IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New 2011 IS250 F-Sport or Used 2008 IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 06:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MiiK350
Especially when the sales man that told you it has luxury and sports pkg is lying because by 08 the sport pkg was replaced by the X-Pkg.
Uh... what?

No it wasn't.

The sport package and X package are completely different, mutually exclusive, option packages.

Both were offered in 2008. (and 2007, and 2009, for that matter).

Lemme try and make this simple... in 2008 you could get the following as packages... You could only get ONE of these.

Premium Package:

Woodgrain

Perforated heated and vented seats.

Luxury Package:

Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column
Lexus Memory System to control seats (except lumbar), outside mirrors and steering wheel
Electrochromic (auto-dimming) outside mirrors with auto tilt-down in reverse
Perforated Heated and ventilated front seats
Bi-Xenon™ High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps (with AFS)
Rain-sensing intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle
18" wheels
Illuminated door-sill scuff plates
Woodgrain interior trim
Power rear sunshade

Sport Package:

EXACTLY the same stuff as the luxury package except:

You did NOT get:

Woodgrain interior trim
Power rear sunshade

But instead you DID get:

Aluminum door-sill scuff plates
Sport pedals
Sport suspension (different shocks and springs)

Pick one... you can't have more than one.

There was a last, fourth, package.... the X package... the only reason it's not with the other 3 is you COULD get it along with one of the above (the premium package only, not with either of the other two).

The X package was:

Sport suspension (shocks and springs)
Sport pedals
Illuminated scuff plates
Front lip spoiler
SPECIAL 18" wheels that only came with this package
OPTIONAL- No Sunroof. (you could get the X package with or without sunroof... this was the only was to get a no-sunroof 2IS in the US sadly)

Everything else (nav, headlamp washers, mark levinson, PCS, PA, etc ) are standalone options unrelated to any of the above packages.

To be even more clear they were available as follows (on the RWD 350 anyway):

Luxury package: 2006-2011 (though in 2011 you lost the memory on the passenger side and the HIDs now come with LED DRLS but no AFS)

Sport package: 2006-2010. In 2011 it's replaced with the much inferior F-sport package.

X package: 2007-2009. (not replaced with anything- though arguably the F-sport package is closer to it than the sport package)

Premium package: 2006-2011

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-21-11 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-21-11, 06:27 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

350 hands down
Old 06-21-11, 06:43 PM
yoegster
Driver

F-Sport and 250 shouldn't be used in the same sentence. You are only feeling a bit more power from the Exhaust and the Intake. It is still slow car. Buy the 350, like I did and slowly add F-Sport accessories. Wheels first, intake, exhaust, sway, take your time. Then you will have F-Sport accessories with a sports engine.
Old 06-21-11, 07:17 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yoegster
F-Sport and 250 shouldn't be used in the same sentence. You are only feeling a bit more power from the Exhaust and the Intake. It is still slow car. Buy the 350, like I did and slowly add F-Sport accessories. Wheels first, intake, exhaust, sway, take your time. Then you will have F-Sport accessories with a sports engine.
He's not even feeling that as the F-sport package doesn't include either thing.

The F-sport package is an appearance package for the most part, with the sport suspension thrown in. It doesn't add any performance parts as far as more hp.
Old 06-22-11, 12:35 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by yoegster
F-Sport model and F-Sport accessories are mutually exclusive. The F-Sport model is mostly an appearance package.

Jeff
Old 06-22-11, 02:12 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brand New car depreciates very fast for the first few years. IS350 would be a wiser choice financially and power-wise.
Old 06-22-11, 07:10 AM
Chow
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It can't have both. It's physically impossible.

And the sport package includes a ton more items than the ones you list.

For example the luxury package has woodgrain. The sport package has aluminum trim. You can't have both at the same time.

Likewise, the lux package has illuminated scuff plates. The sport package has aluminum scuff plates. You can't have both at the same time.

If your dealer says it has both he is either lying or grossly incompetent at knowing his own cars (possibly both).

About 90% of the features on the two packages are exactly the same, so it'd be idiotic to pay for "both" packages even if it were possible (which, again, it's really not)... and half of what is left is mutually exclusive from each other.

If it has memory seats and aluminum trim it has the sport package and does not have the luxury package.

If it has memory seats and woodgrain it has the luxury package and does not have the sport package.

You can't get both on the same car. Really.

(and if it doesn't have memory seats it doesn't have either package)

Oh, and the headlight washers and the rear view camera have nothing at all to do with either package. The washers are a totally standalone option, and the camera is built into the nav system (which is ALSO a standalone option having nothing to do with the lux or sport package.

ANYWAY... on the warranty issue, the 350 should still be under warranty with that mileage (no 2008 is past the 4 year mark until September of this year)... which means you can easily add Lexus extended warranty (again- do NOT get it from your local dealer... the dealers who sell to the online folks like Jerry, Troy, or Toby, will be a lot cheaper for the same thing)... so that's a non-issue.
Well when I say both packages, it really is just the sport package. Yes the sport package has all of the lux items except for the few changes.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Uh... what?

No it wasn't.

The sport package and X package are completely different, mutually exclusive, option packages.

Both were offered in 2008. (and 2007, and 2009, for that matter).

Lemme try and make this simple... in 2008 you could get the following as packages... You could only get ONE of these.

Premium Package:

Woodgrain

Perforated heated and vented seats.

Luxury Package:

Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column
Lexus Memory System to control seats (except lumbar), outside mirrors and steering wheel
Electrochromic (auto-dimming) outside mirrors with auto tilt-down in reverse
Perforated Heated and ventilated front seats
Bi-Xenon™ High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps (with AFS)
Rain-sensing intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle
18" wheels
Woodgrain interior trim
Power rear sunshade

Sport Package:

EXACTLY the same stuff as the luxury package except:

You did NOT get:

Woodgrain interior trim
Power rear sunshade

But instead you DID get:

Aluminum door-sill scuff plates
Sport pedals
Sport suspension (different shocks and springs)

Pick one... you can't have more than one.

There was a last, fourth, package.... the X package... the only reason it's not with the other 3 is you COULD get it along with one of the above (the premium package only, not with either of the other two).

The X package was:

Sport suspension (shocks and springs)
Sport pedals
Illuminated scuff plates
Front lip spoiler
SPECIAL 18" wheels that only came with this package
OPTIONAL- No Sunroof. (you could get the X package with or without sunroof... this was the only was to get a no-sunroof 2IS in the US sadly)

Everything else (nav, headlamp washers, mark levinson, PCS, PA, etc ) are standalone options unrelated to any of the above packages.

To be even more clear they were available as follows (on the RWD 350 anyway):

Luxury package: 2006-2011 (though in 2011 you lost the memory on the passenger side and the HIDs now come with LED DRLS but no AFS)

Sport package: 2006-2010. In 2011 it's replaced with the much inferior F-sport package.

X package: 2007-2009. (not replaced with anything- though arguably the F-sport package is closer to it than the sport package)

Premium package: 2006-2011
Thanks for sharing the packages. The used IS350 has the sports package and is still in warranty for over a year. Do you guys think I should get an extended warranty if I go used and what are the cost like? $2500-$3000?
Old 06-22-11, 07:19 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Get the 350!!!

Also, if you dont like the color on the 250 dont get it if you might regret it!
Old 06-22-11, 07:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chow
Thanks for sharing the packages. The used IS350 has the sports package and is still in warranty for over a year. Do you guys think I should get an extended warranty if I go used and what are the cost like? $2500-$3000?

I do...Lexus parts are insanely expensive...and while the "big stuff" like engine and transmission should be highly reliable the goofiest little stuff will cost as much to fix as the warranty...

The fading dash needles for example... $1000+ repair, and not that uncommon on cars once they hit 4-5 years old... folks who have had the touchscreen on the nav go out to the tune of a $2500 repair... etc...

I paid around $1400 for my warranty... platinum VSA, $0 deductible, for 8 years/75k miles, since I don't put a ton of miles on the car. (note that's total, not on top of the 4/50... so I got 4 years and 25k miles of extra warranty)

You can get the same thing to 100 or 125k for more $ if you think you'll put more miles on it...or only add 2-3 years if you don't plan to keep the car superlong... that's what you'd have to figure out.

Note- the warranty also transfers to the next owner, so IMHO you'll get at least 1-2k more on resale too, also paying for itself, if you can sell the car being 6 or 7 years old and STILL having virtually full warranty on it for another year or two.

As I mentioned, contact one the online guys for a quote... your local dealer will likely be 50-100% higher for the exact same thing.

Jerry Johnson, Troy Dietrich, and Toby Rivers... do a search on any of the names and you should find contact info....Jerry Johnson had the lowest prices of the 3 when I priced them out and is who I went with.
Old 06-22-11, 11:37 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you at all car about power/performance, buy a 350. You won't be happy with a 250. If you don't value power, save money and buy a 250.

I always buy used because you don't take the depreciation hit of driving a brand new car off the lot. Unless you can get a great deal, if you're looking at a 250, I'd recommend looking at a very lightly used one vs. a brand new one for exactly this reason. All the benefits of a new car, far less depreciation.

Check out this thread to help you decide on which model, as well as know what to look for in used 2IS. It also includes a full discussion and explanation of Lexus warranties: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

I highly recommend the extended warranty. I'd buy CPO if you can, otherwise just buy a Platinum VSA when you buy the car (but NOT from the selling dealership - buy it from one of the people Kurtz listed above, since they have better prices). No matter what the dealer says, you DON'T have to buy the warranty from the same dealership you bought the car from.