IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why wait for parts when Lexus Dealers Will Price Match Sewell

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 05:33 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're over charging you on labor, that's why they don't have a problem with matching.

Most reputable mechanic will charge you at most 80 dollars to change your sparks plug for you.

So while you're paying 358 + 88, most of us are paying about 80 + 88 or doing it ourselves.

Here's another secret. The oil they change at the dealer for 108 dollar is a rip off. You can get the same old change and filter for about half of that anywhere else.

The only time I ever go to dealer is to have a recall done.

Last edited by Initial_K; 05-20-11 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-20-11, 05:55 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Initial_K

Here's another secret. The oil they change at the dealer for 108 dollar is a rip off. You can get the same old change and filter for about half of that anywhere else.
At my dealer, they only charge the $100-150 if you ask for the "scheduled service" for the 5k interval. If you ask how much for an oil & filter change, they quote $60, and so far I've had good luck getting them to top off the tires with nitro and throw in free carwash without me asking. Plus they have nice cubicles with wireless (or networked computers if I don't have the laptop with me) which is a plus. My hope is that when the time comes to sell the car I will be able to say it has been serviced only at the dealership, thus adding to resale value enough to recoup the cost of relatively pricey (compared to jiffy lube at least-- lol) oil changes.
Old 05-20-11, 06:12 PM
BlackFish8
Pole Position

That's great they matched sewell on the spark plugs, but the labor is quite expensive. Most dealerships offer loaners.
Old 05-20-11, 06:20 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm able to get wholesale cost on parts through my wife's work, and it's still always a bit more than Sewell. I got a set of plugs and a cabin filter a couple weeks ago and it was still like $105, but I can get them that day or the next day at worst so I tend to go that route. Sewell I'm sure is able to offer prices like they do because of the "group buy/volume" type setup they promote on places like CL, etc...pretty cool to have an option like Sewell for DIY'ers when parts tend to be more expensive than the average car.
Old 05-20-11, 06:25 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Happy for the OP he got a discount, but don't count on finding a similar story at your dealer. I think first of all they're going to be a lot more willing to work with you, or discount/price-match, if you're also getting the service there, since they're gouging you on that. Second of all, you're likely to find them more willing to price match something small and service-related like spark plugs than other parts.

I attempted to do what the OP did but with the F-Sport sway bars. I called every dealer within 3-4 hours of me to figure out what their prices were for both parts and labor for the sways. Ended up calling about 9 dealers. Not a single one would price match, nor get anywhere close to, Sewell's price. Some would price match other dealers, but not Sewell, nor anywhere else online (a few had reasons like you can't know it's genuine online, etc).

Since I'm coming up for my 60k service, I actually did the same thing as before and called around to 4 local dealers to get prices on parts and labor for each 60k service (asked about them individually, not in the context of the 60k service). The cheapest price they quoted for 6 plugs was $150 (parts only), which is exactly double what Sewell charges (shows you dealer mark-up on parts). I asked each if they'd price match Sewell, and a few actually guffawed.

So again the conclusion: can't hurt to ask, but don't get your hopes up.
Old 05-23-11, 06:43 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Well...just picked up my car after having plugs changed. I don't know what they did but the total was only $384. My previous quote was 88 for parts and 350 for labor. Maybe they goofed but whatever happened it worked out for me...also saw an immediate albeit miniscule increase in gas mileage with the new plugs.
Old 05-23-11, 09:33 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

ive had touch up paint ($10) price matched with sewell's online clublexus member price ($7.76). when the sales person asked me which dealership was giving me the price of $7.76, i lied and told them two other local dealers which were a bit further out of my way. nonetheless, they said "ok" in a fairly short amount of time and went out to the back to get me my paint. but this is a small touch up paint product.... but hey, i saved me some $$$
Old 05-23-11, 09:58 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went in for a battery tie down and paid the $3.75 but asked about F Sport parts. They didn't have any in view. I mentioned Sewell and the parts guy said "I don't know how they sell their parts at those prices? They're lower than what I pay for them!" I agreed and went about my day.
Old 05-23-11, 11:15 PM
cenix
Driver

anyone in socal try to see if longo lexus/toyota will price match sewell?
Old 05-23-11, 11:24 PM
98023IS250
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if we do not support Sewell, then why would they continue to support us. I always believe that you buy from the person that gives you the good price first and not give the business to the Dealer that will match.

Just the way I am.
Old 05-24-11, 01:20 AM
HERBos
Lead Lap

ppl are just trying to find other ways to come up more

i dont know its
Old 06-10-11, 08:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just as a follow up to this... my car is at the dealer getting a couple other things done (mostly free/warranty stuff), and I figured I'd see if they were willing to price-match Sewell on the smart-key credit card... I told them Sewell had it for $260 shipped, and if they could match that price and program it I'd be happy to give them the business instead.

They came back with $353 as the best they could do on the card, plus another $60 to program it.

So as expected Sewell will be getting that particular sale- though I'll still be stuck going to the dealer for the programming.
Old 06-10-11, 08:12 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i gotta try this with the lexus in san diego
Old 06-10-11, 09:58 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Default Business is Business...don't make it TOO Personal

Originally Posted by 98023IS250
if we do not support Sewell, then why would they continue to support us. I always believe that you buy from the person that gives you the good price first and not give the business to the Dealer that will match.

Just the way I am.
I can completely see your point regarding loyalty and it is to be commended. I have often turned down slightly better interest rates from Bank B because I was super loyal to bank A. I get it. You have to do what's best for you. Also, I don't believe that us getting prices matched by the dealership will put Sewell out of business or affect their bottom line. Most people don't care to have the price match conversation so the volume of business lost by Sewell would be minimal at best. I appreciate what Sewell does for us and I'm fairly certain that there will be plenty of times when Lexus will NOT be able to or willing to match Sewell.
Old 06-10-11, 10:30 PM
Lqdcourage
Rookie

Pays to know someone who knows a Lexus dealer manager! ^_^ (me)

Quick Reply: Why wait for parts when Lexus Dealers Will Price Match Sewell