IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone have any experience selling/buying an IS with an accident claim?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 12:41 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any experience selling/buying an IS with an accident claim?

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with selling or buying an IS (IS250 AWD) with an accident on record. I just recently got into an accident and the insurance company says there was $5000 worth of damage.

I'm considering selling the 2009 IS250 AWD with approx 16000km, but not sure if it'll be worth it and at what loss. There was no frame, engine, alignment, or anything major damage. It was basically cosmetic, driver side front and back fender plus door. passenger side front fender. Both front wheels.

So my question to you is, would you even consider a car that has been in an accident with the details I gave? If you have experience, how much value did the car decrease?

Any feedback good or bad is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-18-11, 01:00 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some people are pickier than others. i dont see a reason why not to buy a car with an accident as long as its not salvaged title and the repairs are done right. paint matches, all fender, hood gaps all line up

if i were selling i wouldnt go around advertising the damage but if i was asked i wouldnt hide it either. i would however list the price a little lower. i would not take 5k off.
Old 05-18-11, 03:40 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was looking for used cars in the last year, I came by many that were in accidents as indicated in Carfax. All of them I didn't even consider to purchase. Some had mismatched paint, unaligned bumpers or hoods, and some with frame damage. From what I saw, the ones even with frame damage were just $3,000 less. If there's no serious damage, no salvaged title, and if all the repair/paint work is done properly, it shouldn't lose too much value and neither would it scare away buyers.
Old 05-18-11, 04:10 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My only advice is document, document, document. Keep every record of repair, the police report, and photos of before and after the accident and before and after the repair, etc..

There's no getting around the fact that you'll have to price your car lower than others due to the fact that it's been in an accident. And put simply there are people that will skip over an ad for a car that's been in an accident no matter what.

One of the reasons for this is that people feel they can't trust the seller at his or her word that the accident was "just cosmetic". However, if you can provide all the documentation I listed above, and especially if you have a dealer or shop report stating no frame damage, etc, you'll be in a much better position to sell the car.
Old 05-18-11, 08:06 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to say, but when i was buying my is i rejected any car with a Accident report because in the long run, you dont know how that accident may affect the cars overall condition/performance. Needless to say, Buyers like myself prefer a car with no accidents to get that extra sense of security.
Old 05-18-11, 08:44 PM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
My only advice is document, document, document. Keep every record of repair, the police report, and photos of before and after the accident and before and after the repair, etc..

There's no getting around the fact that you'll have to price your car lower than others due to the fact that it's been in an accident. And put simply there are people that will skip over an ad for a car that's been in an accident no matter what.

One of the reasons for this is that people feel they can't trust the seller at his or her word that the accident was "just cosmetic". However, if you can provide all the documentation I listed above, and especially if you have a dealer or shop report stating no frame damage, etc, you'll be in a much better position to sell the car.
I agree with the "Document, Document, Document"!!!

Because many people with severely wrecked cars say that it was a "little accident" but have no proof.

I once bought a car with a previous accident and even though it wasnt a bad accident it had many little things go wrong and it had noises that other cars like it didnt have. So I stayed away from cars that had been in an accident in my latest car search.

Either way, I suggest being honest when asked about it.
Old 05-18-11, 08:56 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll make sure to get documents. Luckily I took pictures of the accident scene and the damage the same day.
Old 05-18-11, 09:02 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Well it still losses it value so book value isnt except anymore by the buyer just a thought when selling.
Old 05-19-11, 01:26 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Pretty much all of the posts summed it up. The value will no longer be the same as a non-accident vehicle, but alas...it is a Lexus still. You've got pics of the accident and the damages...that's good. Just keep documentation from the insurance company and the repair company saying what all was replaced and what not. As long as in the CarFax it doesn't say frame damage or major accident, I'd still be interested personally. But a buyer just has to know what to look for.

Example, I "was" looking at a '07 IS 350 on AutoTrader in my neighboring city of Columbia, SC. The guy had the car listed for below KBB and it already had IS-F wheels on it. What's not to like! Well, that listing gave no CarFax link to view...but he said the car was in a minor accident and he specifically stated no frame damage, only cosmetic. Being the savy car-buyer I was also scouting out Ebay, were I saw the exact same car! This time, the listing had a CarFax link and what do you know. CarFax said a major accident has occurred and there was frame damage. Scratch that one off the list! LOL

GL on your decision.