IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 01:18 AM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrbbq
the new lens look stupid imo.. Why don't they just replace the bubbling black coating with something more durable.
agreed -.-.
Old 12-04-11, 11:35 PM
kegleyb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's impossible. They would have to crack into each assembly to repair the bubbling problem, which would never work. Seems to me they have found the most cost effective way to fix the issue. The lights are fine. If your IS had come stock with the newer "eyelashes", this wouldn't even be a topic of conversation as you wouldn't have noticed a problem to begin with.
Old 12-05-11, 07:31 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

My new 12 has the new lights and I see what might be the start of the bubble starting on each side. I will have to watch this and see what happens. I will take pictures now and again in the future to see if it changes.
Jeff
Old 12-05-11, 07:37 AM
yangster
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgr7
My new 12 has the new lights and I see what might be the start of the bubble starting on each side. I will have to watch this and see what happens. I will take pictures now and again in the future to see if it changes.
Jeff
Oh great. Not what I wanted to hear. Now I might have to wait even longer before I get mine changed out. This should be interesting to see how the 12's play out!
Old 12-05-11, 08:24 AM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Anyone have an update on the TSB or at least different part numbers between 2011 to 2012?
Old 12-05-11, 08:27 AM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Originally Posted by jgr7
Jeff
Can you take a picture of what looks to be the start of this???
Old 12-05-11, 08:32 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2011 lights have no issues so far. I hope they stay fine.

I wonder if the opposite is true, if they get too cold and something happens to the same area compared to getting too hot !
Old 12-05-11, 08:49 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, just saw the underwhelming "solution" to this bubbling problem. So glad I didn't go through the trouble of upgrading to the new headlights.
Old 12-05-11, 09:13 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by kegleyb
That's impossible. They would have to crack into each assembly to repair the bubbling problem, which would never work. Seems to me they have found the most cost effective way to fix the issue. The lights are fine. If your IS had come stock with the newer "eyelashes", this wouldn't even be a topic of conversation as you wouldn't have noticed a problem to begin with.
Why is that impossible??

If a better painting process or material was used to prevent this "High Heat" Bubbling Defect... The new rippled lense would have not needed to be designed or created...

At this point the parts out there that are showing this defect, will never be repaired.. The entire housings will be replaced with this newly updated housing & lense... (for those who see & complain about it )

So Lexus wouldn't be cracking open to repair any of these to begin with.!!

I have personally seen many of these 2011 & 2012 Headlight Housings... Some show the defect greatly... Some show the defect minimally... Some do NOT show any defect what so ever..

My personally opinion is that during the painting process there must be some type of "Quality Control" fail that is slipping by the housing manufacturer and Lexus.
I have even seen some of these painted areas with paint drip marks too.

It might even be that when the Manufacturer HEATS the headlight components to merge together, the painted area can not withstand the heat in that curved area..

^^ This is purely an opinion, since we already have another case of this issue with the newly desgined lense.. :

Regards,

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 12-05-11 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-05-11, 09:37 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks their solution didn't work. Hope it didn't cost to much money to R&D that new lens
Old 12-05-11, 03:25 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

I went to the dealership today to pick up a couple clips and checked out the 2012's to see the new lights. All the 2012's had then on...the definitely have a new glossy black paint instead of the flat black on the 2011's. Also, none of them showed any signs of having bubbling starting. To me, the eye lashes don't look AS bad in person.
Old 12-05-11, 04:01 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PJJames
I went to the dealership today to pick up a couple clips and checked out the 2012's to see the new lights. All the 2012's had then on...the definitely have a new glossy black paint instead of the flat black on the 2011's. Also, none of them showed any signs of having bubbling starting. To me, the eye lashes don't look AS bad in person.
That's probably because most of them are brand new and really haven't been driven around and exposed to the sun. If the issue is still happening on the '12s, i'm sure it will reappear after having driven the car a bit and having it exposed to the sun.
Old 12-05-11, 04:12 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
That's probably because most of them are brand new and really haven't been driven around and exposed to the sun. If the issue is still happening on the '12s, i'm sure it will reappear after having driven the car a bit and having it exposed to the sun.
We'll see. I noticed my first 2011 had bubbles at about 100 miles...so it probably began earlier and my F-Sport had it when I took delivery at 60 miles...it doesn't take much. I'm trying to hold faith in these new lights.
Old 12-05-11, 07:30 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PJJames
Can you take a picture of what looks to be the start of this???
I tried to take a picture this morning but there was to much glare I will try again when I have more time to try different angles and lighting
Old 12-05-11, 11:08 PM
kegleyb
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Why is that impossible??

If a better painting process or material was used to prevent this "High Heat" Bubbling Defect... The new rippled lense would have not needed to be designed or created...

At this point the parts out there that are showing this defect, will never be repaired.. The entire housings will be replaced with this newly updated housing & lense... (for those who see & complain about it )

So Lexus wouldn't be cracking open to repair any of these to begin with.!!

I have personally seen many of these 2011 & 2012 Headlight Housings... Some show the defect greatly... Some show the defect minimally... Some do NOT show any defect what so ever..

My personally opinion is that during the painting process there must be some type of "Quality Control" fail that is slipping by the housing manufacturer and Lexus.
I have even seen some of these painted areas with paint drip marks too.

It might even be that when the Manufacturer HEATS the headlight components to merge together, the painted area can not withstand the heat in that curved area..

^^ This is purely an opinion, since we already have another case of this issue with the newly desgined lense.. :

Regards,

~ Joe Z
Good points. I just meant that they would never fix the problem without replacing the entire housing. I agree, they need an entirely new system of material inside the light to begin with. Mine aren't bad, you really have to look to see an issue.

I will, however, gladly take a new set.

Quick Reply: 2011 Headlamp Bubbling Defect