IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS - Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 10:23 AM
krazedpgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS - Discount Tire

I recently just bought a set of TPMS sensors from OEWheelsllc for my IS250. I had Discount Tire in MN install them in a set of 2nd rims that I have. However, they told me that they were unable to set the sensors to the car. They attempted to three times with their scanning tool but was unsuccessful. They told me that I may have bought the wrong sensors for the car or its a dealer job.

Now, I've seached on the forums and people have said that they have had luck with Discount Tire successfully programming sensors. My question is if anyone has had success with Discount Tire on sensors they purchased from OEWheelsllc?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-11, 10:35 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

hmm how much is discount tire charging you? i got the same sensors as you did from oewheelsllc but got them programmed by lexus. When i was searching on the forums people said only few shops have the correct scanning tool. I suggest you go to lexus, my dealership charged me 1 hour of labor.
Old 07-08-11, 10:36 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

At first I thought OEWheelsllc was a member on CL, then I Googled them. LOL!

Well, I don't know much about the syncing process between the sensors the Lexus antennae...but perhaps the ones they sold you just don't work with the Lexus system? Did Discount Tire successfully install the sensors onto the wheels?

I had Discount Tire put new BFGs on my OE 18s and of course they didn't have any issues there.

Wish you luck in dealing with OEWheelsllc on the issue...I'm sure Discount Tire did everything in their power to get them to work for you.
Old 07-08-11, 10:48 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Most discount tire have the cheap scanner to reprogram one set pf sensor. They don't have what the dealer use to program a second set. Which mean taking it back to them every time you change your wheels. That why the charge $20.
Old 07-08-11, 11:29 AM
krazedpgt
Driver School Candidate

Sleek - Discount Tire charged me around $140. But this included mounting and balancing of two new tires ($30 each) that I needed to replaced, remounting and balancing the other two tires when installing the sensors ($10 each), tire disposal ($6), and the valve kit ($40) and taxes.

Gville - The ones I received had "Pacific" stamped on them. The model number was PA66-GF33
Old 07-08-11, 02:07 PM
hazmat
Rookie

I have the same exact scenario with them, I call OEWheelsllc first and make sure they were right (which it was) and then after puzzling for a while (almost call it quits) I call the scan tool manufacturer and explain the situation to them. Right away they told me lexus is a bit different than other cars which take an extra step which not many ppl knew. I went back and have discount tire talk to the technical support of the scan tool directly and walk them through it. My sensor is okay ever since.

I assume all discount tire uses the same tool and I couldn't remember the name on top of my head. Just FYI their scan tool cannot program to the second set of sensors in the computer instead it will overwrite the main one.

Hope you get it solve
Old 07-08-11, 05:54 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by krazedpgt
I recently just bought a set of TPMS sensors from OEWheelsllc for my IS250. I had Discount Tire in MN install them in a set of 2nd rims that I have. However, they told me that they were unable to set the sensors to the car. They attempted to three times with their scanning tool but was unsuccessful. They told me that I may have bought the wrong sensors for the car or its a dealer job.

Now, I've seached on the forums and people have said that they have had luck with Discount Tire successfully programming sensors. My question is if anyone has had success with Discount Tire on sensors they purchased from OEWheelsllc?

Thanks.
I doubt it's the sensors. I went to program my TPMS. I told them i want them set up as a 2nd set(summer wheels), but somehow they couldn't do it. They were only able to set them as the 1st set. I have OEM sensors btw.
Old 07-09-11, 06:43 AM
HamBurglar
Driver

I've tried to have Discount Tire reprogram TPMS sensors before with no luck, dealership is your best bet.
Try doing a search in the GS forum, there's alot of info on this especially if you are rolling +2 or +3 wheels nicely over inflated to protect your rim and make your ride feel coushier and want to readjust the PSI to a different warning level.
Old 07-09-11, 04:52 PM
krazedpgt
Driver School Candidate

I went to Discount tire again and they had no luck. I think Hazmat is right and they will be unable to do them as a 2nd pair. I was hoping to save some cash but I ended up just setting an appointment at a Lexus dealership to have it done (along with the apparent fuel line recall).

Thanks guys.
Old 07-09-11, 09:30 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

discount said they couldn't program the my sensors either i took it to evans tire and they did it within 5 min.
Old 07-09-11, 10:36 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of posts on the OEWheelsllc sensors and as far as I recall, all of them good. I have two sets, and had the local Toyota service advisor( a fellow Lex IS owner) load the sensors to my car without issues (both winter and summer rims)

V
Old 07-09-11, 11:23 PM
FutureITR
Driver

WHen it comes to Lexus/Toyotas, You have to take it to the dealer to reprogram those.
I used to work at Discount Tire and we were warned to never break one of those sensors because it was pain in the butt to replace. Reason why... They just can't simply do it. LOL
Old 07-10-11, 08:22 PM
LexusLifer
Rookie

Originally Posted by FutureITR
WHen it comes to Lexus/Toyotas, You have to take it to the dealer to reprogram those.
This used to be true 2+ years ago. Within the last couple of years, more and more tire companies are acquiring advanced scanning tools that ALLOW them to program and register new/uncalibrated TPMS sensors to Toyota/Lexus cars. I recently had this done without the techs having to dismount the tires from the wheels -- for free. The process takes all of 15 minutes. Having it done at a Lexus dealership is such a waste of money and time.

Do your research of enough reputable tire businesses and you will find someone who can do this for you. I have had no problems with my TPMS light coming on.
Old 01-03-20, 06:04 PM
Tajai7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Discount Tire can program the TPMS sensors if they have a Bartech scan tool

I had Discount Tire change out all 4 sensors on my 2006 IS250, after two OEM sensors finally failed after 13 years and the other 2 were weak on battery life. These were on my winter tires that I run as the '2nd' set of wheels. Initially, Discount Tire could not figure out how to get their generic sensors to write to the ECU. They would read on the scan tool, but the car would not read them. I left the shop with the warning light still on. I conducted the 'TPMS initialize' process or TPMS reset multiple times but the light remained on.

After reviewing these threads, I finally went back in after a couple of days to see if they had a better scan tool (i.e. Bartech 400). It turned out they did have a Bartech tool, but they didn't know that they needed to hold the 'initialize' button down for 3 seconds to get it to reset. They essentially just pushed the button and then ensured that it was set to the 2nd setting, but the lights stayed on.

After the guy initially checked the sensors with the scan tool to ensure that they were working, we then started the car up and I showed him how to 'initialize' the TPMS by holding the button down for 3 seconds until it beeped and the trouble light blinked and then selected the 2nd setting (the warning light was still on), then the guy hooked the Bartech (scan tool) cable up to the ECU and it found the new sensors. He set the location to the 2nd wheel setting on the tool (you have either Main or 2nd) and the TPMS light went off -- it ended up being that easy! 5 minutes and $0!
Old 01-03-20, 09:16 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not just go to a tire shop and have them swap them for you. My local shop does $35 a tire with sensors. If they have issues they can't blame the product since they're supplying it

Quick Reply: TPMS - Discount Tire