IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Muteki Lug Nuts safe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-11, 07:44 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muteki Lug Nuts safe?

So i just purchased a set of Work Emotion 11R and bought muteki lug nuts with them (having no knowledge in lug nuts) I searched them up today and saw that one of our members had their wheels stolen while he had muteki lug nuts on. Now im freaking out....I spent the rest of my mod money on this investment and would die if my wheels got stolen. I know that they have a key but should i return them and get work lug nuts? Would this be a better security lug nut? I go to school in Queens and dont really feel comfortable after hearing this news
Old 06-22-11, 07:49 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

ive used them on several of my previous rides, honda's & acura's and had no problems, i definately reccomend them.
Old 06-22-11, 07:50 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter what you put on them, If someone wants them their gonna get them...!
Wheel locks are for HONEST people
Old 06-22-11, 07:54 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
ive used them on several of my previous rides, honda's & acura's and had no problems, i definately reccomend them.
I believe the quality is good but your in florida and im gonna be in NY, so im a bit nervous about that...

Originally Posted by Silver10
No matter what you put on them, If someone wants them their gonna get them...!
Wheel locks are for HONEST people
I dont really understand the difference between a key and a lock a lock just sounds better. do all the muteki use the same wheel key? and do all work lug nuts use the same lock? can someone shed some light on the difference in terms of security?
Old 06-22-11, 08:08 PM
Trza
Pole Position

Theives are smart, its already been said, if someone really wants ur wheels they'll get them. Locks and keys are definitely going to help, but again, if a person has access to multiple keys your wheels are gone.

I have Muteki lugs and im not sure how many sets of diff keys there are, but I can tell you mine start in the double digits. Best you can do is deter the theif by having locks, and if u are ultra paranoid or park ur car on the streets mostly, then get 2 sets of different locks and keys? Hope this helps
Old 06-22-11, 08:21 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Trza
Theives are smart, its already been said, if someone really wants ur wheels they'll get them. Locks and keys are definitely going to help, but again, if a person has access to multiple keys your wheels are gone.

I have Muteki lugs and im not sure how many sets of diff keys there are, but I can tell you mine start in the double digits. Best you can do is deter the theif by having locks, and if u are ultra paranoid or park ur car on the streets mostly, then get 2 sets of different locks and keys? Hope this helps
yea i understand that nothing is impenetrable, but can anyone with a muteki key loosen any other muteki lug? are you sure there are different sets of keys? and what do you mean yours start in the double digits? sorry im new to this stuff...
Old 06-22-11, 09:02 PM
100degrees
Pole Position

Most muteki lugs dont come with locks. The lock set is like $40 additional. Even with the lock set, I'm sure other keys can open it. If they want it, they'll get it. As long as you don't leave the car anywhere sketchy over night, you should be fine.
Old 06-22-11, 09:23 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some Muteki Lugs are different and need keys but all the keys are basically the same. So if a standard socket aren't used, the key used are all the same for those lugs. What I mean by key is the thing the socket goes into and onto the lug. Locks aren't any different either. My fried lost his wheel lock key and wanted to paint his wheels, so I decided to try my lock key on his locks and guess what? Perfect match. Even the factory Lexus wheel locks from McGaurd only have I think 7 or so different combinations? No wheel lock keys are unique.
Old 06-22-11, 09:31 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chi123
Some Muteki Lugs are different and need keys but all the keys are basically the same. So if a standard socket aren't used, the key used are all the same for those lugs. What I mean by key is the thing the socket goes into and onto the lug. Locks aren't any different either. My fried lost his wheel lock key and wanted to paint his wheels, so I decided to try my lock key on his locks and guess what? Perfect match. Even the factory Lexus wheel locks from McGaurd only have I think 7 or so different combinations? No wheel lock keys are unique.
hmm so what is the difference if i buy the additional wheel lock for $40? is that wheel lock the same as all the other muteki wheel locks? I just want to feel more secure with my wheels. I work in a ghetto area and i go to school in a semi ghetto area.
Old 06-22-11, 11:11 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

i currently have muteki open-ended lug nuts and i purchased a set of muteki locks as well. before these lug nuts i had work lug nuts and one of them stripped. IMO the quality on the mutekis is better than the works and that's based on experience

Last edited by UtoyZ; 06-22-11 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-22-11, 11:30 PM
ChaseMX
Driver School Candidate

If someone wants to steal your wheels bad enough.. they'll find a way to do it. I've never had any problems with the Muteki lugs although I've only ran them on one of my previous cars. I'd say they're as "safe" as any other lug nut you can buy.
Old 06-23-11, 12:11 AM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

muteki lugs can be easily taken off. my project kics key worked on them so im sure if any one has a 17mm key theyll use it or just a socket. wish u luck but if ur trying to keep ur wheels safe muteki should not be ur first option
Old 06-23-11, 12:23 AM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For one of my past rides, I had them on the car from the previous owner. He didn't give me the key for the lock so I bought it to my uncle's shop. He took a socket about a a little bigger than the lock and hammered it in then twisted it off. :S What I'm trying to say is that anything could be taken if they want it XD
Old 06-23-11, 06:44 AM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LILDANTE79
muteki lugs can be easily taken off. my project kics key worked on them so im sure if any one has a 17mm key theyll use it or just a socket. wish u luck but if ur trying to keep ur wheels safe muteki should not be ur first option
^^same thing as: my muteki 17mm key can take off your project kics lug nuts. how about my tire wrench can take off somebody else's oem lug nuts. that's why you gotta have a lock.

to the OP: nothing wrong with mutekis, just purchase a set of locks
Old 06-23-11, 04:03 PM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by myMRMis350
^^same thing as: my muteki 17mm key can take off your project kics lug nuts. how about my tire wrench can take off somebody else's oem lug nuts. that's why you gotta have a lock.

to the OP: nothing wrong with mutekis, just purchase a set of locks
i have the lock set and i still get worried. im scared they might take my lugs instead

Quick Reply: Muteki Lug Nuts safe?