IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Took my F-Sport in for its 1st service today.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 07:08 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Took my F-Sport in for its 1st service today.....

So my maintence required soon light came on over the weekend, the car is a 2011 is250 f-sport with approx 4600 miles. i called my local dealer JM Lexus today and i was able to get an appointments for after work, they had the car for about 30-40 min. and most of that was them washing & vaccuming my alrdy clean car, im just tryn to figure out what the hell kinda service they did in 20 min, it was free/complimentary but i honestly dont feel like they changed the oil or anything, maybe they checked the tire pressure but thats about it..the cashier i picked up my keys from said they changed the oil, but i dont think so, plus i hear these 2011 Lexus's use synthetic and only require oil changes everything 7k to 10k.
Old 06-07-11, 07:29 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm strange, another member here who also has a 2011 250 said the exact same thing o.o.

Wonder would it be different For the 2011 350.
Should be taking my car in for service in mid july
Old 06-07-11, 07:33 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah... sometimes a quick service will make you wonder if they did anything to the car. i had a similar experience when they performed the fuel tightening recall. fast service suppose to be a good thing, and ill give them the benefit of the doubt. if anything happens, i am ready to seek legal actions. it's just business.
Old 06-07-11, 09:34 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll be bringing mine in around early August for the free 5000 miles / 6 months service according to the maintenance book so I'll see how that goes. While they're at it, I want them to look at the stiching on the driver's seat too which is getting fuzzy and worn.
Old 06-08-11, 03:32 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

^^ yea that seems to be a common problem with the seat stichting, mine still looks pretty good tho.
Old 06-08-11, 06:21 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if my IS was part of a batch of IS F-Sport cars with bad stitching. On this board, it sounds like only Superbrino and myself have the problem so I don't know how common it is. I've only had mine for four months and not even 5000 miles. You're lucky yours is still good!
Old 06-08-11, 09:00 PM
Fsport350
Driver

I'm bringing mine in this Saturday, I have approx 4900 miles on it now. I asked about synthetic oil and it's an extra fee of $47 to use synthetic The complimentary oil change includes only regular oil and oil filter.

I want to ask if I can watch them perform the oil change... wonder if they will let me do that? I do my own oil changes and I've seen the DIY thread but I have some questions and not clear on some things.

About that stitching, mine is perfectly fine... no fuzz.
Old 06-08-11, 09:05 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

^^ thats crazy that the car would come with synthetic and they would jus switch to regular oil without notifying the owner. thats jus wrong.
Old 06-09-11, 02:50 AM
DAZ1
Rookie

Doesn't take oil long to darken in color after use. Check the dipstick level and color of oil prior to taking to dealer and once the service is complete. You should notice a difference in color if the oil was actually changed. Check to make sure it's NOT overfilled.
Old 06-09-11, 07:16 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm silly to where I always ask beforehand to save the filter because I want to see it.

Why? Well, I tell them it's because I want to see if there is any residue inside. I usually will feel around in there to see if there's grit (metal).
Old 06-09-11, 10:51 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

If your unsure watch em. My dealership has a big window to the service shop and the guy I have work on my car is visible throught it. I don't normally watch em though. Only when I'm gettin parts installed and excited to get the car back lol. Untill the dealership I frequent screws me I have no reason not to trust em. In fact they made an exception for me this past Saturday.

I'm pretty sure the 5k service is jus an oil change which doesent take very long so 20min sounds good to me.
Old 06-09-11, 11:06 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

JM Lexus' quick service bays don't use lifts, they have underground pits. A tech working in the pit can have the oil drain plug out before the porter even gets out of the car. Also, JM Lexus is one of the few dealers I've ever worked at that uses multiple techs on a single car. 20 minutes? It really took that long?
Old 06-09-11, 01:56 PM
kurency
Rookie

i called my dealer - Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys. I have 4600 miles and it was due for its first service. I asked them if i they can give me oil and filter and i would do it myself. They said that at 5k miles, they do not change the oil (they change it at 10k) - so that's why it was probably done so quick. They just "check" it and "check" other fluids. at 5k miles, there isnt really anything to do. So basically its just a 5k miles car wash.
Old 06-09-11, 03:18 PM
xjonmo
Driver School Candidate

First service at 1k is free. They do an "inspection"

Second service is at 5k. Basically an oil change and tire rotation if applicable.

Both are free
Old 06-09-11, 03:54 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kurency
i called my dealer - Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys. I have 4600 miles and it was due for its first service. I asked them if i they can give me oil and filter and i would do it myself. They said that at 5k miles, they do not change the oil (they change it at 10k) - so that's why it was probably done so quick. They just "check" it and "check" other fluids. at 5k miles, there isnt really anything to do. So basically its just a 5k miles car wash.
i wonder why my dealer lied to me about doing it, i feel like i was jus there for a car wash.

Quick Reply: Took my F-Sport in for its 1st service today.....