IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 09:02 AM
HerrHepcat
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well I just bought one.

2006 IS350 - Matador Red with Light Gray Interior (forgot the color name). Luxury package, park assist, and headlamp washers. Just under 70k miles.

Paid $21k at Stahl Motors in Monterey.

Thanks to this guide, I feel REALLY good about the purchase.
Attached Thumbnails Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)-lexusis350.jpg  
Old 12-18-12, 08:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

06->07:
Shark fin added
Trunk/gas buttons relocated slightly and illuminated
X package offered for first time

07->08:
More rear legroom due to reshaped seatbacks
Improved steering feel
Default illuminated scuff color changed from blue to white
18" wheel color changed to liquid graphite
Coin holder added to dash
(this is the best looking year IMHO)
Cashmere carpet/mats changed to black for cashmere interior (this was a mid-year change, early 08s still got all cashmere)

08->09: First facelift year
Turn signals added to revised side mirrors
Changes to front/'rear bumpers/grill/tails
Some minor interior trim changes
Cashmere interior replaced with Ecru

09->10
Bluetooth now available without nav
Audio system upgraded with USB port and native ipod interface
XM now standard rather than an option
Nav system updated to 6th gen (realtime traffic and other improvements, HD based instead of DVD)
X package no longer offered
Mark Levinson WITHOUT Nav no longer offered

10->11: Second facelift year
Some more changes to front/rear of exterior
Headlights changed to LED strip DRLs
HIDs now standard on 350
Several options REMOVED from car- AFS, PCS, and pass. side memory
Sport package replaced with (IMHO) much inferior F-sport package

11->12:
Headlights changed a bit again (there's a thread on this)
That's the only change I'm aware of off hand
Add:
- Traction Control moved to left of steering wheel near trunk/fuel door, ECT/SNOW stay on same side albeit moved to old traction location

12->13
- New Ultra White offered
- Newest Navigation system with Enform App Suite
- AM/FM/CD/AUX buttons removed on console, replaced with a pause/play, seek track button
Old 01-13-13, 07:52 AM
mossis1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought an 07 IS350 with 75k for $16k...im pumped.
Old 01-13-13, 08:29 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Do the 07-08's have Bluetooth?
And is Bluetooth audio available on those?
Old 01-13-13, 02:26 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NocturnaLL
Do the 07-08's have Bluetooth?
Only if the car has nav, and only for phone calls

Originally Posted by NocturnaLL
And is Bluetooth audio available on those?
Nope. No A2DP audio until 2010 models.
Old 01-13-13, 02:28 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Add:
- Traction Control moved to left of steering wheel near trunk/fuel door, ECT/SNOW stay on same side albeit moved to old traction location

12->13
- New Ultra White offered
- Newest Navigation system with Enform App Suite
- AM/FM/CD/AUX buttons removed on console, replaced with a pause/play, seek track button

They finally put a pause button on a Lexus stereo? Man, only took em 22 years!

How do you swap between inputs though on 2013s? (esp without nav) Hopefully the answer isn't "Just keep hitting the mode button on the steering till you get the one you want..."
Old 03-19-13, 02:58 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudstryf
I had my Cam shaft gears updated a few months ago, not sure if this is what you're talking about?

For a little over a year I would hear a rasping rattle noise coming from the engine compartment right at start up. This would only happen after I had driven the car to a normal operating temperature, then letting it cool off for about an hour. Apon restarting the car, I would hear the noise for just under a second. I sounds like spinning part is rubbing against its housing as it starts up. Again, this would only happen after getting the engine up to temp, and then letting it cool for an hour, never happened on a cold start.

I have an 06 IS350. Not sure if this helps.
Any updates on this? I've noticed this same exact noise on my '09 IS350. In 50k miles I've not done anything but change oil and put gas in it (about to drop $1500 doing maintenance and tires), so she's been incredibly reliable otherwise!
Old 03-19-13, 03:39 PM
jnguyenyo
Rookie

Just bought my SGM IS350. This thread helps a lot! Great thread, lots of goodd stuff in here.
Old 03-23-13, 11:11 AM
Molfeens
Driver School Candidate

Default Looking at 2012 IS350 with <4,000 miles for $30k

Howdy folks. New member. Have been reading the forum for a few months. Have been doing research for months and have decided to go with a 350 2010 to 2012 with less than 20k miles.

I found a 2012 with options I want, LOW miles and a great price out of state. It has an accident on the car fax no air bag deployment. I have it at a Lexus dealership being checked out right now.

Curious to hear thoughts on whether an IS 350 with an accident is worth considering or not.

One note, I will be keeping whatever car I buy long term 150k miles or me.

Thanks
Old 05-30-13, 01:02 PM
is350lover
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,

I want to buy an 06 IS350 with 19K miles. Here is its Lexus dealer history report. Can someone look at it and tell me what was changed that is good and what was not changed that needed to be changed and/or what bothers you about the cars history if you were to buy this car.

Thanks!

Last edited by is350lover; 05-30-13 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-22-13, 03:22 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I just popped for a 2010 250 AWD with Tech, 28k miles. Car looks pristine. Came up with short list and wanted your opinion:

-asked for 30k service - a $650 item. they claim it was done but "charged to the wrong car". the history doesn't show it, i will insist that they update the history and provide proof.

-some curb rash on wheels - they will fix it
-small chip on rear bumper was touched up with paint. ithe car is obsidian (black} and i spotted it in the bright sun. they said they will look but that CPO cars had "wear and tear"
-refused to update the NAV maps - quoted $309 cost

What can I do on the chip thing, it's barely noticeable but I asked them to rub it out or redo it. Lexus CPO verbiage says the car finish should be like new with no blems.
I want to make sure about the 30k service obviously. What sold me on the car is that it had records of every service at 1k,,5k then 5k intervals the rest of the way..The NAV update they won't budge on. I saw the Lexus price was $169 for the USB drive plus installation. I am searching for a DIY but have come up with nothing.
Old 06-22-13, 04:13 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jsmith
I just popped for a 2010 250 AWD with Tech, 28k miles. Car looks pristine. Came up with short list and wanted your opinion:

-asked for 30k service - a $650 item. they claim it was done but "charged to the wrong car". the history doesn't show it, i will insist that they update the history and provide proof.

-some curb rash on wheels - they will fix it
-small chip on rear bumper was touched up with paint. ithe car is obsidian (black} and i spotted it in the bright sun. they said they will look but that CPO cars had "wear and tear"
-refused to update the NAV maps - quoted $309 cost

What can I do on the chip thing, it's barely noticeable but I asked them to rub it out or redo it. Lexus CPO verbiage says the car finish should be like new with no blems.
I want to make sure about the 30k service obviously. What sold me on the car is that it had records of every service at 1k,,5k then 5k intervals the rest of the way..The NAV update they won't budge on. I saw the Lexus price was $169 for the USB drive plus installation. I am searching for a DIY but have come up with nothing.
I just did the 30k service, I have a 2010 IS 250. Lexus overcharge big time for that. The only thing that is included in that service is change the break oil(i did it at toyota for $99) OIl chance, engine filter and cabin filter(I bought them from swells and install them myself) and that's pretty much it. you can do all that with $150- $200 easily.
Old 06-22-13, 04:27 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I just did the 30k service, I have a 2010 IS 250. Lexus overcharge big time for that. The only thing that is included in that service is change the break oil(i did it at toyota for $99) OIl chance, engine filter and cabin filter(I bought them from swells and install them myself) and that's pretty much it. you can do all that with $150- $200 easily.
Thanks, I can do all that, even the brake fluid change. I guess I'm being **** about the service history. I tend to hang on to my cars and do all the maint myself once it falls off the warranty period. Even the chip can be fixed properly for 75-100 bucks. Glad that they agreed to fix the curb rash though.
Old 06-25-13, 09:28 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

At signing, the closer threw the mandatory spiel about additional coverage. I didn't get anything - they suggested the tire/wheel coverage as well as the CPO extension. Both seemed pricey to me. I am not too worried about post warranty repairs and tires are normal wear and tear items. I know they are lower profile but still, I know I won't use up the $900 or whatever it is they want. They said that the offer was available only on the day of the sale but since I have not taken possession (they are fixing the curb rash) I have until delivery to make up my mind. Is there anything worth taking? I know the conventional wisdom is to just shake your head....
Old 07-10-13, 05:39 AM
RoyLPita
Rookie

Arrow

Originally Posted by nixx621
Does anyone know what "package" or upgrade that puts factory LEDs in the map lights/dome and puddle lamps? I've seen it on several premium package 250s but can't find any info about it anywhere.
I believe it was in 2009 when the moonroof rotary dial changed to two seperate switches for tilt and slide and the "SOS" button added.

BTW, I've seen AWDs with the Premium package.

My apologies for reviving this "old" thread.

Quick Reply: Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)