IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250/350 winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 07:20 PM
redmethods
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IS 250/350 winter driving

Hello all, I'm looking at buying a IS250 or 350. I was wondering if I got the RWD, how would it be for driving in the snow or on ice roads?

Also how is the AWD IS250 in the winter?

Thank
Old 06-27-11, 07:29 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you plan on driving in snow or icy roads, the IS250 or IS350 AWD can save you some headaches. Many people can apparently get around in snow with RWD but you'll need some winter or all-season tires that are in good condition with lots of thread left. I've only been driving for a year and got an IS350 RWD was my first car. The very first snow fall, I was stuck trying to get into my garage with only 2 inches of snow. I did have snow tires but at 4/32 remaining when 6/32 is recommended as well as my trunk completely empty. The wide rear tires are also a bad thing. My friend has an IS250 AWD with the factory summer tires and he had less problems than I did with my IS350 RWD with snow tires. However, AWD will still get you stuck at times but is definitely better than RWD if you live in a place that will get snow. Plus, no real need to use snow tires with AWD, all-seasons will suffice in most cases.
Old 06-27-11, 07:52 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

^^^ that's one rational response... u should post in awd vs rwd thread lol
Old 06-27-11, 07:53 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The IS250 RWD is precisely that - rear wheel drive. They are not the best in snow (regardless of "traction control") but they are no worse than a BMW. Note that the AWD still has a rear wheel bias so while its better than a RWD, it's not a true 4WD.
Old 06-27-11, 08:21 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

To say the least, I think I would have had much less problems if I had AWD in the winter time. The countless times I was stuck in the ally, especially since Chicago had a blizzard this year, I could have gotten out much more easily. Here's some examples, on the highway, Lake Shore Drive, in Chicago has traffic lights. At times, when I accelerate, the back of my car swings or fish tails, if the front wheels were moving, my car could have been more stable. Other AWD cars were going like 50+ MPH in heavy snow and wind, almost invisible with all the snow and wind flying up from the fast pace while I'm going 20 to prevent the rear wheels spinning out. Stuck in the ally, my back tires spin out while the front are stuck with a wall of snow in front of them. If I had AWD or even FWD, I could have easily climbed over rather the snow than having to shovel for 15 minutes or so.
Old 06-27-11, 08:25 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I prefer my 350rwd then the awd250. Good set off snow tire, traction off and sports mode I'm good. The fact is after it's snows few hrs later the street are plowed. So your left with a bit of snow if anything left. The roads are not covered with snow 24/7 during winter time. But your driving skill and confidence helps.

Last edited by laobo979; 06-27-11 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-27-11, 08:40 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

IBTKurtz.....
Old 06-27-11, 08:53 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
Plus, no real need to use snow tires with AWD, all-seasons will suffice in most cases.
this is something I think the majority of people will disagree with. You should still get snow tires if there's snow, all season tires do not really work for anything.

OP, get RWD and purchase a set of snow tires. The tires will be cheaper than having to maintain an AWD system year round. However, I am not familiar with your area, so if you get snow more than 6 months year round, then consider the AWD.
Old 06-27-11, 09:11 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Almost everyone I know personally don't even use snow tires here in Chicago. The majority of people have all-seasons and don't care about using the proper tires or even spending $200+ per tire just for 3 months per year. My brother drives his '01 Civic with all-seasons, no issues at all, same with my sister with an '06 MDX with AWD. Going back to the kid I know with summer tires on his IS250 AWD, he came to school everyday during the winter with it and didn't have issues, so I don't see why need to swap tires with winter ones when he got around safely with summers on. Yeah, snow/winter tires may offer better traction, stopping distance, and summer tires in the winter can be dangerous. But most people can use common sense and drive slowly , allow more time, and brake earlier so really no urgent need for snow tires when they will only be on for 3 months here where I live.
Old 06-27-11, 09:13 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

OP, I take my IS250 RWD 6M through the mountains to ski all winter. I've got some studded winter tires on it and I have not had a problem yet after two very heavy snow seasons in the Canadian Rockies. Yes, you need to be congnescent of what you're doing behind the wheel, but I've had no problems in over 6" of snow and slush.

Also, driving in a city where there's plows and salted/graveled roads is one thing. Driving in the country where's the roads aren't plowed before your commute is another. Think about how much snow you normally face in the winter and make your decision on that. That being said, the RWD IS's are more than capable with a good set of winters and an experienced driver.

EDIT,

Just read you're from Alberta. I didn't get stuck once this winter, even on the heavy powder days up in Sunshine and Revelstoke

Last edited by busdepot; 06-27-11 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-27-11, 09:15 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by edgeucated
this is something I think the majority of people will disagree with. You should still get snow tires if there's snow, all season tires do not really work for anything.

OP, get RWD and purchase a set of snow tires. The tires will be cheaper than having to maintain an AWD system year round. However, I am not familiar with your area, so if you get snow more than 6 months year round, then consider the AWD.
We'll see, I'm planning on getting rid of my Blizzaks for DWS All-Seasons and I'll see. Lots of people with this all-season says it's good enough to replace snows, just read the reviews. All-seasons were made for people who experience both warm and cold weather. Obviously, they aren't as good as summer tires or as winters but for people who have short winters, snow here and there, all-seasons are good enough and not worth the hassle and cost to swap tires out.
Old 06-27-11, 09:24 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chi123
We'll see, I'm planning on getting rid of my Blizzaks for DWS All-Seasons and I'll see. Lots of people with this all-season says it's good enough to replace snows, just read the reviews. All-seasons were made for people who experience both warm and cold weather. Obviously, they aren't as good as summer tires or as winters but for people who have short winters, snow here and there, all-seasons are good enough and not worth the hassle and cost to swap tires out.
All seasons suck in all seasons. While it may be more economical to just have a single set of tires for the whole year, many owners run aftermarket wheels. 19's with stretched rubber doesn't help on ice. Having a dedicated set of winters and summers is always worth it if you live anywhere that has icy roads.
Old 06-27-11, 09:34 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by busdepot
All seasons suck in all seasons. While it may be more economical to just have a single set of tires for the whole year, many owners run aftermarket wheels. 19's with stretched rubber doesn't help on ice. Having a dedicated set of winters and summers is always worth it if you live anywhere that has icy roads.
That is true, but I'm a kid in college without money to spend on tires. People here probably have a set of aftermarket wheels to use in the summer and the stocks for winter but a huge majority don't have aftermarket wheels. All the people with "regular" cars don't have aftermarket wheels and most cars from factory come with all-seasons. Most just use what tires came regardless from factory and replace with whatever they want afterwards.

If I ever save enough for aftermarket wheels, yeah, I'll use summers on those and use winters on the stocks to get the best but I'm making my judgement based on stock wheels. I'm going all-season since it'll be a hassle needing to visit the tire place every time to swap out tires. If I had two sets, I can easily do that at home and wouldn't mind the half hour of work changing the wheels out.
Old 06-27-11, 10:10 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Hang in there, being a starving student in a Lexus isn't the worst spot to be in. And if you're in school, the paper will flow soon enough.
Old 06-27-11, 11:01 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, that's what I was going to say.

College student without money and has a Lexus? Does not make sense to me knowing the same money needs to be in higher priorities first before looking at a Lexus. Sort of meaningless once people know other information but they would not say this in front of you.

More like asian kids or young adults (yes I am asian myself), seeing lots of people in the Vancouver area driving BMWs/Lexus/Mecedies and all the other nice cars. I already know off my head, they a good amount of them did not get it themselves, but it was because their parents help them get the car because they are loaded. In those cases I do understand why the do this (they care for their kids) but at the same time, it is sort of spoiling them.

As I mentioned before, I know a 17 year old girl who drives a new BMW... She didn't buy it, it was her dad.

When I was in college, my car? My mom's 95 Toyota Corolla then switched to a 99 Solara Camry from my dad.

Last edited by Sango; 06-27-11 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply: IS 250/350 winter driving