IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

humming noise that increases w/ speed

Old 05-01-11, 07:00 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default humming noise that increases w/ speed

I believe the noise comes from the front of my car. 2006 IS250
I would compare it to a flat tire sound but a bit more quiet. The speed of the noise increases with the speed of the car. There is no vibration associated with the noise.

Any ideas?

**Update**
I've checked all lugs are torqued correctly.
I've removed my foot from accelerator and still hear the noise even when coasting.
If I remove my hands from steering wheel the car only veers to the right side of lane by a degree so I know my alignment is good.
If I brake hard I have no vibration or any more noise.
I only hear it when the radio is off or below volume level 3. (No I don't want to drive with the radio on all the time)

I'm beginning to think the front tires need replacing or perhaps a balance

Last edited by CCJ22; 05-02-11 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-01-11, 07:59 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

my guess is tires.

certain tire brands/models create more road noise than others.

might want to check your tires to make sure they are properly inflated and if there are any signs of abnormal wear.
Old 05-01-11, 08:04 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Dually noted.
I checked to make sure that all the lugs were seated correctly and tq'ed to spec.
I also attempted to jiggle the wheels (to see if it was a wheel hub was going out) but that checked out too.
Thanks for input.
Old 05-01-11, 10:39 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this the same issue as the thread below?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-40-45mph.html
Old 05-01-11, 11:00 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cloo7
is this the same issue as the thread below?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-40-45mph.html
I wish. Mine happens from 1mph till however fast I decide 2go
Old 05-02-11, 12:13 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

AWD or RWD?

If it's AWD, maybe what you're hearing is the transfer case that is near the the driver's right foot. That sound would be audible throughout the front dash area. Nothing could be done about that, if this is what you are referring to.
Old 05-02-11, 04:59 AM
bucd
Driver School Candidate

How long have this sound been there? Any new parts/replacement recently?

Also, i know there's no vibration when you accelerate, but if you apply brakes firmly from about 45mph or so, does it vibrate? if so, pedal? steering wheel? or both? And at that same time, does it pull to right or left?

If it's vibrating when you brake in pedal and steering wheel, most likely warped front rotors. If it's vibrating slightly just on the pedal, then it may be rear rotors, but i'm doubting that if you are hearing sound from the front. If it pulls, they obviously need alignment and possibly tires depending on how old they are, if it's wearing unevenly.

I hate these small noises that's hard to figure out. I'm dealing with one myself.

-D
Old 05-02-11, 07:30 AM
hotwheels1
Driver School Candidate

I have a similar sound to yours. It first appeared around christmas and 4 - 5 days later after changing tires I thought it would dissapear but it was still there. Since then, I have changed front brake pads (the rear still have a lot material left). I also changed both front wheels bearing hubs but the sound is still there.

Next on my list is replacing the rear diff. oil and new front rotors... I'm going to change them this coming weekend so will let you know if the sound has gone away.

Rgds

George
Old 05-02-11, 08:52 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sango
AWD or RWD?

If it's AWD, maybe what you're hearing is the transfer case that is near the the driver's right foot. That sound would be audible throughout the front dash area. Nothing could be done about that, if this is what you are referring to.
It's a RWD I'll update my first post accordingly.
Originally Posted by bucd
How long have this sound been there? Any new parts/replacement recently?

Also, i know there's no vibration when you accelerate, but if you apply brakes firmly from about 45mph or so, does it vibrate? if so, pedal? steering wheel? or both? And at that same time, does it pull to right or left?

If it's vibrating when you brake in pedal and steering wheel, most likely warped front rotors. If it's vibrating slightly just on the pedal, then it may be rear rotors, but i'm doubting that if you are hearing sound from the front. If it pulls, they obviously need alignment and possibly tires depending on how old they are, if it's wearing unevenly.

I hate these small noises that's hard to figure out. I'm dealing with one myself.

-D
I'm beginning to lean more and more on the tires being old and in need of replacing. I checked what you mentioned above just now and the car is straight as an arrow. Even with hands off the steering wheel it only slightly goes towards the right of the lane by 1 degree.
Originally Posted by hotwheels1
I have a similar sound to yours. It first appeared around christmas and 4 - 5 days later after changing tires I thought it would dissapear but it was still there. Since then, I have changed front brake pads (the rear still have a lot material left). I also changed both front wheels bearing hubs but the sound is still there.

Next on my list is replacing the rear diff. oil and new front rotors... I'm going to change them this coming weekend so will let you know if the sound has gone away.

Rgds

George
Thanks George for keeping us updated.
Old 05-02-11, 04:25 PM
bucd
Driver School Candidate

ok....i think next move is this. if you think it's front tires, i would swap out the rear with front and see if sound is still there. (assuming hte tires on back are good of course).

hopefully you can figure it out, mine is driving me nuts.

-D
Old 05-02-11, 06:00 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the usual suspects, based upon my experience over the years

1. Tires. Which tires are you running?

2. Wheel bearing. If you ever hit a pavement hard or a pothole, the wheel bearing can make this sort of noise.
Old 05-02-11, 06:32 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm beginning to think the front tires need replacing or perhaps a balance
Bingo.

10 char
Old 05-02-11, 06:47 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bucd
ok....i think next move is this. if you think it's front tires, i would swap out the rear with front and see if sound is still there. (assuming hte tires on back are good of course).

hopefully you can figure it out, mine is driving me nuts.

-D
Damn, great idea. It's the little things like that I wouldn't have thought about. This weekend I'm going to switch em.
Originally Posted by chikoo
the usual suspects, based upon my experience over the years

1. Tires. Which tires are you running?

2. Wheel bearing. If you ever hit a pavement hard or a pothole, the wheel bearing can make this sort of noise.
I thought bearing too but I've lifted the car and put 1 hand at 12 oclock and other hand at 6 and attempted to shake then at 3 and 9 and tried that way and it's solid. SO it's not bearings but good idea
Originally Posted by nixx621
Bingo.

10 char
Yeap, that's the next thing to do is replace tires.
Old 05-03-11, 07:30 PM
outbid81
Driver School Candidate

While driving, veer left to right (safely) in your lane. If the pitch changes, a wheel bearing is the culprit. A bearing can make noise even if there is no free-play in the wheel.
Old 08-21-11, 08:03 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

To update everyone it was in deed the tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: humming noise that increases w/ speed