IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New member here! (some questions)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 12:30 PM
149MAX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member here! (some questions)

Hello everyone! And also holla to any of the other GTA (Toronto) members!

I am a proud owner of a black on black 2008 IS 350, fully loaded lux package with navi, ML, headlight washers blah blah. I purchased it from my local lexus dealership, because an excellent deal I was given (IMHO of course).

The dealer said the Bridgestone Blizzaks are among the best, so my question is how much truth is in that? And assuming normal wear/usage how many seasons could I get out of them? I have not actually had a chance to inspect the winters as the dealer just threw them in a deal and I did not pick up the car yet. Additionally, the rims are mounted on summers right now and they're 18" I believe, but from what I was told the IS 350 has larger rear wheels than the front? Not exactly sure what that means, if someone could clarify. Our canadian winters can be kinda rough lol.. and I will be working throughout the year, with an average of 100kms a day on the highways, so safety from good snows would definitely be required.

And as for the future, I will definitely be looking into tinting the car, possibly 20% all around? I will also be looking into JDM visors and the sport pedals, as the normal black ones are kinda ugly lol. Further down the line, I definitely be looking at the F-sport mods (?) the F drop? Not exactly too sure yet, as I'm not even that far yet haha.

If anybody has any other suggestions for mods or what I should do with the car do chip in as I'm still quite new to the car and its modding scene.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by 149MAX; 06-01-13 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 02:50 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Def do all the lighting mods you can. It is a night and day difference. Hid fogs and leds for the interior are a must!
Old 06-01-11, 03:03 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 149MAX
Additionally, the rims are mounted on summers right now and they're 18" I believe, but from what I was told the IS 350 has larger rear wheels than the front? Not exactly sure what that means, if someone could clarify.
it means that the rear wheels are wider than the front wheels (staggered: rear width > front width).

given that you have oem 18's, they're 18 x 8 up front, 18 x 8.5 in the rear.
Old 06-01-11, 03:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

welcome post pics!!
Old 06-01-11, 03:53 PM
149MAX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mjh09e
Def do all the lighting mods you can. It is a night and day difference. Hid fogs and leds for the interior are a must!
Thanks, I actually didn't look too might into lighting, but now I definitely will put those at the top of my list. However, mine is the luxury package, and it says they're "Bi-Xenon HID headlamps" .. so does that mean they're already HID? Sorry if I'm wrong, but what kind of difference is there between the factory HIDs and aftermarket?

Originally Posted by projectdna
it means that the rear wheels are wider than the front wheels (staggered: rear width > front width).

given that you have oem 18's, they're 18 x 8 up front, 18 x 8.5 in the rear.
Thanks for the explanation, now it makes sense when you say staggered.
Old 06-01-11, 04:11 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks, I actually didn't look too might into lighting, but now I definitely will put those at the top of my list. However, mine is the luxury package, and it says they're "Bi-Xenon HID headlamps" .. so does that mean they're already HID? Sorry if I'm wrong, but what kind of difference is there between the factory HIDs and aftermarket?
that means your 2is is equipped with HID's from the factory.

however, if your 2is was equipped with halogens from the factory, you'd have to buy and install an aftermarket HID kit to get HID lighting.

Thanks for the explanation, now it makes sense when you say staggered.
you're welcome.
Old 06-01-11, 04:39 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Hey welcome!! If you decide to do lighting mods try to stay away from vled's products, i've been having some problems with their products.
Old 06-01-11, 06:47 PM
149MAX
Pole Position

I'm going to assume that the fogs aren't HID? I will definitely be looking into lighting. Could anybody guide me on good HID fog brands, and also LED interior lighting? Keep in mind, I'm in Canada, so I might have to get certain parts shipped or something :'(

EDIT: haha I guess nobody none of you guys have too much experience with the 2IS in the snow lol. Hopefully I'll do well with my current pair of snows in the upcoming canadian winter.

Also, is there.. if any performance mods for the IS 350? Not that I would be interested in such mods so soon, but just something for me to think about.

Thanks.

Last edited by 149MAX; 06-01-11 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-01-11, 09:24 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to assume that the fogs aren't HID? I will definitely be looking into lighting. Could anybody guide me on good HID fog brands, and also LED interior lighting? Keep in mind, I'm in Canada, so I might have to get certain parts shipped or something :'(

EDIT: haha I guess nobody none of you guys have too much experience with the 2IS in the snow lol. Hopefully I'll do well with my current pair of snows in the upcoming canadian winter.

Also, is there.. if any performance mods for the IS 350? Not that I would be interested in such mods so soon, but just something for me to think about.

Thanks.
Stock fogs are not HID.
There are other members in Canada and the east coast that have AWD and the like for the snow.
Intake, headers, mid pipe, exhaust. That's about it. Some of those parts may be illegal. In CA they are. Welcome to CL
Old 06-01-11, 09:28 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
welcome post pics!!
lol dont they all look the same from start? thats what someone told me when i requested for pictures.
Old 06-01-11, 09:38 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Thanks.
2IS awd does well in the snow . I was climbing a slope during the winter while other cars had to turn back or were stuck spinning their wheels. I just went around them. I had on General altimax arctic tires. I heard the Blizzs were also good, but I decided to spend less on a decent rated snow tire that I mounted to my oem rims.
Old 06-01-11, 10:28 PM
149MAX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Stock fogs are not HID.
There are other members in Canada and the east coast that have AWD and the like for the snow.
Intake, headers, mid pipe, exhaust. That's about it. Some of those parts may be illegal. In CA they are. Welcome to CL
Would those be the F-mods? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere all of that could be done at the dealership, or at least you could purchase the parts there. And what about supercharging your IS?
Old 06-02-11, 12:22 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Check out : http://is.sewellparts.com/

Select your model and select "fsport" on the left. That's what you can get at the dealer or from Sewell. Looks of talk about the wheels, springs, and sways. So you may want to look into those.
Old 06-02-11, 03:17 AM
149MAX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ddhleigh
Check out : http://is.sewellparts.com/

Select your model and select "fsport" on the left. That's what you can get at the dealer or from Sewell. Looks of talk about the wheels, springs, and sways. So you may want to look into those.
Wow! Thanks, that's really helpful.
Old 06-02-11, 04:51 AM
KvnChu
Driver

instead of using the f springs to lower your car, since you will be driving in snow, i suggest getting coilovers instead that gives you the ability to adjust to a higher height when there is snow on the ground and lower when the snow melts.

might make getting snow chains on the tires easier too if the season turns really ugly

i heard the blizzaks are good snow tires too, but i live in cali so what do i know

For mods, I believe the rear sway bar should be the first thing you do, it makes a WORLD of difference to the handling of the car

OH and congrats on your new ride!!

Last edited by KvnChu; 06-02-11 at 04:55 AM.

Quick Reply: New member here! (some questions)