the two broken halves of a stem hitting each other. once one stem is broken, the pedal will not remain at its intended level, and the other stem will probably snap as well.

it is really flimsy and poorly executed, if you ask me.

Last edited by ThermonMer; 07-14-11 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 6000 miles and my foot rest snapped off