IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 07:48 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scream2188
Hi I'm planning on buying a 2006 is250 6spd, with 60000km. List price is $19000, is there any major problems that I should watch out for?
What options does the car have? The 60,000 mile service would be due and that's an extra $500 depending on the Lexus dealer, so maybe you can talk the price down a bit.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized you wrote "km" not "mi".

The 2 biggest things you'll need to look out for (both of which should still be covered under the powertrain warranty) are the hesitation at stop light issue due to carbon buildup, and the cold start noise issue. Sorry, I can't recall the TSIB's off hand.

Last edited by Thinktwice; 03-15-11 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-17-11, 08:25 AM
tin369
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum and lexus - buying question

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and potentially going to be to lexus as well. I had a 98 toyota camry which I sold and have a Rav4 V6 sports now.

My wife had always liked the Lexus as a brand and that status thing I guess it gives when you say 'ohh I drive a lexus'

i am researching a few cars and would like you opinion on IS250 and others if you guys can provide it.

Acura TSX 4cyl (good gas milage), lexus IS250, Acura TL.

Now we don't want to get a german car because of high maintenance cost, so how is it with the IS250? Also important to us is the ride quality. We don't want something that has a harsh ride quality. Is the IS250 very bumpy, I have lower back pain and don't want to feel all the bumps and potholes shaking body from head to toe. Also it should be comfortable to drive long distance.

We are looking for certified pre-owned...which year should be we look into which has least problems and also a good price.
Old 03-17-11, 08:53 AM
Peaches79
Rookie

I had a 2005 TSX, a 2007 TL and now an 06' 350..I have only driven a 250 a handful of times..
My TL turned out to be a lemmon and was bought back from Honda Mfg. I did enjoy the TSX though, it was a very smooth ride, no problems, and low maintence costs. I think the 250 is also a pretty nice ride too. Since this IS a Lexus forum I would say go with the 250 But you will need to go test drive each one to get a feel for them
Old 03-17-11, 09:27 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and potentially going to be to lexus as well. I had a 98 toyota camry which I sold and have a Rav4 V6 sports now.

My wife had always liked the Lexus as a brand and that status thing I guess it gives when you say 'ohh I drive a lexus'

i am researching a few cars and would like you opinion on IS250 and others if you guys can provide it.

Acura TSX 4cyl (good gas milage), lexus IS250, Acura TL.

Now we don't want to get a german car because of high maintenance cost, so how is it with the IS250? Also important to us is the ride quality. We don't want something that has a harsh ride quality. Is the IS250 very bumpy, I have lower back pain and don't want to feel all the bumps and potholes shaking body from head to toe. Also it should be comfortable to drive long distance.

We are looking for certified pre-owned...which year should be we look into which has least problems and also a good price.
First of all, as with all "should I buy" questions on here, the first recommendation is go drive all of them (which I'm sure you'll do).

You're right in avoiding German cars because of maintenance and repair costs and reliability, speaking as someone who came from a Mercedes E55.

The TSX and IS250 are natural competitors, as they're very similar in many respects. The IS250 will be quicker than the TSX, even though it has similar HP/torque ratings (not sure if that matters to you). Subjectively, from my time in both cars, I've found the IS250 to have better ride quality. I found the TSX to be a more sport-tuned, and therefore tighter/harsher, suspension. I think overall you'll find that the IS250, when stock, is really more of a luxury car than a sports car, which seems to be what you're looking for. In my opinion, the TSX is definitely still luxurious, but not as much so as the IS and the TSX has a stiffer ride.

I went for a certified pre-owned 2007 IS350. I think you'll find that there are very few differences in years of the IS until you get into when there were refreshes. For example, the 2006-2008 models may be slightly different than the 2009+ models, since in '09 there was a model refresh (other posters could shed more light on what the differences were exactly). But I don't think there were huge changes to the car between '08 and '09, so I'd say look for the year that allows you to find a CPO car that matches your budget, since the car hasn't really changed much in its second-generation life.

I think going CPO is the way to go personally, if you can afford it. I'm slightly risk-averse, so I like the peace of mind. The other benefit of CPO though is that you don't have to worry about what the problems on the car are. For example, I know the car's had some recalls and recurring issues (valve spring, etc - I can't elaborate much because these issues happened before I bought the car, other posters will know), but you don't have to worry about these issues if your car is CPO. They'll be covered for the whole period of the warranty.

What's your budget?
Old 03-17-11, 10:28 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Acura TL, Acura TSX and BMW 328i were cars i was comparing with my IS250 before i had bought it. I liked the TL, but there were some reports of transmission issues (mainly in the 04's) that were supposedly fixed afterwards. I had enough transmission issues with my old car (Honda Prelude) so i skipped that model, although i did like pretty much everything else. Acura TSX (08 and 09) were really nice. I almost did buy an 09, regardless of how much i didn't like the front grill (the JDM replacement looks amazing tho) but i just couldn't get a good deal on one. The car was very smooth though, i would say its just as smooth as the IS250. The BMW i avoided because of high maintenance costs and i just didn't want a 328i since everyone had one and a fully loaded and certified one was overly expensive at the dealers despite having miles and age.

I'm happy i went with the IS250, the ride is super smooth (i'm enjoying it before i switch to coilovers ) and it just looks really good in starfire pearl even when its stock. The best part is im averaging over 31mpg and i drive 70-75 on the highway, my buddy has a 4cyl TSX (06 i believe?) and he gets 30 only when hes cruising around 65 lol. Love the IS250!

But like everyone else says, ride comfort is subjective, you gotta drive em all to know how it really feels
Old 03-17-11, 11:11 AM
tin369
Rookie

Some of the terms used are new to me and I apologize for the ignorance. Stock, Coilovers etc.

I would like it to be under $25, is it possible? Also, I think its very true that ride quality is subjective. What someone finds smooth may be bumpy/harsh for me. I will definitely go test drive...

31mpg on a V6 is really good....
@calvin... where did u buy your 07 CPO from and if u don't mind me asking for how much? I live in Delaware so I can go and buy from MD
Old 03-17-11, 11:32 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the terms used are new to me and I apologize for the ignorance. Stock, Coilovers etc.

I would like it to be under $25, is it possible? Also, I think its very true that ride quality is subjective. What someone finds smooth may be bumpy/harsh for me. I will definitely go test drive...

@calvin... where did u buy your 07 CPO from and if u don't mind me asking for how much? I live in Delaware so I can go and buy from MD
Don't apologize, everyone starts somewhere with their knowledge of cars, you'll learn more the longer your on Clublexus

Stock = car is factory condition. no modifications

Coilovers = type of suspension that makes ride height adjustable and, is usually, stiffer then stock suspension for better handling.

31mpg isn't typical though, i drive mostly highway so my gas mileage may be very different from yours. keep that in mind

Yes you should be able to find a IS250 for under $25,000 easily. Mine (2007 Lexus IS250 CPO w/38,500 miles) was $24,500 sticker price. And that was in San Diego where cars are usually expensive. You should be able to find one for around $23,000 where you are.
Old 03-17-11, 12:38 PM
calvin2376
Racer

I bought mine from Lexus of Rockville, at the time they just happened to have the right car at the right price. It was for $24,500 and the car had 56k on it. So depending on what mileage you're comfortable with, because 250's are less expensive than 350's you could probably get an '08 or '09 with comparable mileage CPO under $25. I'd just shop around.
Old 03-17-11, 05:47 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

I'll be the first one to agree the German cars lack of reliability needs to be considered closely, but I will also defend the German car as well. If you buy a certified car, or one under warranty, you will always be covered financially, and like Lexus you are provided a nice loaner durring any service being done (Guess where Lex got the idea). Having a second car takes most the rest of the uncertainty away.

"Status" is a completely different story as well. So far, I find the Lex crowd more of a street kid image that likes wearing their ball caps backwards! whereas the Euro clubs create dozens of events yearly from winter driving schools to multiple full scale track days for its members (Example). Wine tasting while attending hot air balloon gatherings, and visits to local museums or observatories is part of the regular Euro gatherings (They focus on the "drive" to these events because they believe the "drive" is what a car is all about). Much more upscale a group of people.
I understand "Status" can mean many things to many people, but in my experience coming from the active Euro crowd to the Lex world seems to put me back in a ho-hum group of teenagers talking bout "slamming" cars instead of driving them....and I find that terribly disappointing.

In favor of the Lex, my '06 Audi was a maintenance nightmare that made me look for more reliable alternatives, and although the Lex is not as fun to drive, I have yet to see a single check engine light!

I spend a lot of time on Interstate between Washington Idaho, Oregon and California, and my Audi was a far easier car to drive distances than my IS.
This is something I have been trying to address, but lack of an adjustable suspension limits your ability to fine tune the car, and leaves your arm muscles sore after covering 400 to 700 miles of fighting road crown.

The IS is certainly a good car, but fails in many other ways.

All that said, under $25k is also putting you in a very limited German market.

My humble opinion...
Vince

(Excuse me, I need to go run for my flame proof suit now.....)

Last edited by CleverName; 03-17-11 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 06:00 PM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

Lexus FTW!
Old 03-18-11, 05:40 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by CleverName
I'll be the first one to agree the German cars lack of reliability needs to be considered closely, but I will also defend the German car as well. If you buy a certified car, or one under warranty, you will always be covered financially, and like Lexus you are provided a nice loaner durring any service being done (Guess where Lex got the idea). Having a second car takes most the rest of the uncertainty away.

"Status" is a completely different story as well. So far, I find the Lex crowd more of a street kid image that likes wearing their ball caps backwards! whereas the Euro clubs create dozens of events yearly from winter driving schools to multiple full scale track days for its members (Example). Wine tasting while attending hot air balloon gatherings, and visits to local museums or observatories is part of the regular Euro gatherings (They focus on the "drive" to these events because they believe the "drive" is what a car is all about). Much more upscale a group of people.
I understand "Status" can mean many things to many people, but in my experience coming from the active Euro crowd to the Lex world seems to put me back in a ho-hum group of teenagers talking bout "slamming" cars instead of driving them....and I find that terribly disappointing.

In favor of the Lex, my '06 Audi was a maintenance nightmare that made me look for more reliable alternatives, and although the Lex is not as fun to drive, I have yet to see a single check engine light!

I spend a lot of time on Interstate between Washington Idaho, Oregon and California, and my Audi was a far easier car to drive distances than my IS.
This is something I have been trying to address, but lack of an adjustable suspension limits your ability to fine tune the car, and leaves your arm muscles sore after covering 400 to 700 miles of fighting road crown.

The IS is certainly a good car, but fails in many other ways.

All that said, under $25k is also putting you in a very limited German market.

My humble opinion...
Vince

(Excuse me, I need to go run for my flame proof suit now.....)
I actually agree with you on the status thing, Lexus "status" is a very different status than German car "status". I think Lexus as a brand definitely conveys a higher status than many brands, but Audi/Mercedes/BMW brands are in a league of their own as far as the upscale, luxury "status" symbols go.

That said, I believe the "status" afforded by German luxury cars is NOT worth the ridiculous costs of maintenance and repair. My last car was a 2003 Mercedes E55 AMG. I won't go into the details (because when I do, I feel like I want to explode) but the car racked up $7,000 in repair (that's right, repair - purely failed parts, not maintenance or regular wear and tear items, and this is on a 66k mile car) bills in 6 months of ownership. And this is the reliability of a car that was $100k new, one of Mercedes' top-of-the-line cars. If that's the reliability you get from their flagship cars, imagine what you'd get from the 300's/320's?

I had to dump that car after 6 months of ownership because it was just too much. I never got to enjoy it; it was always either in the shop or on its way there. The thing that bugged me at the dealer was that every time the service people called me to tell me what was wrong, they'd say "So it's this, this, this, and this, and the bill's $3,000. What's your credit card number?" They almost expect you to thank them for having you fork over the money. Lexus dealers don't do that, and I think that's why Lexus ranks higher in both build quality and service quality.

The AMG had 469hp and was unlike anything I'd ever driven. Obviously it was faster and more thrilling to drive (when it was driveable) than my IS350. But when everything is taken into account, I'd pick my IS350 any day because it's still a blast to drive AND every time I start it up in the morning I don't have to be worried about what new malfunction message will appear.

So you have to ask, is the German car "status" worth paying twice as much in maintenance and repairs and potentially enjoying your car less? I decided it wasn't, and I returned to Lexus where I'll be staying.

Last edited by calvin2376; 03-18-11 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-18-11, 07:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

German car status= "I'm so rich I can afford to overpay for a car that's in the shop most of the time!"

There's a reason the loaner car idea came from German dealers- their owners would've spent too much time walking otherwise
Old 03-18-11, 07:20 AM
sseaman
Driver School Candidate

We just looked at all the cars you listed plus the G35, and decided to go with the IS250. We liked the finish of the Lexus a little more, and I have been a Toyota guy for a long time.
Old 05-25-11, 10:58 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Default Buyer's Guide to Used 2IS - thread addition to FAQ sticky, need input!

I've seen quite a few new threads recently come up with people basically asking what to look out for when considering purchasing a used 2IS. They typically start out: "I'm looking at a used ISX50, can people tell me what to look out for? Any issues, etc?" Each of these new "potential buyer" threads ends up being a carbon copy of the others, with people usually repeating the same points as on other threads.

I looked through the FAQ sticky and was surprised to see there wasn't an entry that served as a general buyer's guide to the used 2IS, so I proposed creating one for inclusion in FAQ, and DaveGS4 agreed it would be a good idea. This will serve as the base thread and will be merged with other similar threads and then will be included in the FAQ.

There's tons of great data out on CL on the 2IS, but it can often be difficult to locate if you're new to the forum and/or are considering purchasing your first 2IS. For example, you could find tons of great info on CL on the dash rattle issue, but you'd need to know it existed first before you went and searched "dash rattle". That's why so many new threads keep popping up from new members asking general questions about 2IS issues. I know it'd have been hugely helpful to me if prior to my recent used 2IS purchase, I'd been able to check one single thread for all the info I'd need to know or look out for when examining cars and considering purchase.

The thread will be a list of issues/things to look out for that are common to all 2IS (e.g. dash rattle, windshield molding), then sublists for 250-specific issues (e.g. carbon build-up TSIB) and 350-specific issues (e.g. valve spring recall).

So please help me and all other potential buyers of used 2IS by submitting issues/concerns that should be considered when purchasing or considering purchasing a 2IS. I'll get us started, and then as posts come in I'll edit the first few posts so that they're all contained at the beginning as best possible. And if you have any other recommendations or ideas for improving the thread, post that as well!

The other thing I thought would be helpful is a list of differences between model years (both in standard equipment and options); if this exists already (which it very well may) please send a link. There's a thread in the FAQ for general 2IS specs, but it's for 2006 only.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1) General Pre-Purchase Tips
2) Common Issues to Watch for on the 2IS
3) Information on 2IS Options

i) Option Packages
ii) Standalone Options
4) Information on Lexus Extended Warranties
i) CPO Warranty
ii) VSA Warranties
iii) Warranty Availability
iv) Warranty Pricing
5) Relevant Club Lexus Threads to Potential 2IS Buyers

1) General Pre-Purchase Tips:

- Go to the Lexus.com owner's section and sign up as an owner and input the VIN of the car you're looking at to obtain the detailed Lexus service history: link is here https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...serviceHistory. This is more useful and reliable than CarFax (but not bulletproof). Read it carefully. Ensure that there are no open recalls. I also recommend you take note of each TSIB that's been performed on it. If anything appears odd or out of the ordinary, ask the dealer about it. If you're considering purchasing a particular used 2IS from a Lexus dealer, they should provide this to you during the pre-purchase process already. But most non-Lexus dealers and independent shops, as well as private parties, won't know of or have access to the data, so you may have to obtain it yourself. It can also shed light on what specifically the dealer had to do in order to prepare it for sale.

- Read the Club Lexus 2IS FAQ sticky: This is a great resource for both potential new owners and those who have just purchased a 2IS that have questions: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tart-here.html

- IS350 ONLY - Check for extended powertrain warranty:
if you're buying a used IS350 from a private party, check with them to see whether the car has the extended powertrain warranty to 100k miles which Lexus offered as compensation for the valve spring recall which affected IS350 owners. If the car does have this warranty, it's transferable to you (as long as the previous owner is the owner under which the issue occurred and warranty was issued, I believe it's only transferable to one more owner). In some cases owners received $500 gift cards in lieu of the extended warranty, which would mean the car does not have the extended powertrain warranty. The reason this is only applicable to private party sales is that the extended warranty is not transferable to a commercial entity, so if the owner under which the recall was performed and warranty issued then traded it in to a dealer, that car no longer would have the extended powertrain warranty.

2) Common Issues to Watch for on the 2IS:

- Windshield trim/molding cracking: here's a thread that shows pics of what you're looking for, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...blem-pics.html. It's a very common issue on all 2IS; the molding pieces seem to crack and wear down allowing water seepage and creating unwanted wind noise. This issue is covered by the factory 4 yr/50k warranty but not by any extended Lexus warranties.

- Dash rattle: drive the car over uneven surfaces and push on the dash so it flexes up and down at all points of the dash (in front of driver, in the center of the dash, and on the right side). If the dash rattles, creaks, or squeaks when you drive over uneven surfaces or you push on the dash at any point, you need both TSIB L-SB-0090-08 (Upper/Lower Windshield Tick Noise) and TSIB L-SB-0044-08 (Instrument Panel Rattle) performed. This is a very common, and very irritating, issue that can unfortunately recur even after the dealer attempts to repair. Repair of this issue could cost you $1000+ out of pocket, as the labor is extensive to remove the dash pad. This issue is covered by the factory 4 yr/50k warranty but not by any extended Lexus warranties.

- Check the trunk lip spoiler (if equipped): ensure the adhesive isn't wearing down and the ends are peeling up. The spoiler is attached via screws as well as an adhesive strip. The screws are nearer the center of the spoiler, and over time the adhesive strip can wear down causing the ends of the spoiler to curl upward. If this is the case, your option is to either reapply adhesive underneath or replace the spoiler entirely. This issue is covered by the factory 4 yr/50k warranty but not by any extended Lexus warranties.

- Cam Gear TSIB: the symptom is a grinding/cranking noise from the engine bay, usually right upon starting up the car. It's brief, only a second or two, but sounds like metal-on-metal grinding/cranking/rattling/knocking. It's more of a nuisance than anything else, as it usually does not pose a danger of damaging the car, but it's best to get it addressed if you encounter a car exhibiting this symptom. It afflicts almost every '06-'08 2IS at some point, and dealers should be familiar with the issue. It is covered by the 6 year/70k mile powertrain warranty as well as all Lexus extended warranties. It affects both the 250 and the 350; the TSIBs are L-SB-0156-08 for the IS350, and L-SB-0155-08 for the IS250. See this link for more information: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html

- Carbon Build-Up TSIB: the symptoms are rough idle, surging RPMS at stop light low idle with vehicle shaking as if it was about to stall, and cylinder misfire codes. This issue affects only the 250 and is covered under the 6 year/70k mile powertrain warranty as well as all Lexus extended warranties. See this link for more information: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html

3) Information on 2IS Options:

Be very careful when reading car listings, especially online - many aren't fully correct or complete, and some are just blatantly false. For example, you may see an ad that says the car has Mark Levinson sound. However, only if the Mark Levinson logo is present near the audio controls on the dash does the car actually have this option, so check the interior pictures closely. And never believe an ad that says "fully loaded", because as you'll see, there are many options for the 2IS and in reality, the car is very probably missing at least a few.

You can use the below section to determine what packages/options the car you're looking at has and which it does not.

i) Option Packages:

Premium Package: Heated/ventilated seats and woodgrain only.
HOW TO TELL IF CAR HAS IT: If it has ventilated seats and does NOT have memory seats.

Luxury Package: Same as premium PLUS memory seats, rain-sensing wipers, HIDs, power tilt/telescope steering wheel, auto dim/tilt side mirrors, illuminated scuff plates, and power rear sunshade. Usually also comes with 18" wheels but it's possible to get it with 17". Can't be combined with any other package on this list.
HOW TO TELL: If it has memory seats AND woodgrain.

Sport Package: Same as Luxury Package except you do NOT get woodgrain, power rear sunshade, or illuminated scuff plates, but you DO add the sport suspension, sport pedals, and aluminum scuff plates. Always includes the 18" wheels. Can't be combined with any other option package on this list. No longer offered on 2011 and newer models.
HOW TO TELL: If it has memory seats and does NOT have woodgrain.

NOTE: Memory seats are only driver, not passenger, for 2011 and newer models.

F-Sport Package (2011+ Models Only): 18" wheels, sport suspension, heated (NOT ventilated) front seats, microfiber seat inserts, aluminum door-sill plates, sport pedals, front and rear spoiler, grille inserts, F-Sport steering wheel, shift ****, seats, and badge.
HOW TO TELL: Visually obvious with the F-Sport labeled seats/wheel, etc.

X-Package ('07-'10 Models Only): Illuminated scuff plates, sport suspension, sport pedals, front lip spoiler, and special 5-spoke 18" wheels; nothing else from the other packages. This package can not be combined with the Sport or Luxury Packages but can combine with Premium Package.
HOW TO TELL: 5-spoke wheels are the easiest way.

ii) Standalone Options:

These options are unrelated to and independent of what packages the car may otherwise have unless it's part of a package the car already includes.

HIDs: '06 models could only get this as part of the Sport or Luxury Package. For '07+, it's an available standalone option.
HOW TO TELL: Check the multi-switch to the lower left of the steering wheel that looks like <0>; if you have an AFS ON/OFF option you have HIDs.

18" Wheels: Visually obvious

Rear Trunk Lip Spoiler: Visually obvious

Navigation: This includes bluetooth and backup camera.
HOW TO TELL: Navigation screen is visually obvious.

Mark Levinson: This is an upgraded sound system. It can be ordered with or without Navigation, but you only get a DVD-changer if it's with Navigation; comes with CD-changer otherwise)
HOW TO TELL: Mark Levinson logo on the head unit.

Park Assist: Distance sensors on the front and rear of the car.
HOW TO TELL: Little circle dots on front/rear bumpers.

Headlamp Washers: Visually obvious small bulges below headlights.

Pre-Collision System (PCS): Radar cruise control, one of the rarest 2IS options. No longer offered on 2011 and newer models.
HOW TO TELL: Special blackish L logo on front grill.

XM Radio: Satellite radio. Standard on '09+ models.
HOW TO TELL: Hit the AM/SAT button a couple times; if you never get anything but AM it doesn't have it. This is very easy to add later.

4) Information on Lexus Extended Warranties:

Lexus has 4 offerings of extended warranties for used cars:

1) Certified Pre-Owned (CPO)
2) Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA)
3) Gold VSA
4) Powertrain VSA.

i) CPO Warranty:

The standard CPO warranty is for 3 years from the date of purchase or until your car reaches 100k miles, whichever comes first. At the time of purchase of a CPO car, you can elect to purchase an extension to your CPO warranty, and you will have your choice of various different lengths of time and mileage limits.

The CPO warranty is an exclusionary warranty, which means it covers everything on the car EXCEPT those items specifically listed. This is in contrast to an inclusionary policy, which covers ONLY those items specifically listed. The former is obviously more attractive, since in general it tends to cover more things.

These are the items that are NOT covered by the Lexus CPO warranty - everything else is covered:

The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.

This link provides more detail on the Lexus CPO warranty: http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...ifitComparison

ii) VSA Warranties:

If the car you are looking at purchasing is still within the factory 4-year/50k-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, you can at any time purchase a VSA (Platinum, Gold, or Powertrain) before the factory warranty expires. If the car you are looking at purchasing is out of the factory 4-year/50k-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, you can ONLY purchase a VSA warranty from Lexus at the time of purchase.

Here is a comparison of the benefits of each VSA warranty:

Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)-untitled.png

Unlike the CPO warranty, the VSA warranties are inclusionary warranties, meaning they only cover the stated covered components. Here is a link to an explanation of the coverages of each policy: http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...nentComparison

iii) Warranty Availability:

At the time of purchase, if it is a CPO car you can elect to purchase an extended CPO warranty OR you can elect to purchase one of the VSAs. The ONLY way to purchase an extended CPO warranty is at the time of purchase of a CPO vehicle. At the time of purchase of a CPO car, you can also elect to purchase an extension to your CPO warranty, and you will have your choice of various different lengths of time and mileage limits.

At the time of purchase of a non-CPO vehicle that is within the last 9 model years, you CAN elect to purchase a Platinum, Gold, or Powertrain VSA, but NOT an extended CPO warranty.

If the car you are looking at purchasing is still within the factory 4-year/50k-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, then you can elect to purchase a VSA (Platinum, Gold, or Powertrain) at any time before the factory warranty expires; it does not need to be at the time of purchase. If it is out of factory warranty, the only time to purchase an extended warranty is at the time of purchase.

iv) Warranty Pricing:

Pricing of extended warranties is not standard and varies based on model, year, and mileage. In addition, different dealers will provide vastly different prices on the exact same warranty. Keep in mind that if you are purchasing a used Lexus from one dealer and you want an extended warranty, you DO NOT need to purchase the warranty from that dealer. You can call a different dealer and purchase the exact same warranty. However it needs to be at the time of purchase - don't buy a car from one dealer then call a different one weeks later hoping to buy an extended warranty.

When you purchase a used Lexus at a dealer, once you negotiate the deal with the salesman, he hands you off to the finance person with whom you handle payment and paperwork. This finance person is tasked with trying to upsell you on various options/warranties/deals. One thing they will offer are extended warranty options. Often these will NOT be the best prices you can obtain because, simply put, they know most buyers do not know they can call a different dealer and purchase the warranty from them, so the purchase-point dealer charges more.

The best thing to to when considering whether you want to purchase an extended warranty is call around to price-shop. Many people on CL have gotten the best extended warranty deals from Jerry Johnson, whose contact information follows:

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 East 30th
Hutchinson, KS 67502
800-530-5789
Cell 620-664-8844
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
www.midwestsuperstore.com

Feel free to contact him or any other dealer and ask about pricing on extended warranties for your specific vehicle.

5) Relevant Threads to Potential 2IS Buyers:

Car Comparisons:

IS250 vs IS350:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ming-pile.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-or-350-a.html

BMW 335i vs IS350:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...in-thread.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...me-advice.html

IS-F vs IS350:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...new-is350.html

Acura TL vs 2IS:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-tl-or-is.html

IS350 vs 2011 Mustang GT
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-gt-auto.html

Discussion of Aspects of 2IS:

Discussion of Model Year Differences:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hich-year.html

2IS Manual vs Automatic:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-or-is350.html

AWD vs RWD for 2IS:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nter-snow.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...the-track.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...wd-vs-awd.html

Gas Mileage in 2IS:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...er-thread.html

Interesting Features of the 2IS:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...iscovered.html

Common TSIBs:

Cam Gear TSIB (L-SB-0156-08 for IS350, L-SB-0155-08 for IS250):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html

Carbon Build-Up TSIB (L-SB-0029-10 for IS250):

Recalls:

Valve Spring Recall (campaign L-CP-ALE-A110-D for IS350):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...all-bonus.html

Fuel Pressure Sensor Recall (campaign L-CP-B2A-A110-D for IS250 and IS350):

Last edited by calvin2376; 06-10-11 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 10:58 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Reserved for future additions

Quick Reply: Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)