IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS to an A5

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 01:15 PM
650IS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A5 sweet car especially the S5. The shifter on that thing is butter.
Old 07-12-11, 02:12 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A5 is sexy as hell

do they have the carbon buildup issues with direct injection though?
Old 07-12-11, 02:44 PM
kannon
Pole Position

I know they adjusted the valve timing on some of their engines to fix the carbon buildup. But I can't remember which engines they did that with. Also the a5 has the 2.0 tfsi instead of the older 2.0t fsi so the cam follower wearing out issue is not a problem.
Old 07-12-11, 03:30 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the a5 moonroof doesnt open. that was an immediate deal breaker for me.
Old 07-12-11, 05:19 PM
isdouble
Rookie

A5 is a sexy *** car. I loved the way A5's exterior and interior looked. Almost bought one before my IS350 F Sport. Took a short test drive and it felt fast due to the low RPM torque and all but I just couldn't spend $45k+ for a 211 hp car. Reliability is another thing to worry about as well. If you don't care about performance and is keeping it until the warranty expires, A5 is a damn good choice! Good luck with your search!
Old 07-12-11, 05:45 PM
JS858
Driver School Candidate

I love the Audi A5 and S5 in white is HOT!

The thing that keep me from getting an Audi is relaibility, for the price you pay the car should last a long time. I always wanted an Audi but Lexus offeres more bang for the buck and better gadgets!
Old 07-12-11, 06:00 PM
wntrwhte
Rookie

I had a white 2009 S5. It was a great car, but keeping up with the very expensive maintenance was too much for me and it was diminishing my enjoyment of the car.

Beautiful to look at and it was very fun to drive, but just too difficult.
Old 07-12-11, 09:59 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

The A5 is really a beautiful car. The curves on that thing is just pure sexyness.

My buddy has an A5 and it is just gorgeous.

pic of his ride
Attached Thumbnails IS to an A5-4444.jpg  
Old 07-13-11, 08:17 AM
IS3003o3
Pole Position

Imola RS5

Old 07-13-11, 08:33 AM
FutureITR
Driver

I came from an A4 2.0T and those engines are very troubling. I'd jump to a V6 version if you do get an Audi, but I've had multiple problems. Even little ones got annoying. I don't think I'll ever jump into one agian.
Old 07-13-11, 10:00 AM
wntrwhte
Rookie

Mine had a clutch issue (this MAY have been the driver, but I think it was more the person who installed the new clutch) where it had severe chatter issues.

The first one was slipping, the second one was worse, the third one was fine.

It also just had issues with random little switches and stuff just deciding to not work, which I normally wouldn't care about but that's a lot of money for a car where a switch doesn't work.
Old 07-13-11, 04:07 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Audi cars are slow and kills a lot of gas, not mentioning they are very unreliable. How do i know? My friend had a A4, it was crap.
Old 07-13-11, 04:30 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the Audi's are beautiful cars to "look" at. I have always loved the S4 and like the A5s too. But they just seem to have so many issues. And the S5 was not near as fast as I thought it would be. I think Lexus is a much more reliable car.
Old 07-13-11, 08:26 PM
warmcaram3
Rookie

If you want to "live for the moment", I'd say go with the A5 3.2 or S5. That car is definitely an eye magnet for both the ladies and gents. You will get plenty attention However, the cost of maintenance will be painful for the wallet.

The IS is more affordable, reliable, and a relief for the wallet.
Old 07-13-11, 09:21 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

The A5 is probably my next car as well... Could be talked into a BMW if the numbers lined up.
Overall the Lex is just not as fun to drive, both on the street and on the track. I want that fun back, and Japan just cant seem to get it right yet. I just came from an 05.5 A4 to the Lex, and have regretted the decision.

I think the A5 avoided the early 2.0l that was so troublesome, and the newer version should be a pretty good engine. Prior to that Audi ticked me off by refusing to address a know cam issue on all 05-08 2.0L engines. (just got a letter from Audi America saying they will now warranty the cam out to 125,000 miles, which is a sad testament to a company that ignored 6 years worth of destroyed engines and complaining customers to go by before taking action.)

Unlike the Lex, you will find a lot of mods that bring the performance up to very respectable levels indeed. They can cost a pretty penny though! Most chip the 2.0 within the first year. BTW, don't count on the gas mileage, as you tend to keep your foot into it a bit more than you think, however one other advantage is you can also run on standard grade gas. If Stasis (instead of APR) does the chips and mods, you keep your full factory warranty which is cool. You can actually buy a real shop manual and software to talk to every computer on board!
Reliability is an issue that always comes up, but I simply bought a zero detectable bumper to bumper for about $2500 and spent no more time worrying about it.
The most amazing feature I found with Audi was the ability to traverse from 60mph to 145mph with a car absolutely so stable you could do it with one hand on the wheel while holding a conversation with your passengers. 35 years of driving and I had never felt that before. Audi builds them to drive....
In all, Audi's 2.0 is an ok motor, but will not hold a candle to the renowned Mitsubishi 4G63 ( I have owed both). Audi needs lessons from Japan there... Carbon build up is an issue that adds another $250 a year in maintenance costs (BG44 cleaning once a year).

I agree with S6_4rings, Audizine is ok and I used it alot, but Quattroworld has the more mature crowd. Audiworld has a ton of documentation to sift through as well.

Speaking of RocketGuy3 judging people by the cars they own, I find the Lex has way too many pre-adolescents here that still haven't learned how to wear a ball cap correctly When "Slammed, VIP and DUB" are the common (and only) theme for a chassis, I know the IS was the wrong car for me. Looking to get out and back to the adult side of motoring.

If you can reach for the A5 now, go for it... I'll be behind you soon and look forward to seeing you at one of the many driving events!

V

Quick Reply: IS to an A5